GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 03:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Nov 2018, 10:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:38) correct 61% (02:14) wrong based on 23 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left corner of an eight-by-eight grid made up of one-inch squares. If the piece can move one grid up or to the right, what is the probability that the center of the piece will be exactly \(4\sqrt{2}\) inches away from where it started after 8 moves?

A. 24/256

B. 64/256

C. 70/256

D. 128/256

E. 176/256

I can understand total sample space is 256 i.e. \(2^8\). I am not able to figure out why there are 70 possible ways. As per the explanation provided :

"
Since there are eight moves, and there are two choices each move, there are 2^8 moves. Now figure out how many will move the piece exactly inches away. 4\sqrt{2} is the diagonal formed by a square four inches by four inches; thus a five-by-five grid. So, you need to move four moves up and four moves to the right. Next, figure out how many ways we could get four “up” moves: 8*7*6*5. There are eight places where the first “up” could go, seven where the next “up” and so on. //Since you don’t care which “up” is which, you have to get rid of the duplicates: (8*7*6*5)/ (4*3*2*1). So the probability is 70/256 "

As it was mentioned that the square piece is placed at the lower left corner, I can think of only 6 ways. Please refer to the attached diagram. I have marked the probable path as 1,2,..6. The Boxes mentioned as 3 are the boxes those were traversed when the 3rd path is followed.

In the below post I can see 7C4 is mentioned. I am aware of the concept of C and P. If someone wishes to explain by this method, please feel free.

[url]https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-a-certain-game-a-one-inch-square-piece-is-placed-in-the-64302.html
[/url]

Another suggestion required, how to make the options as radio buttons.

Regards,
Arup

Attachment:
SquareGrid.JPG
SquareGrid.JPG [ 25.84 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]

Originally posted by ArupRS on 24 Nov 2018, 06:12.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Nov 2018, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Math Expert
V
Re: In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 22:43
ArupRS wrote:
In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left corner of an eight-by-eight grid made up of one-inch squares. If the piece can move one grid up or to the right, what is the probability that the center of the piece will be exactly 4\sqrt{2} inches away from where it started after 8 moves?

A. 24/256

B. 64/256

C. 70/256

D. 128/256

E. 176/256

Now basically it means there are 8 steps either vertical or horizontal, so what we have in the end is a straight line or different right angled triangles as shown in the attached figure..
so the distance between initial and final position as marked by star is \(4\sqrt{2}\), so we are looking at right angled triangle otherwise a straight line will b eof 8 units
Only way the hypotenuse can be \(4\sqrt{2}\) is when the the right angled triangle is isoeceles as A and B are integer units and A+B=8.
thus we move 4 steps horizontally and 4 vertically..
ways to move
Choose 4 steps out of 8 that can be moved horizontally and rest 4 automatically take care of 4 vertical steps, so 8C4=\(\frac{8!}{4!4!}=70\)
Total ways to move 8 steps
Each step would be horizontal or vertical, thus total ways = \(2^8\)

thus probability = \(\frac{70}{2^8}\)

C
Attachments

star.png
star.png [ 30.2 KiB | Viewed 293 times ]

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 23:13
UUUURRRR = 8!/4!4!
Total space= 2^8

Posted from my mobile device

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 10:31
chetan2u wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left corner of an eight-by-eight grid made up of one-inch squares. If the piece can move one grid up or to the right, what is the probability that the center of the piece will be exactly 4\sqrt{2} inches away from where it started after 8 moves?

A. 24/256

B. 64/256

C. 70/256

D. 128/256

E. 176/256

Now basically it means there are 8 steps either vertical or horizontal, so what we have in the end is a straight line or different right angled triangles as shown in the attached figure..
so the distance between initial and final position as marked by star is \(4\sqrt{2}\), so we are looking at right angled triangle otherwise a straight line will b eof 8 units
Only way the hypotenuse can be \(4\sqrt{2}\) is when the the right angled triangle is isoeceles as A and B are integer units and A+B=8.
ways to move
Choose 4 steps out of 8 that can be moved horizontally and rest 4 automatically take care of 4 vertical steps, so 8C4=\(\frac{8!}{4!4!}=70\)

C

chetan2u : I am still having hard time to understand how come we can have more than 6 steps, after we fixed the position in lower left corner. Could you please add one path other than those I have highlighted in the attached image. Doing so may help me to understnad other options which I am missing now.
Attachments

SquareGrid.JPG
SquareGrid.JPG [ 25.84 KiB | Viewed 220 times ]

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 19:16
ArupRS wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
ArupRS wrote:

A. 24/256

B. 64/256

C. 70/256

D. 128/256

E. 176/256

ways to move

C

chetan2u : I am still having hard time to understand how come we can have more than 6 steps, after we fixed the position in lower left corner. Could you please add one path other than those I have highlighted in the attached image. Doing so may help me to understnad other options which I am missing now.

Hi..

You are missing out on all zig-zag options..
One-two example..
_, _, _, _, F
_, _, 7, 7, 7
_, _,7, _, _
7, 7, 7,_, _
S, _, _, _, _,

So start-up -right-right-up-up-right-right-F

Many more similar ways

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2018, 19:16

In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap