Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Coordinate Geometryx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38836 [154]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [22]
Given Kudos: 130
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [9]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [5]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
In the figure above,line segment OP has slope 1/2 and line segment PQ [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:

Lets Assume P (a,b) and Q (x,y)
It is given that
Slope of OP
\(b/a=1/2\)
\(a=2b\)

Slope of OQ is \(y/x\)...Required..

Slope of PQ will be \(y-b/x-a = 2\)

y-b=2(x-2b)
y=2x-3b

(1)
OP = 2\sqrt{5}
OP = \sqrt{(a)^2 + (b^2)}
20 = a^2 + b^2
We already know a =2b
20 = 5b^2
b=+2 or -2
then a would be +4 or -4
If we use (4,2) to solve for (x,y) to reach to slope then
y-2/x-4 =2
y-2=2x-8
y=2x-6 We do not have another equation to solve for (x,y)

If we use (-4,-2) to solve for (x,y) to reach slope then
y+2/x+4 =2
y+2=2x+8
y=2x+6 We do not have another equation to solve for (x,y)

Hence Not Sufficient

(2) Q(5,4)--> x=5, y=4

y/x = 4/5

Bunuel Can u explain the approach, my wife is saying something is wrong :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: In the figure above,line segment OP has slope 1/2 and line segment PQ [#permalink]
Kudos
mikemcgarry why are we allowed to assume that O is at origin?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [6]
Re: In the figure above,line segment OP has slope 1/2 and line segment PQ [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ambar09d wrote:
mikemcgarry why are we allowed to assume that O is at origin?

Dear ambar09d,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, on GMAT PS geometry diagrams, there are lots of special cases that we can't assume---we can assume parallel or right angles or two equal sides simply because something looks that way. "Almost" doesn't count in geometry.

Nevertheless, there are a few basic assumptions we can make. If a line looks straight, we can assume that it is straight, that is has no hidden bend or curve to it. Also, if a point is portrayed as "on" a line, we can assume that it is in fact, "on" the line and not simply near the the line. In this diagram, point O is shown at the juncture of the x- and y-axes. We absolutely can assume that it is on both of those lines, and therefore, must be the intersection, the origin. Also, conventionally, the origin is often labeled O. For a problem to have a point labeled O near the origin but not exactly on it would a level of deviousness that we simply don't see on the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
i am confused. i think d is correct.

in 1
we now lengthe and slope we can find the coordinate of p
similarly we can find coordinate of q

and 1 is sufficient.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
i am confused. i think d is correct.

in 1
we now lengthe and slope we can find the coordinate of p
similarly we can find coordinate of q

and 1 is sufficient.

Dear thangvietnam,

From Statement #1, we are given the length of OP, and we already know the slope of OP, so we absolutely could find the (x, y) coordinates of point P. The trouble is that this is NOT what the question asks. It's asking for the slope of OQ, and having full information about OP and point P tells us zilch about point Q or segment OQ. From the prompt & Statement #1 combined, we know neither the length nor the slope of OQ--in fact, the question is asking for that slope.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
mikemcgarry
Hi, I'm totally convinced that B is right answer.
Just want to ask further.
What if statement 1 gives the slope of line OP (eg: 2), can statement 1 alone also sufficient?
Thank you so much in advance :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [0]
Expert Reply
lichting wrote:
mikemcgarry
Hi, I'm totally convinced that B is right answer.
Just want to ask further.
What if statement 1 gives the slope of line OP (eg: 2), can statement 1 alone also sufficient?
Thank you so much in advance :)

Dear lichting,

From the prompt information, we only know one angle in the triangle, angle P. (We don't explicitly have the value of that angle, but with the slope information and trigonometry--beyond what the GMAT expects you to know, we could find that angle. As it happens, that angle is 143°7'48.368", but you don't need to know how to find that.) The point is, from the fact that the slopes of OP and PQ are determined and fixed, angle P is locked into place at a specific value. All we know from the prompt is that one angle.

As it is, Statement #1 gives us only a length--thus, for triangle OPQ we have one length and one angle, and we can't find anything from that combination.

Now, your question is confusing to me. You see, in any GMAT DS questions, 100% of the time, the information in the prompt alone, without the statements, is always always always insufficient. We can never give a definitive answer to the DS prompt question solely from information in the prompt--the statements may or may not provide sufficient information, but without the additional information in the statements, we never can get anywhere. Thus, any information already present in the prompt never gets us any closer to sufficiency. If the information we have at any point is not sufficient, then repeating any part of it does absolutely zilch for us. This is a very common human misunderstanding that advertising and politicians like to exploit: repeating something doesn't actually make it more true. Thus, repeating the slope of OP, which we already know, does't absolutely zero to enhance the sufficiency of statement #1.

Let's say the question were different, and the prompt were asking for, say, the length of PQ.
Then, if statement #1 told the length of OP and the slope of OQ, then from all three slope, we could find all the angles in the triangle, and with the value of the length, we could find all three sides. When I say "we could find them"--they are mathematical fixed with definite values as a result of that information, although finding the actual numerical lengths and angles would involve using trigonometry--again, beyond what the GMAT expects. Actually, this wouldn't be a real GMAT DS question, because the GMAT is scrupulous about not asking you to determine the sufficiency of quantities that are technically mathematically fixed, although the math to find them is beyond GMAT math: the GMAT DS never goes into that territory.

You may find this blog article relevant:
GMAT Data Sufficiency: Congruence Rules

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [8]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos