Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [17]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began [#permalink]
Kudos
Present perfect tense is used if something starts in the past and continuous till the present or its affect is still present in the present. In this sentence the volcano has killed people and the effect is an emergency which is in present. Hence only A and C remains. In C which is used incorrectly. A wins.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began [#permalink]
Expert, I got this question correct but I have one doubt.

I know that with "Since" we need present perfect tense. Here the clause before "Since" contains present perfect tense whereas clause after since is in simple past tense. Can you please clarify this structure?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Kudos
RMD007 wrote:
Expert, I got this question correct but I have one doubt.

I know that with "Since" we need present perfect tense. Here the clause before "Since" contains present perfect tense whereas clause after since is in simple past tense. Can you please clarify this structure?

Dear RMD007,

I believe that this question slightly confused your basics.

Let's use another example to help you understand the basic concept that's confused you at the moment
1. I moved to Manhattan in 1990 - should be in simple past because that action got over all for once! I moved and then done!
2. I have worked with Google in Manhattan ever since - I still am working with Google from 1990 (perfect way to use present perfect tense)

So how do you put these 2 facts together?

I have worked with Google in Manhattan since I moved to Manhattan in 1990.

Did you see what happened?
Both the present perfect tense and the past tense are in perfect harmony and are describing my situation right now.
I started working with Google in 1990 when i moved to Manhattan and I still am working with Google.

I hope this cleared your confusion.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Awesome explanation, Alok322!

And for any beginners who are reading this (not you, RMD007 -- you already know what's up), you'll want to avoid the common misconception that verb tenses always have to "match" within the same sentence. Verb tenses don't even need to "match" in a parallel structure: if two actions happened at different times, there's no problem using two different verb tenses.

But the GMAT does really, really love to test you on the logic underneath those verb tenses. If the sentence uses more than one verb tense, does the sequence of events logically match those changing verb tenses? Here's a classic pain-in-the-arse: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-an-effort ... 83910.html
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

deepti1206 wrote:
Indonesia's Mount Merapi volcano has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.

A. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country

B. killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.

C. has killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, which has lead to the declaration of an emergency in the country.

D. had killed 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaration of an emergency in the country.

E. has been killing 191 people since it began erupting late last month, leading to the declaring of an emergency in the country

Choice A: This answer choice maintains proper tense use and preserves the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice B: This answer choice uses the simple past tense verb "killed" to refer to an event taking place in the present. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: In this answer choice, the modifying phrase "which has lead..." incorrectly modifies the noun "last month". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice uses the past perfect verb "had killed" to refer to an event taking place in the present. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice uses the present perfect continuous tense verb "has been killing", leading to an illogical meaning. The phrase "has been killing 191 people" implies that the volcano has been killing 191 people, gradually. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense - Use of Had on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Continuous Tense on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts