Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 23:44 It is currently 14 May 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [15]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32515 [1]
Given Kudos: 305
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 532 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left corner of an eight-by-eight grid made up of one-inch squares. If the piece can move one grid up or to the right, what is the probability that the center of the piece will be exactly 4\sqrt{2} inches away from where it started after 8 moves?

A. 24/256

B. 64/256

C. 70/256

D. 128/256

E. 176/256

Now basically it means there are 8 steps either vertical or horizontal, so what we have in the end is a straight line or different right angled triangles as shown in the attached figure..
so the distance between initial and final position as marked by star is \(4\sqrt{2}\), so we are looking at right angled triangle otherwise a straight line will b eof 8 units
Only way the hypotenuse can be \(4\sqrt{2}\) is when the the right angled triangle is isoeceles as A and B are integer units and A+B=8.
thus we move 4 steps horizontally and 4 vertically..
ways to move
Choose 4 steps out of 8 that can be moved horizontally and rest 4 automatically take care of 4 vertical steps, so 8C4=\(\frac{8!}{4!4!}=70\)
Total ways to move 8 steps
Each step would be horizontal or vertical, thus total ways = \(2^8\)

thus probability = \(\frac{70}{2^8}\)

C

chetan2u : I am still having hard time to understand how come we can have more than 6 steps, after we fixed the position in lower left corner. Could you please add one path other than those I have highlighted in the attached image. Doing so may help me to understnad other options which I am missing now.
Attachments

SquareGrid.JPG
SquareGrid.JPG [ 25.84 KiB | Viewed 2534 times ]

RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32515 [1]
Given Kudos: 305
Send PM
Re: In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ArupRS wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left corner of an eight-by-eight grid made up of one-inch squares. If the piece can move one grid up or to the right, what is the probability that the center of the piece will be exactly 4\sqrt{2} inches away from where it started after 8 moves?

A. 24/256

B. 64/256

C. 70/256

D. 128/256

E. 176/256

Now basically it means there are 8 steps either vertical or horizontal, so what we have in the end is a straight line or different right angled triangles as shown in the attached figure..
so the distance between initial and final position as marked by star is \(4\sqrt{2}\), so we are looking at right angled triangle otherwise a straight line will b eof 8 units
Only way the hypotenuse can be \(4\sqrt{2}\) is when the the right angled triangle is isoeceles as A and B are integer units and A+B=8.
thus we move 4 steps horizontally and 4 vertically..
ways to move
Choose 4 steps out of 8 that can be moved horizontally and rest 4 automatically take care of 4 vertical steps, so 8C4=\(\frac{8!}{4!4!}=70\)
Total ways to move 8 steps
Each step would be horizontal or vertical, thus total ways = \(2^8\)

thus probability = \(\frac{70}{2^8}\)

C

chetan2u : I am still having hard time to understand how come we can have more than 6 steps, after we fixed the position in lower left corner. Could you please add one path other than those I have highlighted in the attached image. Doing so may help me to understnad other options which I am missing now.

Hi..

You are missing out on all zig-zag options..
One-two example..
_, _, _, _, F
_, _, 7, 7, 7
_, _,7, _, _
7, 7, 7,_, _
S, _, _, _, _,

So start-up -right-right-up-up-right-right-F

Many more similar ways
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16972 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Given

• In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower-left corner of an eight-by-eight grid made up of one-inch squares.
    • the piece can move one grid up or to the right.

To Find

• The probability that the center of the piece will be exactly 4√2 inches away from where it started after 8 moves.

Approach and Working Out

• Total number of moves = \(2^8\)
      o = 256

• To be 4\(\sqrt{2 }\) inches away it must have 4 upward and 4 rightward movement.
      o That can be done in 8C4 ways = 70 ways.

• Probability = 70/256

Correct Answer: Option B
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3158 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
In a certain game, a one-inch square piece is placed in the lower left [#permalink]
Kudos