Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32952 [1]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.13
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: In considering the origin of species, it is quite conceivable that a [#permalink]
Question 4

The definition of critical: expressing adverse or disapproving comments or judgment
The definition of impartial: treating all rivals or disputants equally; fair and just.

Sajjad,

The examples provided above and repasted below for convenience are not "fair and just" but are expressing "disapproving comments or judgements." Specifically, the definition of preposterous is, "contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous." Calling someone's belief "utterly absurd or ridiculous" is by no means impartial.

1. I read this below as: Yes, you're ideas sound good, but until you can prove it, I consider you wrong.
Nevertheless, such a conclusion, even if well founded, would be unsatisfactory, until it could be shown how the innumerable species inhabiting this world have been modified, so as to acquire that perfection of structure and co adaptation which most justly excites our admiration.

2. The definition of preposterous is "contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous," which I do not believe is being "fair and just" in the analysis of one side's argument.
In the case of the mistletoe, which draws its nourishment from certain trees, which has seeds that must be transported by certain birds, and which has flowers with separate sexes absolutely requiring the agency of certain insects to bring pollen from one flower to the other, it is equally preposterous to account for the structure of this parasite, with its relations to several distinct organic beings, by the effects of external conditions, or of habit, or of the volition of the plant itself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: In considering the origin of species, it is quite conceivable that a [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 - Thanks for the explanation, but the passage doesn't state anything about mistletoe's reproduction, but mentions only about mistletoe's nourishment. Hence, how can Option D, which talks about mistletoe's reproduction, be inferred from the passage.

Passage excerpt: "In the case of the mistletoe, which draws its nourishment from certain trees, which has seeds that must be transported by certain birds, and which has flowers with separate sexes absolutely requiring the agency of certain insects to bring pollen from one flower to the other, it is equally preposterous to account for the structure of this parasite, with its relations to several distinct organic beings, by the effects of external conditions, or of habit, or of the volition of the plant itself."
-> It talks about mistletoe requiring nourishment from trees that have seeds transported by birds. No mention of reproduction

Option (E): The mistletoe cannot reproduce by itself but needs the assistance of other species.
-> talks about reproduction

Can you please guide what I am missing here?

AndrewN - Would be great if you can please correct me. Thanks

Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

3. Which of the following can be inferred from the information in the passage?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

The last part of the second para clearly explains that the mistletoe has flowers having separate sexes, so it needs the assistance of certain insects to bring pollen from one flower to the other. It obviously can’t do so on its own. Thus, (E) is the correct answer.

(A) Opposite. Most naturalists believe that each species has descended from some other species.

(B) Opposite. The author states, in the last sentence of the passage, that the unique characteristics of the woodpecker and the mistletoe cannot be explained merely as the effect of external conditions.

(C) Opposite. According to the author, this commonly accepted belief is clearly not sufficient to explain the existence of species such as the woodpecker and the mistletoe.

(D) This may or may not be true but cannot be ascertained for sure from the passage.

Answer: E

KPraveen wrote:
Plz provide explanation of 3rd qn

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
Sajjad1994 - Thanks for the explanation, but the passage doesn't state anything about mistletoe's reproduction, but mentions only about mistletoe's nourishment. Hence, how can Option D, which talks about mistletoe's reproduction, be inferred from the passage.

Passage excerpt: "In the case of the mistletoe, which draws its nourishment from certain trees, which has seeds that must be transported by certain birds, and which has flowers with separate sexes absolutely requiring the agency of certain insects to bring pollen from one flower to the other, it is equally preposterous to account for the structure of this parasite, with its relations to several distinct organic beings, by the effects of external conditions, or of habit, or of the volition of the plant itself."
-> It talks about mistletoe requiring nourishment from trees that have seeds transported by birds. No mention of reproduction

Option (E): The mistletoe cannot reproduce by itself but needs the assistance of other species.
-> talks about reproduction

Can you please guide what I am missing here?

AndrewN - Would be great if you can please correct me. Thanks

Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

3. Which of the following can be inferred from the information in the passage?

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

The last part of the second para clearly explains that the mistletoe has flowers having separate sexes, so it needs the assistance of certain insects to bring pollen from one flower to the other. It obviously can’t do so on its own. Thus, (E) is the correct answer.

(A) Opposite. Most naturalists believe that each species has descended from some other species.

(B) Opposite. The author states, in the last sentence of the passage, that the unique characteristics of the woodpecker and the mistletoe cannot be explained merely as the effect of external conditions.

(C) Opposite. According to the author, this commonly accepted belief is clearly not sufficient to explain the existence of species such as the woodpecker and the mistletoe.

(D) This may or may not be true but cannot be ascertained for sure from the passage.

Answer: E

KPraveen wrote:
Plz provide explanation of 3rd qn

Posted from my mobile device

Hello, Pankaj0901. I can see the problem, and it has to do with your interpretation of the grammatical structure of the sentence. That second relative (which) clause is not modifying trees, but is acting as the second element in a three-part list that modifies mistletoe:

In the case of mistletoe, which X, which Y, and which Z, it is equally preposterous...

Hence, it is mistletoe that draws nourishment... has seeds that must be transported by certain birds, and has flowers that are pollinated by insects. You can tell that the second relative clause is not referring to trees because of its use of has in which has—it would not make sense to say trees has.

Perhaps the explanation provided earlier makes more sense now. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
Very nicely explained, AndrewN. Thank you!
My poor interpretation.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In considering the origin of species, it is quite conceivable that a n [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In considering the origin of species, it is quite conceivable that a n [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts