GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.o3,t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.o3,t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Aug 2018, 11:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:49) correct 37% (01:53) wrong based on 563 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.03,the pretax price of each deluxe pencil was $0.05,and there were 50% more deluxe pencils than regular pencils.All taxes on the order are a fixed percent of the pretax prices.The sum of the total pretax price of the order and the tax on the order was $44.10.What was the amount,in dollars,of the tax on the order?

(1) The tax on the order was 5% of the total pretax price of the order.
(2) The order contained exactly 400 regular pencils.

OG Q 2017 New Question(Book Question: 222)

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Originally posted by AbdurRakib on 01 Jul 2016, 06:44.
Last edited by carcass on 03 Aug 2018, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Edited by Carcass
Most Helpful Community Reply
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.o3,t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 00:11
AbdurRakib wrote:
In a certain order,the pretex price of each regular pencil was $0.03,the pretex price of each deluxe pencil was $0.05,and there were 50% more deluxe pencils than regular pencils.All taxes on the order are a fixed percent of the pretex prices.The sum of the total pretex price of the order and the tax on the order was $44.10.What was the amount,in dollars,of the tax on the order?

(1) The tax on the order was 5% of the total pretex price of the order.

As per question statement :
Price of Regular Pencil = 0.03/pencil
Price of Deluxe pencil = 0.05/pencil
# of Deluxe Pencil (D) in the Order = 50% More that # of Regular Pencil (R) => D = 1.5R
Also, there is a Tax (T) of a fixed percent on the pretex price (Total Price)
And finally : Total order value = 44.10
There fore we can write the equation :
0.05*D + 0.03*R + T = 44.10
(Huuufff .. this was too much data)
Now, we are asked to find the amount of Tax (T) on the order.

Lets see statement - 1 : The tax on the order was 5% of the total pretex price of the order.
So, from this we can deduce that 44.10 contains 5% of the tax in it.
So, 44.10 = 105% of (0.05*D + 0.03*R)
Lets call this 0.05*D + 0.03*R = X
44.10 = 105% of (X)
So we will get X
and on subtracting X from 44.10 we will get the Tax T
So statement - 1 is sufficient

Lets see statement - 2 : The order contained exactly 400 regular pencils
So R = 400
and from question statement D = 1.5R, we can get D also.
Plugging these values in equation
0.05*D + 0.03*R + T = 44.10, we can get T.
So statement - 2 is also sufficient ...

So answer Choice D.
Please note that we are NOT calculating any values ...

All this is just to get my first kudos on GMAT Club...
:P :P :P :P
Please be generous if this help...

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.o3,t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 07:00
Let number of pencils (regular) be x.

From the first statement, regular to deluxe pencils would be in a ratio of 2:3.

We only need to know the number of any one of the pencils, as unit prices for each are already given.

First statement and second statement both can lead us to this.

Thus, I think the answer will be (D).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 07:54
D

1 gives us tax of 22.
2.relation between regular and deluxe is given>compute the total revenue and subtract from 44 ,which is ur tax
CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 06:01
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
In a certain order,the pretex price of each regular pencil was $0.03,the pretex price of each deluxe pencil was $0.05,and there were 50% more deluxe pencils than regular pencils.All taxes on the order are a fixed percent of the pretex prices.The sum of the total pretex price of the order and the tax on the order was $44.10.What was the amount,in dollars,of the tax on the order?

Should be pretAx, not pretex

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 06:26
GMATPrepNow wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

Should be pretAx, not pretex

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 07:31
Let the total pretax price be x
then
x+0.05x=44.10
This will give is X and the tax amount !!
Sufficient

deluxe pencils = 1.5*regular pencils
deluxe pencils = 600
600*(0.05)+400*(0.03)+tax=44.10
this will give the variable tax

Therefore , D
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 09:54
In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.03,the pretax price of each deluxe pencil was $0.05,and there were 50% more deluxe pencils than regular pencils.All taxes on the order are a fixed percent of the pretax prices.The sum of the total pretax price of the order and the tax on the order was $44.10.What was the amount,in dollars,of the tax on the order?

Total PreTax Price =X
Tax = 5% of X= 0.05X
Total Cost (44.10) will be = Tax + PreTax Cost = X+ 0.05X ===> 1.05X
1.05X=44.10 (Sufficient)
FOR CURIOUS USERS
X = 44.10/1.05 ----> X =42
Tax= 5% of 42 = 2.10 $
SUFFICIENT

Regular Pencil = 400
Deluxe Pencil will be = 1.5 times x 400= 600
Prices are already given in the stimulus
(Price of regular + Price of Deluxe) + 5% of (Price of regular + Price of Deluxe) = 44.10
SUFFICIENT
FOR CURIOUS USERS:-
400 x 0.03 + 600 x 0.05 + {5% of (400 x 0.03 + 600 x 0.05) <---TAX} = 44.10
12+30+{2.10 <---TAX)= 44.10
44.10=44.10
Tax is 2.10
SUFFICIENT

Answer IS D

AbdurRakib wrote:

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 03:10
Ill keep it short and sweet:

(0.03) (n) (1+t/100) + (0.05) (1.5n) (1+t/100) = 44.10

(1) t = 5% --> (0.03) (n) (1+5/100) + (0.05) (1.5n) (1+5/100) = 44.10

we can figure out n and from there the amount of t

(2) n + 1.5n = 400, n = 160 --> (0.03) (160) (1+t/100) + (0.05) (1.5) (160) (1+t/100) = 44.10

we can figure out t and from there the amount of t

hopefully its correct :)

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 06:03
I got this one wrong and now I understand why it was wrong. My approach was close, but I made 1 critical mistake.

When creating the formula, I got 0.05*DT + 0.03*RT = 44.10, then because 50% more deluxe I multiplied by .5 next to .03.

So my formula is 0.05*DT + 0.015*RT = 44.10.
Statement 1 tells me to take out T, now I still have 2 variables to solve for (D and R) so I thought NF.
Statement 2 gives me D, still have 2 variables to solve for (R and T) so I thought NF. Then I assumed answer C.

My Question: I see now that I should not have counted D and R as two separate variables, but why is that? In the future, how can I know that for a question like this that Deluxe and Regular don't make 2 variables? I hope this question makes sense.

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 08:16
msurls wrote:
I got this one wrong and now I understand why it was wrong. My approach was close, but I made 1 critical mistake.

When creating the formula, I got 0.05*DT + 0.03*RT = 44.10, then because 50% more deluxe I multiplied by .5 next to .03.

Statement 1 tells me to take out T, now I still have 2 variables to solve for (D and R) so I thought NF.
Statement 2 gives me D, still have 2 variables to solve for (R and T) so I thought NF. Then I assumed answer C.

My Question: I see now that I should not have counted D and R as two separate variables, but why is that? In the future, how can I know that for a question like this that Deluxe and Regular don't make 2 variables? I hope this question makes sense.

Hi

We CAN solve this question properly taking two different variables. Lets say number of regular pencils = x, number of deluxe pencils = y.
Total pretax price = 0.03x + 0.05y + T = 44.1, this is the first equation.
Given that deluxe pencils = 50% more than regular pencils, so y = 1.5x; this is the second equation.
We need three different equations to solve for three different variables, the third equation can be formed from either statement 1 or from statement 2.

However, to make it easier, we can already incorporate the fact that # of deluxe pencils = 1.5 * # of regular pencils. So if # of regular pencils = x, then # of deluxe pencils = 1.5x. And so total order price = 0.03x + 0.05*1.5x + T = 0.105x + T
This is an equation in two variables, we now need another equation to solve for the two variables. And the second equation will be provided from either statement 1 or statement 2.

So, you see, whether we solve it via 2 different variables or single variable for the kinds of pencils, its one and the same thing.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 08:21
amanvermagmat wrote:
msurls wrote:

Hi

We CAN solve this question properly taking two different variables. Lets say number of regular pencils = x, number of deluxe pencils = y.
Total pretax price = 0.03x + 0.05y + T = 44.1, this is the first equation.
Given that deluxe pencils = 50% more than regular pencils, so y = 1.5x; this is the second equation.
We need three different equations to solve for three different variables, the third equation can be formed from either statement 1 or from statement 2.

However, to make it easier, we can already incorporate the fact that # of deluxe pencils = 1.5 * # of regular pencils. So if # of regular pencils = x, then # of deluxe pencils = 1.5x. And so total order price = 0.03x + 0.05*1.5x + T = 0.105x + T
This is an equation in two variables, we now need another equation to solve for the two variables. And the second equation will be provided from either statement 1 or statement 2.

So, you see, whether we solve it via 2 different variables or single variable for the kinds of pencils, its one and the same thing.

Thanks so much amanvermagmat ! That makes sense. Looks like I didn't think to eliminate "y" and convert it to x given that deluxe pencils = 50% more than regular pencils.

Thanks again.

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 05:15
mihir0710 wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

As per question statement :
Price of Regular Pencil = 0.03/pencil
Price of Deluxe pencil = 0.05/pencil
# of Deluxe Pencil (D) in the Order = 50% More that # of Regular Pencil (R) => D = 1.5R
Also, there is a Tax (T) of a fixed percent on the pretex price (Total Price)
And finally : Total order value = 44.10
There fore we can write the equation :
0.05*D + 0.03*R + T = 44.10
(Huuufff .. this was too much data)
Now, we are asked to find the amount of Tax (T) on the order.

Lets see statement - 1 : The tax on the order was 5% of the total pretex price of the order.
So, from this we can deduce that 44.10 contains 5% of the tax in it.
So, 44.10 = 105% of (0.05*D + 0.03*R)
Lets call this 0.05*D + 0.03*R = X
44.10 = 105% of (X)
So we will get X
and on subtracting X from 44.10 we will get the Tax T
So statement - 1 is sufficient

Lets see statement - 2 : The order contained exactly 400 regular pencils
So R = 400
and from question statement D = 1.5R, we can get D also.
Plugging these values in equation
0.05*D + 0.03*R + T = 44.10, we can get T.
So statement - 2 is also sufficient ...

So answer Choice D.
Please note that we are NOT calculating any values ...

All this is just to get my first kudos on GMAT Club...
:P :P :P :P
Please be generous if this help...

Excuse my ignorance but there is something I don't understand. How do you come up with D=1.5R. The way I view is that Deluxe equal to Regular number plus half of the Deluxe, so D=R+ D/2. Can you please explain how you come up with D=1.5R?

Thank you
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.8
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 12:47
Statement I: Sufficient!
x = price of order (no tax)
1.05x = 44.10
x = 42
$ of tax = 2.10

Qty Regular pencil = R
Qty Delux pencil = D
D = 1.5R

0.05. 1.5R + 0.03R = 42
0.075R + 0.03R = 42
0.105R = 42
R = 400 (400 regular pencils)
D = 1.5 * 400 (600 delux pencils)

Statement II: Sufficient!

R = 400
D = 1.5 * 400 = 600

$ R = 400 * 0.03 = $12
$ D = 600 * 0.05 = $30

Total cost without tax = $42
Total tax cost = $2.10

"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Intern
Intern
What was the amount, in dollars, of the tax on the order?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 16:03
In a certain order, the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.03, the pretax price of each deluxe pencil was $0.05, and there were 50% more deluxe pencils than regular pencils. All taxes on the order are a fixed percent of the pretax prices. The sum of the total pretax price of the order and the tax on the order was $44.10. What was the amount, in dollars, of the tax on the order?

Math Expert
V
In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.o3,t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 21:35
exgar26 wrote:
In a certain order, the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.03, the pretax price of each deluxe pencil was $0.05, and there were 50% more deluxe pencils than regular pencils. All taxes on the order are a fixed percent of the pretax prices. The sum of the total pretax price of the order and the tax on the order was $44.10. What was the amount, in dollars, of the tax on the order?

Please search before posting..

D=1.5R and let the tax be x
(0.03R+0.05D)(1+X/100)=44.10
(3R+5D)(100+X)=441000
We are looking for X(3R+5D)/100

So X is 5..
105(3R+5D)=441000,
5(3R+5D)=441000*5/105=4200*5=21000
Ans 210
Sufficient

(2) The order contained exactly 400 regular pencil
So (3*400+5*600)(100+X)=441000...
X(3*400+5*600)=441000-(3*400+5*600)*100=441000-420000=21000
Ans 210
Sufficient

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 00:51
Hello gurus,
Can we solve this using weighted average formula or the mapping method?
I've got the solution from mathy way. But I've tried mapping on it to no avail.
Could mapping work here or is it off mapping?
I await your replies, JeffYin, @KarishmaB

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 18:30
S1937 wrote:
Hello gurus,
Can we solve this using weighted average formula or the mapping method?
I've got the solution from mathy way. But I've tried mapping on it to no avail.
Could mapping work here or is it off mapping?
I await your replies, JeffYin, @KarishmaB

Hi S1937,

This may not be the fastest approach, but it is possible to use the weighted average mapping strategy to evaluate statement 2. (It's not relevant for statement 1.) We can treat the regular and deluxe pencils as the two groups being combined; these groups have average pretax prices of $0.03 and $0.05, respectively. If we call the number of regular pencils R and the number of deluxe pencils D, the question also tells us that D = 1.5R. When statement 2 tells us that R = 400, we then know that D = 600. Thus, 400 and 600 are the weights that we use for each group. Since the ratio of weights is 2:3, the ratio of the distances is also 2:3 (indicated by 2x and 3x on the diagram below), and here is how I would draw the weighted average mapping strategy:

Since this is a Data Sufficiency question, I've really drawn more than you need to answer the question. Once you have the averages for each group, and the weights for each group, you know that you can solve for the weighted average. Since you know the total number of pencils, you can also calculate the total pretax price of all of the pencils. Then, if you see that you just need to subtract this from the sum of the tax and total pretax price to get the tax, you'll see that you have enough information to answer the question. So, statement 2 is sufficient.

While I'm here, I thought I would also leave my GMAT Timing Tips on how I recommend solving this question efficiently (the following links have growing lists of questions that you can use to practice each of these tips):

Use smart variables to represent unknowns: There are a variety of ways to set the question up, as shown in this thread, but you could consider doing it with up to 4 variables: T = tax (what we are solving for), P = total pretax price, R = number of regular pencils, D = number of deluxe pencils. I often recommend to students that they use more variables than they think they need to, if that helps them to see more clearly what is happening in the question.

Systems of linear equations: Using the above variables, you can get the following equations from the question itself:

P = 0.03R + 0.05D
D = 1.5R
P + T = 44.10

If we notice that these are 3 unique linear equations for 4 variables, we know that we could definitely solve for all 4 variables if we were given another unique linear equation. Each statement is sufficient, because each statement provides a 4th unique linear equation:

Statement 1: T = 0.05P (actually, this can be combined with the third equation above to form a system of 2 linear equations for 2 variables)
Statement 2: R = 400

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you would like me to post a video solution!

GMAT timing strategy coach and tutor with a 780 GMAT score. Harvard graduate.

Please read and share my free GMAT Timing Strategy Guide!

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 2.87

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 22:28
Let x be number of regular pencil anf T be the amount of tax
So 1.5x is number of delux pencil
$44.10 = 0.03x + 0.05(1.5x) + T
44.10 = 0.105x + T

1) T = 5% of pretax price of the order
T = 0.05*(0.105x)
So x can be found by solving both equations and T can be determined
SUFFICIENT

2) x = 400
So T can be determined
SUFFICIENT

Answer D

Hasnain Afzal

"When you wanna succeed as bad as you wanna breathe, then you will be successful." -Eric Thomas

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.o3,t &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 22:28

In a certain order,the pretax price of each regular pencil was $0.o3,t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap