Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Weakenx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [41]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [7]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4076 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: In the arid land along the Colorado River, use of the river's water is [#permalink]
Kudos
I have chosen A for this question:

The conclusion is: [highlight]If farmers were to remove the trees, more water would be available for crop irrigation.[/highlight]

When I first read the passage, I knew that the question would ask for an answer choice to weaken the argument. If you look at the argument, the reasoning is clearly flawed - just by removing the trees, the author is assuming that the total amount of water available would suddenly increase. There are other factors that the author has not considered - this leads me to my prephrases:

1. The water could migrate elsewhere. For example, maybe the water would move into the voids that the trees have left, or maybe the water would move into other porous spaces.
2. The water may evaporate quicker without the shade of the trees.

Now look at each answer choice:

A. This answer choice looks like one of my prephrases. After careful review of the other choices, this is the answer I chose.

B. The argument has already stated "if farmers were to remove the trees...", so this answer choice already does not make sense because it is assumed in the passage. Also, this answer choice doesn't talk about an increase in the total amount of water, instead it talks about whether the farmers will cut down the trees.

C. This actually supports the argument because it states that these trees constantly have wet roots, so these trees probably consume more water than normal. Therefore, this answer choice is incorrect.

D. We are not concerned about whether the land is prime for farming or not - this answer choice is irrelevant.

E. This answer choice talks about the distribution of the total water, and not about whether the total water will increase or decrease once the trees are removed. Therefore, this answer cannot be correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: In the arid land along the Colorado River, use of the river's water is [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

Even i fell for D. Its a very good example of the "EGG SHELL GAME" the GMAT loves to play.

The trick is to identify that D - "The strip of land where trees grow along the river’s banks would not be suitable for growing crops if the trees were removed. " limits the argument to only the strip of land near the river

The argument can be weakened to a greater extent if the benefit of having the trees along the river bank could be felt over a larger area. This is clearly seen in A

Hence A is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
A clearly weaken the conclusion "if farmers were to remove those trees, more water would be available for crop irrigation
"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
yyc881123 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 22
Page: 123
Difficulty:

In the arid land along the Colorado River, use of the river's water is strictly controlled: farms along the river each have a limited allocation that they are allowed to use for irrigation. But the trees that grow in narrow strips along the river’s banks also use its water. Clearly, therefore, if farmers were to remove those trees, more water would be available for crop irrigation

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

a. The trees along the river’s banks shelter it from the sun and wind, thereby greatly reducing the amount of water lost through evaporation
b. Owners of farms along the river will probably not undertake the expense of cutting down trees along the banks unless they are granted a greater allocation of water in return
c. Many of the tree species currently found along the river’s banks are specifically adapted to growing in places where tree roots remain constantly wet.
d. The strip of land where trees grow along the river’s banks would not be suitable for growing crops if the trees were removed.
e. The distribution of water allocations for irrigation is intended to prevent farms father upstream from using water needed by farms father downstream

Please clear my doubt : The trees along the river’s banks shelter it from the sun and wind, thereby greatly reducing the amount of water lost through evaporation : So I concluded from this sentence that if we remove the trees then a great amount of water would be lost through evaporation but in the same case we would have more water for crop irrigation.So let's suppose we have 100 ml of more water available for irrigation and 99 ml is evaporated then also we will have extra 1 ml for growing crops and this 1 ml will be enough to get to our conclusion.I know this is a far fetched conclusion but I want to clear my thought process on this.
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
What if complete 100ml of water is evaporated then our conclusion is not met!!
If the back end supply of water goes lower, then no more water will be available than what is available today.
This will result in less irrigation and will directly effect farms and crops.

I hope its clear!

282552 wrote:
yyc881123 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 22
Page: 123
Difficulty:

In the arid land along the Colorado River, use of the river's water is strictly controlled: farms along the river each have a limited allocation that they are allowed to use for irrigation. But the trees that grow in narrow strips along the river’s banks also use its water. Clearly, therefore, if farmers were to remove those trees, more water would be available for crop irrigation

a. The trees along the river’s banks shelter it from the sun and wind, thereby greatly reducing the amount of water lost through evaporation
b. Owners of farms along the river will probably not undertake the expense of cutting down trees along the banks unless they are granted a greater allocation of water in return
c. Many of the tree species currently found along the river’s banks are specifically adapted to growing in places where tree roots remain constantly wet.
d. The strip of land where trees grow along the river’s banks would not be suitable for growing crops if the trees were removed.
e. The distribution of water allocations for irrigation is intended to prevent farms father upstream from using water needed by farms father downstream

Please clear my doubt : The trees along the river’s banks shelter it from the sun and wind, thereby greatly reducing the amount of water lost through evaporation : So I concluded from this sentence that if we remove the trees then a great amount of water would be lost through evaporation but in the same case we would have more water for crop irrigation.So let's suppose we have 100 ml of more water available for irrigation and 99 ml is evaporated then also we will have extra 1 ml for growing crops and this 1 ml will be enough to get to our conclusion.I know this is a far fetched conclusion but I want to clear my thought process on this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2698 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
narrowed to A and B and picked B (.

I don't get why A is right.. just assumed another scenario and B suited it better. The ARgument says that the farmers have a limited portion of water - let's say 500 Liter per day, if there is more or less water that share would not change; A doesn't say the when we cut all the trees there is almost no water to serve farmers, it just says there is less water.

What's wrong with B - does it strengthen the argument ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
ichha148 wrote:
Why D is not the answer:-
It talks about more area for crop and not about water and does not weaken the conclusion

Notice that the "strip of land" talked about in D is just limited to the strip of land along the river's banks where trees grow. This should not be confused with "arid land along the Colorado River", which is really the focus of this question.

So, if D had said "The ARID land where trees grow along the river’s banks would not be suitable for growing crops if the trees were removed", then I believe D definitely would have been the correct answer.

Wow! So easy to get confused on this, during the exam!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
yyc881123 wrote:
[textarea]Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Premise: Use of river water is strictly controlled, but there are some trees that use the river's water.
Conclusion: If the trees are removed, more water will be available for irrigation.

We need to weaken this conclusion.
The conclusion can be weakened if we can prove that the trees are not just water suckers, they are actually doing a good job standing there.
Of the given options, option A talks on the same lines by saying that the trees reduce the amount of water that is lost because of evaporation.

Correct Option: A
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks

Conclusion - Remove trees -> more water would be available for crop irrigation
To weaken the conclusion , the correct answer will show that there is a problem with the proposed plan .

a. The trees along the river’s banks shelter it from the sun and wind, thereby greatly reducing the amount of water lost through evaporation.
Correct Answer . If the trees greatly reduce the amount of water lost through evaporation , then removing the trees is likely to make LESS water available for crop irrigation . Thus , it will weaken the argument
b. Owners of farms along the river will probably not undertake the expense of cutting down trees along the banks unless they are granted a greater allocation of water in return . Irrelevant .
One should be skeptical of choices that question the difficulty of implementation of the plan .

Incorrect
iSWAT - This option focuses on the strip of land where trees grow along the river bank's .
Also the conclusion focus directly on availability of water .
e. The distribution of water allocations for irrigation is intended to prevent farms father upstream from using water needed by farms father downstream.
Incorrect - Irrelevant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
BrainLab wrote:
narrowed to A and B and picked B (.

I don't get why A is right.. just assumed another scenario and B suited it better. The ARgument says that the farmers have a limited portion of water - let's say 500 Liter per day, if there is more or less water that share would not change; A doesn't say the when we cut all the trees there is almost no water to serve farmers, it just says there is less water.

What's wrong with B - does it strengthen the argument ?

I thought so too, since it says in the premise that farmers have a certain allocation. I thought the allocation would stay the same even if the trees are removed. What is the use of removing the trees if they still don't get any increase in their allocation?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Conclusion: Remove tress - get more water for crops
Premise 1: Arid region water usage is controlled
Premise 2: Famers allocated water

We are looking for an answer that weakens the conclusion that "removing trees will somehow provide farmers with more water to irrigate"

(A). The trees along the river’s banks shelter it from the sun and wind, thereby greatly reducing the amount of water lost through evaporation - Does this weaken the conclusion? To some extent YES, I will keep this as a possible answer because this tells us that the trees are infact not costing the farmers water but saving them water that would have evaporated.

(B). Owners of farms along the river will probably not undertake the expense of cutting down trees along the banks unless they are granted a greater allocation of water in return - Does this weaken the conclusion?NO. We are not concerned with the expense anywhere in this topic. Hence it can be ruled out.

(C). Many of the tree species currently found along the river’s banks are specifically adapted to growing in places where tree roots remain constantly wet - Does this weaken the conclusion? NO. If anything this strengthens the argument that the trees are indeed leeching a lot of water.

(D). The strip of land where trees grow along the river’s banks would not be suitable for growing crops if the trees were removed - Does this weaken the conclusion? NO. We are not concerned with whether or not the soil is cultivable. Don't lose sight of the conclusion that we just need to get more water. Not how we use this water.

(E). The distribution of water allocations for irrigation is intended to prevent farms father upstream from using water needed by farms father downstream - Does this weaken the conclusion? NO. We are not concerned what is the intention behind the allocation. Just whether or not we can get more by removing trees.

Answer A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Question Que: "seriously weaken"
Question Type: weaken, argument

To weaken this type of question:
1. find conclusion 2.find evidence (premise) 3.find assumption (gap) 4. ATTACK the gap (alternate cause)

Conclusion: Farmers cut tree, then more water flow

Evidence: water supply is strictly control: farms along the river have limited access to water for irrigation use.

Assumption (pre-thinking that closes the gap):
Trees are not beneficial in water irrigation. Therefore, if Cut tree, irrigation will improve.

Weaken:
Trees are beneficial in water irrigation. Therefore, if Cut tree, irrigation will get worst

Answer Choice C:
A. Cut tree , water lost through evaporation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
HI Experts can you please clarify why option B

(B) Owners of farms along the river will probably not undertake the expense of cutting down trees along the banks unless they are granted a greater allocation of water in return.

Is incorrect?
Though I know we are not talking about expense here, but this is a Weaken Question and new data can be introduced in options given to us. Plus as question mentioned that use of water is strictly controlled(I assumed by some1 or some agency) so my train of thought was -
FARMER WON'T INVEST IN REMOVING THE TREE IF THAT AUTHORITY GRANTS HIM/HER A GREATER ALLOCATION FIRST

Thanks in advance.
AjiteshArun egmat nightblade354 GMATNinja carcass
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos