Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [9]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [8]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: If x, y and z are all no-zero numbers, what is the value of z = (x-y)/ [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Balajikarthick1990 wrote:
perse it looked easy..oh god...this was really tricky....mike can we get problems like this in actual GMAT...if yes, what would be the level?

Dear Balajikarthick1990,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I like your avatar with the picture of Srinivasa Ramanujam: he was one of the greatest mathematical geniuses of all time and I have tremendous respect for him.

Could you get a problem such as this on the GMAT? Yes. You see, all of math depends on precision, precision in the details. This applies to how one handles the numbers, but it also applies to each word of the text of the problem. In this problem, a very important detail was expressed verbally, in way that would usually convey only general conditions that most students tend to ignore. Never take anything for granted. Always be looking for any detail that can make a difference.

You see, sometimes in the business world, in a legal or contractual document, there could be one little detail that changes everything, perhaps even in the most unexpected place. The astute business man does not miss these details. That's why the GMAT would test detail management to this degree.

Hard to say the level of this. Many students are conscientious and pay attention to details, so I would estimate that a large percentage would get this right. This is not among the hardest questions on the test: in fact, when one notices the pertinent detail, the question is relatively straightforward.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: If x, y and z are all no-zero numbers, what is the value of z = (x-y)/ [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
krodin wrote:
If x, y and z are all non-zero numbers, what is the value of \(z = \frac{(x-y)}{(2x+y)}\)
(1) \(|x|=y\)
(2) \(x=-3\)

Dear krodin,

I'm happy to respond. :-) This is a tricky one. If z were not mentioned in the first "if" statement, then the question would have a very different answer.

In statement #1, we find out that \(|x|=y\). Naively, this would leave two choices for (x, y), either x = y or x = -y. We might think that x = y is one possibility, but notice that this would make the numerator of the ratio zero, which means the ratio would equal zero, and the conditional statement at the very beginning of the question makes very clear that z cannot equal zero. Therefore, we cannot have x = y. The only possibility from this statement is that x = -y or -x = y. Then

z = (x-y)/(2x+y)
z = [x - (-x)]/[2x + (-x)]
z = (x + x)/(2x - x)
z = (2x)/(x) = 2

This statement leads directly to a numerical answer for z. This statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Statement #2, by itself, tells us about x but not about y. This statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Answer = (A)

Does this make sense?

perse it looked easy..oh god...this was really tricky....mike can we get problems like this in actual GMAT...if yes, what would be the level?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Balajikarthick1990 wrote:

Dear Balajikarthick1990,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I like your avatar with the picture of Srinivasa Ramanujam: he was one of the greatest mathematical geniuses of all time and I have tremendous respect for him.

Could you get a problem such as this on the GMAT? Yes. You see, all of math depends on precision, precision in the details. This applies to how one handles the numbers, but it also applies to each word of the text of the problem. In this problem, a very important detail was expressed verbally, in way that would usually convey only general conditions that most students tend to ignore. Never take anything for granted. Always be looking for any detail that can make a difference.

You see, sometimes in the business world, in a legal or contractual document, there could be one little detail that changes everything, perhaps even in the most unexpected place. The astute business man does not miss these details. That's why the GMAT would test detail management to this degree.

Hard to say the level of this. Many students are conscientious and pay attention to details, so I would estimate that a large percentage would get this right. This is not among the hardest questions on the test: in fact, when one notices the pertinent detail, the question is relatively straightforward.

Does all this make sense?

Absolutely mike...I am from his place...Ramanujam serves as a gr8 source of inspiration to me especially for solving GMAT problems :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts