GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2013
Posts: 12
If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2014, 22:05
1
21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (02:46) correct 33% (03:01) wrong based on 310 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not equal |y|, xy does not equal 0)

A. 3mn/2
B. (3m)/(2n)
C. (n * (m+2))/2
D. 2nm / (m-n)
E. (n^2 - m^2) / nm

_________________
Any and all kudos are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9643
Location: Pune, India
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2014, 22:36
3
1
MrWallSt wrote:
If x / (x+y) = n, and x / (x-y) = m, then x/y=? (|x| does not equal |y|, xy does not equal 0)

A. 3mn/2
B. (3m)/(2n)
C. (n * (m+2))/2
D. 2nm / (m-n)
E. (n^2 - m^2) / nm


You can do it either algebraically or by assuming numbers:

Algebra:
Note that we are happier with (x+y)/x rather than x/(x+y) since in the former case we can make manipulations easily. So let's take the inverse of both n and m

\(\frac{1}{n} = \frac{(x+y)}{x} = 1 + \frac{y}{x}\) ....(I)
\(\frac{1}{m} = \frac{(x-y)}{x} = 1 - \frac{y}{x}\) .....(II)

Since we have both m and n in our answer, lets subtract II from I to get

\(\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{m} = \frac{2y}{x}\)

\(\frac{(m-n)}{2mn} = \frac{y}{x}\)

\(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{2mn}{(m-n)}\)

Answer (D)

Or Plug in numbers: x = 2, y = 1
n = x/(x+y) = 2/3
m = x/(x-y) = 2

x/y = 2

Now put n = 2/3 and m = 2 in the options. Only option (D) gives you x/y = 2.

Hence answer (D)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2013
Posts: 12
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2014, 22:59
@Karishma thanks for the post. Your blogs are extremely helpful btw. I am not sure if you ever followed up about your CFA, but I hope that went well for you.
_________________
Any and all kudos are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 564
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2014, 23:32
2
1
MrWallSt wrote:
If x / (x+y) = n, and x / (x-y) = m, then x/y=? (|x| does not equal |y|, xy does not equal 0)

A. 3mn/2
B. (3m)/(2n)
C. (n * (m+2))/2
D. 2nm / (m-n)
E. (n^2 - m^2) / nm


Let us say x = 3, y = 1, n = 0.75, m = 1.5

x/y = 3

(A) 3(3/2)(3/4) = 9/8 (Eliminated)
(B) 3(3/2) 2(3/4) = (Eliminated)
(C) (3/4) (3/2 + 2)/2 = (Eliminated)
(D) 2(3/4)(3/2)/(.75) = 3 (BINGO!)
(E) Eliminated

Hence answer is D
_________________
- CrackVerbal Prep Team

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Register for the Free GMAT Kickstarter Course : http://bit.ly/2DDHKHq

Register for our Personal Tutoring Course : https://www.crackverbal.com/gmat/personal-tutoring/

Join the free 4 part GMAT video training series : http://bit.ly/2DGm8tR
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 41
Location: India
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 22:24
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
MrWallSt wrote:
If x / (x+y) = n, and x / (x-y) = m, then x/y=? (|x| does not equal |y|, xy does not equal 0)

A. 3mn/2
B. (3m)/(2n)
C. (n * (m+2))/2
D. 2nm / (m-n)
E. (n^2 - m^2) / nm


Let us say x = 3, y = 1, n = 0.75, m = 1.5

x/y = 3

(A) 3(3/2)(3/4) = 9/8 (Eliminated)
(B) 3(3/2) 2(3/4) = (Eliminated)
(C) (3/4) (3/2 + 2)/2 = (Eliminated)
(D) 2(3/4)(3/2)/(.75) = 3 (BINGO!)
(E) Eliminated

Hence answer is D


Sorry for opening a long answered question.

with algebric solution, i am getting many answers in terms of m & n. so the problem needed to be solved by picking numbers.
when we pick x = 3 & y = 1. I am getting B & D both as answer and but with x = 2 & y= 3. I am getting D as an answer. shouldnt it be unique for all numbers, since there is no restriction (like x, y = consequetive or x>y or viceversa) on picking numbers.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9643
Location: Pune, India
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 22:53
Alaukik wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
MrWallSt wrote:
If x / (x+y) = n, and x / (x-y) = m, then x/y=? (|x| does not equal |y|, xy does not equal 0)

A. 3mn/2
B. (3m)/(2n)
C. (n * (m+2))/2
D. 2nm / (m-n)
E. (n^2 - m^2) / nm


Let us say x = 3, y = 1, n = 0.75, m = 1.5

x/y = 3

(A) 3(3/2)(3/4) = 9/8 (Eliminated)
(B) 3(3/2) 2(3/4) = (Eliminated)
(C) (3/4) (3/2 + 2)/2 = (Eliminated)
(D) 2(3/4)(3/2)/(.75) = 3 (BINGO!)
(E) Eliminated

Hence answer is D


Sorry for opening a long answered question.

with algebric solution, i am getting many answers in terms of m & n. so the problem needed to be solved by picking numbers.
when we pick x = 3 & y = 1. I am getting B & D both as answer and but with x = 2 & y= 3. I am getting D as an answer. shouldnt it be unique for all numbers, since there is no restriction (like x, y = consequetive or x>y or viceversa) on picking numbers.


When you take one of the numbers as 1 or 0, or when you take numbers to be equal, you could get multiple options satisfying your conditions.

For example, if n = 1
3n/(m+n) will give the same result as 3/(m+n).

Sometimes, you will get the same answer from multiple options if the options are written intelligently. So you could need to try out 2 or even 3 sets of values.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 41
Location: India
GPA: 3.65
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 04:57
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
When you take one of the numbers as 1 or 0, or when you take numbers to be equal, you could get multiple options satisfying your conditions.

For example, if n = 1
3n/(m+n) will give the same result as 3/(m+n).

Sometimes, you will get the same answer from multiple options if the options are written intelligently. So you could need to try out 2 or even 3 sets of values.


well the question states xy != 0, so x or y cant be 0. also |x| != |y| so they cant be equal either.

I was hoping for a more bullet proof solution for this question. as 2 sets will take more time. we will get answer but at a huge expense of time.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9643
Location: Pune, India
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 20:25
Alaukik wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
When you take one of the numbers as 1 or 0, or when you take numbers to be equal, you could get multiple options satisfying your conditions.

For example, if n = 1
3n/(m+n) will give the same result as 3/(m+n).

Sometimes, you will get the same answer from multiple options if the options are written intelligently. So you could need to try out 2 or even 3 sets of values.


well the question states xy != 0, so x or y cant be 0. also |x| != |y| so they cant be equal either.

I was hoping for a more bullet proof solution for this question. as 2 sets will take more time. we will get answer but at a huge expense of time.


Note that it is a generic comment about number plugging - not just specific to this question.

Also, I have given the algebra solution above - as "bulletproof" as you can get.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 06:55
VeritasPrepKarishma your solution is excellence. I am wondering, how do we know that one form of fraction (you mentioned it as case) is easier to manipulate than another? I tried to solve this problem using the original form of fraction but I ended up nowhere. Do you have the solution using original form of the fraction?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9643
Location: Pune, India
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 23:30
2
evdo wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma your solution is excellence. I am wondering, how do we know that one form of fraction (you mentioned it as case) is easier to manipulate than another? I tried to solve this problem using the original form of fraction but I ended up nowhere. Do you have the solution using original form of the fraction?


When you need to separate the variables, multiple terms in the numerator are easy to handle since you can split them:

(x+y)/ x = x/x + y/x = 1 + y/x

But if they are in the denominator, you cannot separate them.

You can start with the equations as they are but you will eventually cross multiply to simplify the denominator. If you do different things with the equations, you will get different but equivalent expressions. So a case can be made to do the question by number plugging instead.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 11:40
Hello,

Could someone explain why is it not possible to assume that: x = n(x+y) and x = m(x-y); so n(x+y) = m(x-y) if we solve this we arrive to x/y = (n+m) / (m-n)

I know it is not the correct answer, but I would like to understand my mistake. Many thanks
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9643
Location: Pune, India
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 02:48
1
jmmanquez wrote:
Hello,

Could someone explain why is it not possible to assume that: x = n(x+y) and x = m(x-y); so n(x+y) = m(x-y) if we solve this we arrive to x/y = (n+m) / (m-n)

I know it is not the correct answer, but I would like to understand my mistake. Many thanks


It is not incorrect, it is just not what you need. Different manipulations can lead to different but equivalent expressions.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2018, 02:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If x/(x+y) = n, and x/(x-y) = m, then x/y = ? (|x| does not

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne