Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 02:13 It is currently 02 May 2024, 02:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Thank you Varun,

Appreciate your insights. You mentioned IIM B as another possible option, would you say that IIMB One Year is comparable to ISB? I am saying this because IIM's flagship programs are the two year one's?

Best Regards,

Munna

MBAkarma wrote:
Hello undrachivrpapu

Strong profile on the quantitative side and I see good potential on the qualitative side as well (AKA fodder for essays)
The experience in running the family business could be a great story to tell and showcase your unique side.
Coming to work experience, it looks good too- focus on highlighting some of your key achievements.
The brand of your college will not make or break your chances, as your profile looks decent in other areas.
Goals seem organic too, make sure you throw light on why MBA and why ISB.
You could also explore other one year programs in India at IIMA/B/C, although the deadline for IIMA/C for this year is already over.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

undrachivrpapu wrote:
Hi Guys,

I need some input from you all about ISB application. I am Male/28/B.Tech with a total of 6 years of Experience (details provided below). I have a 720 GMAT score (V40, Q49). I have very few extra curricular activity, I generally spend my free time taking care of my small family business (we have a small knitting factory employing 10-12 employees, its nothing big but since last 2 years I have been actively involved in helping my father out, he passed away in march and I have been taking care of the overall administration since then).

Work Experience -

Feb 2016 - Current, PwC India Advisory (D&A Tech Consulting) - Currently a Senior Consultant (promoted in 2017)
As part of the D&A Advisory practice I generally work with Banks and other Financial Service companies to evaluate their analytical capabilities and advise them on to optimise and improve their data usage. I have also been working closely with the PwC FinTech team to connect with FinTech start ups and explore avenues of collaboration.

Jan 2015 - Feb 2016, Deloitte India (Enterprise Risk Services) - Consultant
As part of the ERS Team within Deloitte India, I worked closely with the Statutory and Internal Audit teams designing and implementing analytical solutions to identify high fraud risks as well as gaps in business process.

Aug 2013 - Jan 2015 - PwC SDC Kolkata - Associate
Working as Data Analyst of the CAATs (Computer Aided Audit Techniques) team, on SAS 99 Journal entry testing for various clients providing auxiliary support to various PwC US, UK, Canada & Australia Audit teams.

Dec 2012 - Aug 2013 - Cognizant Technology Solutions - Assistant Engineering Trainee
I worked primarily with Cognizant's foreign clients to provide Technical Support and handle queries regarding any system inconsistencies

One drawback in my profile is that I am not from any renowned Engineering institute. I graduated from Institute of Engineering & Management (under WBUT) with 7.41/10 CGPA.

With regards to career goals, I would like to continue in Consulting or FinTech related role. The MBA for me is to facilitate more of a vertical shift rather than a industry change. I am facing a mental block in how I can present my case with the essays. I would really appreciate if you any of you guys have some inputs for me.

Also, feel free to suggest some alternate MBA programs, as of now I am thinking of applying to only ISB and NUS.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Munna
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Pearl148 wrote:
Hi All,

I am an Indian female currently working in an IT giant in Bangalore. I have 2 years and 4 months of experience.
My gmat score is 660(Q49,V31) and IR 6. It would be great if someone could evaluate my profile. I know the score is pretty low. I just took the exam a day ago. And since I haven't started working on the essays either, I am kinda confused if I should rush in and take GMAT after 16-20 days and try for this year or is it better to take my time and apply next year? Also what are my chances of getting through with my current score?
Academics: 10th : 97% ; 12th: 90% ; Engineering : 74% E&C(VTU)
Work: 1 promotion, 1 award
Apart from this I have been a national level chess player, All time VTU chess champion and have won numerous prizes in tournaments. Also a table tennis and badminton player(district level winner during school). And a lot of extra curriculars like seminars, paper presentations, essay writing, elocution, quizzes etc during school and college.
Active member of the CSR wing of my company.
Please provide your suggestions.

definitely increase your score (atleast 710 +)and gain some volunteer experience and try to apply wit 3+experience. Good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Debruyne wrote:
Thank you!
Can you tell me a bit about your profile.
And what are the flaws you see in my profile which might put off the team?

Posted from my mobile device

low GMAT and no volunteer work
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
GPA: 3.2
WE:Research (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear All,

Kindly review my profile.
Would having a PG degree be a boon or a bane?
Would having a gap year in order to chase a dream would come across like a boon or a bane?

Thanks and warm regards,
The Grey Pilgrim.

Planning to switch industry and role.
Indian Male 30
Class X : 90 %
Class XII : 90 %
Graduation : B.Tech Civil Engineer (2010) 80.1 %
Post Graduation : M.Tech Structural Engineering (2010-12) from IIT Kanpur with a CPI of 8.0.
2012 July- 2013 Feb : Worked as a Research Assistant at IIT Kanpur till Feb. For 6 months.
2013 March till 2014 July: Tried unsuccessfully for a shot at Civil Services Exam for 1.5 years.

2014 July till date: Ship Structural Engineer at the Research and Development Division of a re-known Ship Classification Society (Member of International Association of Classification Societies) that contributes to maritime safety and regulation through technical support, compliance verification and research and development .
- Client facing key consultancy projects involved in the stress assessment, fatigue life estimation, vibration analysis etc. of Naval Vessels, Bulk Carriers, Oil Tankers and other vessels.
- Managed cross-functional departments of the organisation and executed analysis and design projects
- Worked with Defense firms and Shipyards like Alion, Reliance Defence, ABG Shipyard, Mazagaon Dock Ltd, GRSE, CSL etc. on Consultancy projects
- Liaised with MoD, Navy and Coast Guards during projects
- Skilled at Core Engineering Analysis, Project Management, client handling, work quotations etc.

Total Work Experience : Work experience of 55 months till date

Achievements :
Work Related:
1) Optimized structural assessment methodology and brought about time savings (in man days) of a typical strength assessment project by 33%.
2) Executed consultancy projects to the tune of 1M$.
3) AAA rated client feedback after project completion in 2 projects.
4) Part of a key team involved in the development of structural guidelines for Steel vessels that all ships classed with my organisation needs to adhere with.

Hobbies & Extra-curricular : PADI Certified Scuba Diver, Home cook, Singer and Hobbyist Photographer.
Social Work : Part time Volunteer at the Art of Living Foundation
Post MBA goal: My short term post MBA goal is to switch over from my niche industry (Research/Engineering/Shipping) domain to a more generalized management role in the industry. I would like to acquire the necessary skills (core courses expertise) and soft skills (man management, negotiations, group activities) etc at ISB in order to prepare for this switch to a Management Consultancy role.

Long term goals: Use the knowledge, connections, network and experiences gained in all business roles from Consulting to start up and scale a chain of hotels/foodtrucks.

GMAT Score: 710

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
GreyPilgrim wrote:
Dear All,

Would having a gap year in order to chase a dream would come across like a boon or a bane?

Thanks and warm regards,
The Grey Pilgrim.

Indian Male 30
Post Graduation : M.Tech Structural Engineering (2010-12) from IIT Kanpur with a CPI of 8.0.
2012 July- 2013 Feb : Worked as a Research Assistant at IIT Kanpur till Feb. For 6 months.
2013 March till 2014 July: Tried unsuccessfully for a shot at Civil Services Exam for 1.5 years.

2014 July till date: Ship Structural Engineer at the Research and Development Division of a re-known Ship Classification Society (Member of International Association of Classification Societies) that contributes to maritime safety and regulation through technical support, compliance verification and research and development .
- Client facing key consultancy projects involved in the stress assessment, fatigue life estimation, vibration analysis etc. of Naval Vessels, Bulk Carriers, Oil Tankers and other vessels.
- Managed cross-functional departments of the organisation and executed analysis and design projects
- Worked with Defense firms and Shipyards like Alion, Reliance Defence, ABG Shipyard, Mazagaon Dock Ltd, GRSE, CSL etc. on Consultancy projects
- Skilled at Core Engineering Analysis, Project Management, client handling, work quotations etc.

Achievements :
Work Related:
1) Optimized structural assessment methodology and brought about time savings (in man days) of a typical strength assessment project by 33%.
4) Part of a key team involved in the development of structural guidelines for Steel vessels that all ships classed with my organisation needs to adhere with.

Hobbies & Extra-curricular : PADI Certified Scuba Diver, Home cook, Singer and Hobbyist Photographer.
Post MBA goal: My short term post MBA goal is to switch over from my niche industry (Research/Engineering/Shipping) domain to a more generalized management role in the industry. I would like to acquire the necessary skills (core courses expertise) and soft skills (man management, negotiations, group activities) etc at ISB in order to prepare for this switch to a Management Consultancy role.

Long term goals: Use the knowledge, connections, network and experiences gained in all business roles from Consulting to start up and scale a chain of hotels/foodtrucks.

Dear GreyPilgrim

Thanks for sharing such well written profile points. It shows the amount of clarity you already have as far as getting in B-school is concerned. This will surely help you.

GMAT Score and acads are good, Post graduate from an IIT adds to your application points positively.

Your achievements and extra-curricular are more than enough to help you write your story in the essays in a well structure format. One of the candidates we worked with was from core merchant navy background and he has successfully transitioned to a non-shipping role (not from ISB). You should speak with someone with a similar background as yours.

Coming to the first 2 questions that you have posted and as I see these concern you.

Having a PG degree will NOT be a bane to your..it will help you realize your post MBA goals and will make your journey smoother with lots of opportunities and ways in hand.

1.5 years of gap in your profile is not a bad thing to have unless you can justify as to what you were doing and in what way the learning from that experience helped you grow personally and professionally. I am sure you would have learning points that have enabled you take better decisions and apply those learning in your work later. You just have to give a thought again as to what were the core learning from that experience that have changed you professionally or personally as a person.

ISB encourages diverse profile, ISB also proudly has national level players (with gaps in their profile), monk as their alumni. Point is that ISB will definitely appreciate your overall profile if your essays and clarity of thoughts are bang on. As I see your profile is quite diverse given that you also have teaching experience in one of the premier institutes of India, roles undertaken at work front.

You already have a clear post mba goal and your thoughts are pretty clear as to where you see yourself. Focus on bringing out the learning that you have had from different experiences in your life with the choices that you have made :)

All the Best !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
I scored a 680 in my GMAT. Have worked for a year and a half as a Derivatives Trader, had a startup for 7 months and have been working online for the past 4 months on a small but scalable business model. Have written 3 guide books. That is pretty much the experience.
Any chance of getting an interview call from ISB?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
drunkentrepreneur wrote:
I scored a 680 in my GMAT. Have worked for a year and a half as a Derivatives Trader, had a startup for 7 months and have been working online for the past 4 months on a small but scalable business model. Have written 3 guide books. That is pretty much the experience.

Dear drunkentrepreneur,

Based on the limited information shared, given your experience Is well presented in the essays, you have a pretty decent chance of getting the interview call from ISB. Have a clarity on post mba goals and how ISB fits in to help you achieve your long term and short term goals.

All the Best !

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello GreyPilgrim

Yours is a pretty balanced profile.
The PG from IIT can only be helpful (definitely not a bane)
The challenge is to showcase why an MBA after this. As long as your can showcase career goals that are clear and realistic, you stand a good chance of getting an interview call.
Past acads, GMAT, work ex, extracurricular activities all seem to have enough potential. Key here is now how you choose to present your story and diversity.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

GreyPilgrim wrote:
Dear All,

Thanks and warm regards,
The Grey Pilgrim.

Indian Male 30

Achievements :
Work Related:

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello undrachivrpapu

Generally speaking IIMB is targeting people with slightly higher work ex than ISB is.
However, there is an applicant pool that is common to both schools.
Several people apply and get admissions to both and end up choosing/rejecting one program for the other.
Both programs have their own pros and cons.
Flagship, Batch size (large vs small), location, fees- all these features matter.
Whether a particular feature is an advantage or disadvantage will depend on your personal preference.
My personal opinion is of least importance here. Make a decision that takes care of all the features of the program and speak to alumni/current students to understand the pros and cons better.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

undrachivrpapu wrote:
Thank you Varun,

Appreciate your insights. You mentioned IIM B as another possible option, would you say that IIMB One Year is comparable to ISB? I am saying this because IIM's flagship programs are the two year one's?

Best Regards,

Munna

MBAkarma wrote:
Hello undrachivrpapu

Strong profile on the quantitative side and I see good potential on the qualitative side as well (AKA fodder for essays)
The experience in running the family business could be a great story to tell and showcase your unique side.
Coming to work experience, it looks good too- focus on highlighting some of your key achievements.
The brand of your college will not make or break your chances, as your profile looks decent in other areas.
Goals seem organic too, make sure you throw light on why MBA and why ISB.
You could also explore other one year programs in India at IIMA/B/C, although the deadline for IIMA/C for this year is already over.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

undrachivrpapu wrote:
Hi Guys,

I need some input from you all about ISB application. I am Male/28/B.Tech with a total of 6 years of Experience (details provided below). I have a 720 GMAT score (V40, Q49). I have very few extra curricular activity, I generally spend my free time taking care of my small family business (we have a small knitting factory employing 10-12 employees, its nothing big but since last 2 years I have been actively involved in helping my father out, he passed away in march and I have been taking care of the overall administration since then).

Work Experience -

Feb 2016 - Current, PwC India Advisory (D&A Tech Consulting) - Currently a Senior Consultant (promoted in 2017)
As part of the D&A Advisory practice I generally work with Banks and other Financial Service companies to evaluate their analytical capabilities and advise them on to optimise and improve their data usage. I have also been working closely with the PwC FinTech team to connect with FinTech start ups and explore avenues of collaboration.

Jan 2015 - Feb 2016, Deloitte India (Enterprise Risk Services) - Consultant
As part of the ERS Team within Deloitte India, I worked closely with the Statutory and Internal Audit teams designing and implementing analytical solutions to identify high fraud risks as well as gaps in business process.

Aug 2013 - Jan 2015 - PwC SDC Kolkata - Associate
Working as Data Analyst of the CAATs (Computer Aided Audit Techniques) team, on SAS 99 Journal entry testing for various clients providing auxiliary support to various PwC US, UK, Canada & Australia Audit teams.

Dec 2012 - Aug 2013 - Cognizant Technology Solutions - Assistant Engineering Trainee
I worked primarily with Cognizant's foreign clients to provide Technical Support and handle queries regarding any system inconsistencies

One drawback in my profile is that I am not from any renowned Engineering institute. I graduated from Institute of Engineering & Management (under WBUT) with 7.41/10 CGPA.

With regards to career goals, I would like to continue in Consulting or FinTech related role. The MBA for me is to facilitate more of a vertical shift rather than a industry change. I am facing a mental block in how I can present my case with the essays. I would really appreciate if you any of you guys have some inputs for me.

Also, feel free to suggest some alternate MBA programs, as of now I am thinking of applying to only ISB and NUS.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Munna
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
B

Originally posted by Sairam007 on 13 Nov 2018, 08:26.
Last edited by Sairam007 on 14 Nov 2018, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
drunkentrepreneur wrote:

A lot would depend on how your application, particularly the essays, frame up. However, if I were you, I would definitely give GMAT one more shot and go above 710 at least. Low experience and low GMAT is generally a weak combination.

All the best!
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Expert Reply
drunkentrepreneur wrote:

Hi! Pretty good chance if you are able to present your story well. Don't let 680 deter you. There are enough candidates getting in with 680 as long as one is able to present their strengths well. Overall, you seem to have good ingredients to build a strong set of essays. Go for it!

All the Best!
'ISBmantra'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: ISB '24
Send PM
PROFILE EVALUATION REQUEST FOR ISB, Round 2 this year.

Hello. I'm a 22 year old Indian Male who just graduated this year and will be taking GMAT in the mid-December. Looking at top 20 MBA Programmes in the US and the UK.

I’m a Professional Footballer, from India who has played in top tier football clubs of the world like Stoke city FC (Premiership - UK)

That being said, I've achieved my undergraduate degree in Bachelor of Business Management (International Business) - BBM(IB)

And I have completed it in 4 years rather than 3 as I was on tour most of the time due to my sporting career.

Undergrad % - 54.(Approx.GPA:3.4, according to the official gmat conversion table). 
Fluent in English and other 3 languages of India. Solid character like an Athlete should possess. 

My father is a senior figure in the world of consultancy in my city (Pune) and the state. 1 year Work Ex. with him since last year to present.

Obviously I won't nail the GMAT by getting a score like 750 or something. Not even 700 for that matter,but will try my best. I'm familiar with the application process and the diversity factor etc. But realistically what are we looking at here.

Any advices, suggestions, information as well as honesty will be appreciated.

Thanks,
K.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hi all,

I need feedback on my profile for ISB application. My profile is as follows:

Male (Indian) / 28 Years / GMAT Score - 680 (Q 50, V 31, IR 8, AWA 5)

Education-
M. Tech in Materials Science Engineering, IIT Bombay, 2013-15, GPA of 9.18/10.
B. Tech in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, College of Engineering Roorkee, GPA – 4 (Based on the GMAT 4.0 scale)
10th Standard - 88 %, Awarded merit based scholarship for 1 year
12th Standard - 85.6 %

Work Experience-
Scientist at Aditya Birla Science & Technology (Corporate Research & Development Centre of Aditya Birla Group), Aug 2015 - Present.
It’s a Technology Consultant role. As a part of R&D team, my role is to understand the in-depth knowledge of the aluminium production process, cater the technical challenges faced by our customer, and provide a cost-effective and energy efficient solution depending upon the customer requirements.

Awards & Achievements during my WE of 40 months (as of now):
1. Successfully implemented 2 major projects at plant site, in which each project has a benefit potential of 5-6 Cr annually.
2. Awarded with "PRIDE - The Monetary Recognition Scheme for Excellence" award for successful implementations of my plant trials at customer site.
3. Nominated for the "Emerging Professional" category in the Chairman's Award 2018 of Aditya Birla Group.
4. During my tenure as a Scientist, I have patented 1 technology as a first inventor, published 3 manuscripts in National/International conferences, and delivered technical talks during conferences/meetings.

Extra-curricular activities-
1. National level Kho-Kho player (Uttarakhand).
2. An avid Cricket player. Captain of corporate cricket team. Received best Batsman of the tournament award at ABG Annual Sports Event 2018 by Kapil Dev.
3. Student Coordinator, Zion (Annual Cultural Fest) 2012, College of Engineering Roorkee.
4. I have looked after my Dad’s business from time to time. My Dad is a super stockist/distributor of Britannia Biscuits in our city. It is sort of a supply-chain management role.

With Regards to my post MBA goals, I would like to continue in Consulting related role. MBA for me is to enter into the techno-managerial role related to Technical companies. I really need to shape my essays in a way that my achievements would compensate for my low GMAT score.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Bhavya1506

Your profile is strong on almost all factors- Academic Scores, Work Experience, Extracurricular, Educational and Professional Brands on the CV.
In fact the GMAT betrays the otherwise strong 'stat's of the profile. Not a deal breaker in itself, but maybe you scored much below your potential and might want a retake. However, even with this GMAT, you seem to have a good chance.
The key no doubt will be to showcase a need of an MBA and tie it in with your long-term and short-term career goals. But overall, pretty optimistic about your chances based on the 'quantitative' aspects.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Bhavya1506 wrote:
Hi all,

I need feedback on my profile for ISB application. My profile is as follows:

Male (Indian) / 28 Years / GMAT Score - 680 (Q 50, V 31, IR 8, AWA 5)

Education-
M. Tech in Materials Science Engineering, IIT Bombay, 2013-15, GPA of 9.18/10.
B. Tech in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, College of Engineering Roorkee, GPA – 4 (Based on the GMAT 4.0 scale)
10th Standard - 88 %, Awarded merit based scholarship for 1 year
12th Standard - 85.6 %

Work Experience-
Scientist at Aditya Birla Science & Technology (Corporate Research & Development Centre of Aditya Birla Group), Aug 2015 - Present.
It’s a Technology Consultant role. As a part of R&D team, my role is to understand the in-depth knowledge of the aluminium production process, cater the technical challenges faced by our customer, and provide a cost-effective and energy efficient solution depending upon the customer requirements.

Awards & Achievements during my WE of 40 months (as of now):
1. Successfully implemented 2 major projects at plant site, in which each project has a benefit potential of 5-6 Cr annually.
2. Awarded with "PRIDE - The Monetary Recognition Scheme for Excellence" award for successful implementations of my plant trials at customer site.
3. Nominated for the "Emerging Professional" category in the Chairman's Award 2018 of Aditya Birla Group.
4. During my tenure as a Scientist, I have patented 1 technology as a first inventor, published 3 manuscripts in National/International conferences, and delivered technical talks during conferences/meetings.

Extra-curricular activities-
1. National level Kho-Kho player (Uttarakhand).
2. An avid Cricket player. Captain of corporate cricket team. Received best Batsman of the tournament award at ABG Annual Sports Event 2018 by Kapil Dev.
3. Student Coordinator, Zion (Annual Cultural Fest) 2012, College of Engineering Roorkee.
4. I have looked after my Dad’s business from time to time. My Dad is a super stockist/distributor of Britannia Biscuits in our city. It is sort of a supply-chain management role.

With Regards to my post MBA goals, I would like to continue in Consulting related role. MBA for me is to enter into the techno-managerial role related to Technical companies. I really need to shape my essays in a way that my achievements would compensate for my low GMAT score.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Hi,

Could you please evaluate my profile. Will write my GMAT in 2 weeks. Will apply to ISB R2.

1)Will my graduation marks take away too much from my profile?
2)Does having a master's degree and CFA help my application or will it be seen as a negative?
3) are breaks in the resume before work experience count as an issue (like during study)?
4)Are there any other negatives or positives that I am over looking in my profile because above are my major concerns?

30, Female
10TH ICSE - 81%
12TH ISC - 90%
Graduation - BA (H) Economics - Delhi University - 48%
Post graduation - MA (H) Economics - Ferguson College Pune - 71% - (distinction & rank holder)
CFA level 2 cleared.

Job experience:
1.5 years - EY - Business Modelling (back office - global support advisory role)
2.5 years - KPMG india - project valuations and business Modelling ( client facing front office advisory role)
Exposure in various sectors especially infrastructure.

Extra curricular - Salsa and Kizomba dancer, regular NGO volunteer

Future:
Strategy and operations role.. hopefully commercial strategy.. possibly consumer products / FMCG company (PnG , HUL) or Deloitte USI- S&O.

Thank you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Coldcoffee1

Please see my replies in Blue

Coldcoffee1 wrote:
Hi,

Could you please evaluate my profile. Will write my GMAT in 2 weeks. Will apply to ISB R2.
Make sure you keep enough time to also work on the applications. Deadline is 15 Dec and considering you get done with the GMAT on 1st Dec, you have barely 2 weeks which is definitely not the luxury of time (unless you have already started work on the written application). Also give enough time to your referees.

1)Will my graduation marks take away too much from my profile? undergrad scores are definitely less, but can potentially be compensated with a high GMAT (think 720+). Your Master scores look decent- if you stood in top 20% of the class, mention that to further compensate.
2)Does having a master's degree and CFA help my application or will it be seen as a negative?
QUite the contrary my friend- CFA is always looked at positively by B Schools and Masters is not looked at negatively. However, it should all tie in with your story- why did you pursue Masters, CFA and why MBA now. What is the larger plan where all these pieces fit?
3) are breaks in the resume before work experience count as an issue (like during study)?
Depends on the nature and duration of the break. If you took a break of 1 year after 10+2 for preparing for entrances etc- this will not really impact negatively. Also, if there is some other break as long as you can justify it and show productive use of time and how you rose after it, it should be fine.
4)Are there any other negatives or positives that I am over looking in my profile because above are my major concerns?
The information shares is purely 'quantitative' in nature. On basis of that, the most glaring weakness is the undergrad scores- but this can be remedied- get a good GMAT score. Apart from the work experience, employer brand on the CV, CFA, extracurricular etc seem to make your work ex strong. This is, as mentioned earlier purely quantitative. ISB will also look at the 'qualitative' aspects of your profile to see if you stand out in the tough competition. The qualitative side is show through career progression, achievements, impact and contribution of your work/extracurricular and the realistic fit of career goals (mostly communicated through your essays/LOR).
If you can tie these well, then you have a decent shot

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

30, Female
10TH ICSE - 81%
12TH ISC - 90%
Graduation - BA (H) Economics - Delhi University - 48%
Post graduation - MA (H) Economics - Ferguson College Pune - 71% - (distinction & rank holder)
CFA level 2 cleared.

Job experience:
1.5 years - EY - Business Modelling (back office - global support advisory role)
2.5 years - KPMG india - project valuations and business Modelling ( client facing front office advisory role)
Exposure in various sectors especially infrastructure.

Extra curricular - Salsa and Kizomba dancer, regular NGO volunteer

Future:
Strategy and operations role.. hopefully commercial strategy.. possibly consumer products / FMCG company (PnG , HUL) or Deloitte USI- S&O.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  114   115   116   117   118  ...  307