It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:30

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [1], given: 155

If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (00:53) correct 36% (00:56) wrong based on 571 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If \(s\) and \(t\) are integers greater than \(1\) and each is a factor of the integer \(n\), which of the following must be a factor of \(n^{st}\)?

1) \(s^t\)

2) \((st)^2\)

3) \(s + t\)

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

You have to dig deep and find out what it takes to reshuffle the cards life dealt you

Last edited by Nevernevergiveup on 22 Oct 2016, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
edited the question

Kudos [?]: 86 [1], given: 155

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6122 [6], given: 121

Re: If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2016, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
if s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer n, which of the following must be a factor of n^st?

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

lets see the choices..

\(1) s^t\)
s^st is a factor, so s^t will also be a factor.. YES

\(2) (st)^2\)
as s and t are >1, in n^st, st will be atleast 4, as minimum value of s and t is 2..
so n^st or min value n^4 = st^4, thus st^2 will always be a factor of n^st.. YES

\(3) s + t\)
we do not know what are the factors of s and t...
NOT necessary

E

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6122 [6], given: 121

7 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1146 [7], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer n, which of the following must be a factor of n^st?

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

Let s =2 and t = 3 and n =6 { Where s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer 6 }

\(n^{st}\) = \(6^6\) =>\({2^6}{3^6}\)

Now check for the options -

1) \(s^t\)= \(2^3\) ( Can be a factor of \({2^6}{3^6}\) )

2) \((st)^2\) = \({s^2}{t^2}\) => \({2^2}{3^2}\) ( Can be a factor of \({2^6}{3^6}\) )

\(3)\) \(s\) \(+\) \(t\) \(=\) \(2\) \(+\) \(3\) = \(5\) ( Can not be a factor of \({2^6}{3^6}\) )

Hence only option E) 1 and 2 follows. :P

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1146 [7], given: 327

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 09:37
chetan2u wrote:
if s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer n, which of the following must be a factor of n^st?

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

lets see the choices..

\(1) s^t\)
s^st is a factor, so s^t will also be a factor.. YES

\(2) (st)^2\)
as s and t are >1, in n^st, st will be atleast 4, as minimum value of s and t is 2..
so n^st or min value n^4 = st^4, thus st^2 will always be a factor of n^st.. YES

\(3) s + t\)
we do not know what are the factors of s and t...
NOT necessary

E

Hi Chetan2U,

From the info given in the problem, I do not think we can write n = x * s * t, where x is integer.

For example, if n = 18, then possible value for s & t can be 9 & 6 respectively.

Then \(n^s^t\) cannot be written as \((xst)^s^t\). So i am still not clear how we can conclude '2' is an answer without putting individual values.

Please let me know if i am missing something. Thanks in advance!!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6122 [0], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 09:52
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
badboson wrote:

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

Hi Chetan2U,

From the info given in the problem, I do not think we can write n = x * s * t, where x is integer.

For example, if n = 18, then possible value for s & t can be 9 & 6 respectively.

Then \(n^s^t\) cannot be written as \((xst)^s^t\). So i am still not clear how we can conclude '2' is an answer without putting individual values.

Please let me know if i am missing something. Thanks in advance!!

Hi,
yes you are correct on the highlighted portion..

we are looking for factor of \(n^{st}\), where s and t are factor of n..
2. \((st)^2\)...
we know s and t are factors of n, and they are >1..
lets assume the max value of s and t as n..
so the term = \(n^{st} = n^{n^2}\)..(i)
and \((st)^2 = (n*n)^2 = (n^2)^2 = n^4\)..(ii)
Now\(n^{n^2} >= n^{2^2} or n^4\).. because if s and t are integers >1 and are factor of n, then n is atleast 2..
so clearly \((st)^2\) is a factor of \(n^{st}\)

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6122 [0], given: 121

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 11:10
Abhishek009 wrote:
If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer n, which of the following must be a factor of n^st?

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

Let s =2 and t = 3 and n =6 { Where s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the integer 6 }

\(n^{st}\) = \(6^6\) =>\({2^6}{3^6}\)

Now check for the options -

1) \(s^t\)= \(2^3\) ( Can be a factor of \({2^6}{3^6}\) )

2) \((st)^2\) = \({s^2}{t^2}\) => \({2^2}{3^2}\) ( Can be a factor of \({2^6}{3^6}\) )

\(3)\) \(s\) \(+\) \(t\) \(=\) \(2\) \(+\) \(3\) = \(5\) ( Can not be a factor of \({2^6}{3^6}\) )

Hence only option E) 1 and 2 follows. :P

Hey Abhishek,
a quick question. Given that I solved the problem the same way (tried 2 & 2 and 3 & 5), on test day would you have tried other cases or would you have trusted your first result?
In the second case, why would you have trusted it?
Abhishek009

Den

ps.
Chetan I clearly value your answer as much. chetan2u

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 36

Current Student
S

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 13:09
Abhishek009 chetan2u Even I want to know as to how can we believe that the example we have chosen will give us an exhaustive list and we will not have to check any further cases.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 06:47

1) s^t

2) (st)^2

3) s + t

A) None

B) 1 only

C) 2 only

D) 3 only

E) 1 and 2

What should be the Best Method to solve this kind of question "WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING MUST BE/ATLEAST"?

I. II. III None

Will test cases be the best method when the clock is running out?

And will our intention be negating the Question stem?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 99

Current Student
S

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 01:13
Can anyone confirm whether taking cases will yield a definite answer? How do we know if we have checked all the cases?

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 49

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 02:38
Keats wrote:
Can anyone confirm whether taking cases will yield a definite answer? How do we know if we have checked all the cases?

N^st = k^st * (st)^st = k^st * s^st * t^st = k^st * (s^t)^s * t^st key is knowing each of s,t >=2 ( nothing in the problem mentioned they are different integers)

now

divide by each given answer option

1- k^st * (s^t)^s * t^st / s^t .... must yield an integer

2- k^st * (st)^st / (st)^2 = k^st * (st)^st-2 ... thus question becomes is it a must that st>=2 the answer is yes since minimum value of ST ( if we assumed they are equal to their possible minimum = 2*2 = 4 ) ...

hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 447 [0], given: 49

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 08:14
s > 1 , t > 1
s,t factors of n
sxt also will be a factor of n
Take s = 2, t =3 , n = 6
1, 2^3 True
2, (2x3)^2 True
3, 3+2 = 5 False

E

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 101

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.6
If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 02:50
We can check this by

n = a*s where a>=1 (s is a factor of n)
n = b*t where b>=1 (t is a factor of n)

1) n^st = (a*s)^st = a^st * s^st = a^st*s^s*s^t
since a^st*s^s is a positive integer thus s^t is a factor

2) for st^2 to be a factor n^st/st^2 should be an integer always
n^st/st^2 = n^st / ((n/a)*(n/b))^2 = n^st/(n^2/ab)^2 = (n^(st-4))*(ab^2)
This is always an integer as st>=4

3) is clearly not a factor

Thus option E

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 19:52
Generally, this kind of "must be true" questions are ideal for number picking. Since it "must be true", any numbers you pick (provided you comply with the conditions mentioned in the question stem) should be valid.

However, we can try an algebraic approach as well (for those, like me, who don't like the number picking approach).

We are told that \(s\) and \(t\) are integers greater than \(1\) and that each one of them is a factor of the integer \(n\). We can take this information as \(n=s^{p}t^{q}\) (regardless of other factors \(n\) could have), where \(p\) and \(q\) are integers greater than \(0\) (since we need \(s\) and \(t\) to be factors of \(n\)). Therefore, \(n^{st}\) is the same as \(s^{pst}t^{qst}\)

Now we can go statement by statement:

I. Is \(\frac{s^{pst}t^{qst}}{s^{t}}\) an integer? \(\rightarrow\) \(s^{pst-t}t^{qst}=s^{t(ps-1)}t^{qst}\). It's important to notice that since \(t\) and \(s\) are greater than \(1\) (according to the question stem) and since \(p\) must be greater than \(0\), then \(t(ps-1)\) will always be positive and therefore \(s^{t(ps-1)}t^{qst}\) will always be an integer. This statement must be true.

II. Is \(\frac{s^{pst}t^{qst}}{(st)^{2}}\) an integer? \(\rightarrow\) \(s^{pst-2}t^{qst-2}\). Again, it's important to notice that since \(t\) and \(s\) are greater than \(1\) (according to the question stem) and since \(p\) and \(q\) must be greater than \(0\), \(pst-2\) and \(qst-2\) will always be positive and therefore \(s^{pst-2}t^{qst-2}\) will always be an integer. This statement must be true.

III. Is \(\frac{s^{pst}t^{qst}}{s+t}\) an integer? \(\rightarrow\) Well, in this case we know that a sum of positive factors is never a factor of the multiplication of such factors. You can try this: \(\frac{(6)(5)}{6+5}=\frac{30}{11}\), which is clearly not an integer. This statement is not true.

Correct answer is option E.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 07:20
As far as the confusion with (st)^2. It's quite simple to understand that it must be a factor. Consider the following:
s & t are greater than 1. Thus s and t have to be at least 2 each. Say s=2+u and t=2+v.
(n)^st = n^((2+u)(2+v)) = (n^4)*n^p for some p. Hence, (n)^st = (n^4)*q (for q=n^p).
Now s and t are factors of n. Hence, n=ys and n=zt for some integers y and z.
Thus,
(n)^st = (n^4)*q = (n^2)*(n^2)*q = ((ys)^2)*((zt)^2)*q = ((st)^2)*r for some r.
Hence, (st)^2 must be a factor of n^st
I'm sorry for the complicated notations.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2017, 07:20

If s and t are integers greater than 1 and each is a factor of the int

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap