Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:08 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [0]
Given Kudos: 559
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
HBS & Haas Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
tiktokbikbok wrote:
I still don’t see anything in this article that points to why using before would make past perfect redundant for this question. In fact, I would say that temporal markers are used very often with past perfect because the whole point of the tense is to "when" things happened. In any case, I found the actual question here on gmatclub and the answer is B: 12-days-of-c ... 78019.html

Read the comments in that article, people are asking the same question.
The key is the logic:
The past perfect is the " past in the past", so if you imagine a timeline it is before whatever past event.
If I am not able to make a clear timeline in the sentence, I need to use the past perfect.
Imagine the following sentence:
"I had my exams and then I had a party"
Can you tell me which event occured first? Obviously not.
Here you would the past perfect to make that clear:
I had completed my exams and then I had a party - now we know the exams came before the party.
But what if the sentence instead said:
After I finished my exams, I had a party.
Do you need to state that the exams occurred before? Clearly not, since you use "after"

and by using "after" you make the timeline clear on its own.
Using the past perfect is not necessary wrong, but it is unnecessary.

mysterymanrog wrote:
Read the comments in that article, people are asking the same question. The key is the logic: The past perfect is the " past in the past", so if you imagine a timeline it is before whatever past event. If I am not able to make a clear timeline in the sentence, I need to use the past perfect. Imagine the following sentence: "I had my exams and then I had a party" Can you tell me which event occured first? Obviously not. Here you would the past perfect to make that clear: I had completed my exams and then I had a party - now we know the exams came before the party. But what if the sentence instead said: After I finished my exams, I had a party. Do you need to state that the exams occurred before? Clearly not, since you use "after"

The first sentence should be "I had my exams and I had my party", without the then - sorry about that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
mysterymanrog wrote:
No need to use past perfect here since we have "before"

Since we have ‘Before realist forms…..’ it is a time marker, hence past perfect tense will indicate the occurrence of a previous event. Hence option B.
CR Forum Moderator
Send PM
anand123prk wrote:
Since we have ‘Before realist forms…..’ it is a time marker, hence past perfect tense will indicate the occurrence of a previous event. Hence option B.

You can use both - neither are wrong. Using "before" already tells you which event occurred prior
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
For someone who’s just starting out with Sentence correction, which is the best source of study material?
I was wondering between Kaplan and manhattan sentence correction
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Nullbyte wrote:
For someone who’s just starting out with Sentence correction, which is the best source of study material? I was wondering between Kaplan and manhattan sentence correction

Both are decent. Besides, you may try Ultimate Gmat grammar Book from GMAT club
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
Send PM
You can watch GMAT-Ninja’s SC correction series on YouTube
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello,

I’m looking for recommendations on a reliable resource to improve my critical reasoning section. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
winterschool wrote:
Q1. In many countries, the influence of fringe movements is increasing. The great centrifugal engine of modern culture turns faster and faster, spinning off fashions, ideologies, religions, artistic movements, economic theories, cultures, and dogmas in fabulous profusion. Hence, the modern culture threatens the national identities that now exist in the world. Which of the following statement, if true, most seriously weakens the argument? A. New national identities are often forged out of conflicts among diverse groups. B. A stable identity is typically a composite of a staggering number of subcultures, C. The rate of cultural change in most countries will soon change drastically. D. It is preferable to have a pluralistic than a monolithic national culture. E. A culture with a solidified national identity tends to have more social problems than one without such an identity. Difficulty - Hard

winterschool wrote:
Q2. The higher the average fat intake among the residents of a country, the higher the incidence of cancer in that country; the lower the average fat intake, the lower the incidence of cancer. So individuals who want to reduce their risk of cancer should reduce their fat intake. Which one of the following, if true, most weaken the argument? (A) The differences in average fat intake between countries are often due to the varying makeup of traditional diets. (B) The countries with a high average fat intake tend to be among the wealthiest in the world. (C) Cancer is a prominent cause of death in countries with a low average fat intake. (D) The countries with high average fat intake are also the countries with highest levels of environmental pollution. (E) An individual resident of a country whose population has a high average fat intake may have a diet with a low fat intake. Difficulty - Hard

CR Questions November - 3 :

Q1. In Varisland, when a subscriber of one telecom operator calls a subscriber of a different telecom ope­­­­­rator, the latter’s telecom company charges a small connection fee to the originating operator, a fee stipulated by the regulator and same for every operator. Almost all the new telecom operators are enticing customers by charging much lower call rates than charged by the existing operators. Since the connection fee is one of the sources of revenue for new companies, an increase in the fee will significantly improve the financials of the new operators and enable them to compete better in the market.

Which of the following statements is an assumption made by the author?

A. The regulator will most probably agree with the author’s recommended course of action

B. To improve the financials of the new companies, all the possible sources of revenues should be utilized in the best manner possible.

C. One of the goals of the regulator is to make the telecom market highly competitive, which will ensure consumer welfare.

D. For the new telecom operators, the connection fee does not form an insignificant proportion of their revenues

E. New companies will not have to pay increased connection fee to the existing companies

Difficulty - Hard

Q2. Policy analyst: Most government agencies become less effective over time. Some experts go so far as to recommend that every agency be eliminated after 10 years and created anew by replacing all of its existing personnel and revamping its bureaucratic structure. However, this policy would be impractical since certain government agencies perform vital functions, such as protecting national security, and therefore cannot afford even temporary upheaval.

In the policy analyst’s argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is evidence offered in support of an opinion that the policy analyst rejects; the second offers information that contradicts that evidence.

(B) The first is a premise that the policy analyst accepts but argues against; the second offers evidence that supports the analyst’s position.

(C) The first is a position that the policy analyst argues against; the second is the position that the analyst defends.

(D) The first is a generalization that the policy analyst accepts as accurate and is used as the basis for an opinion that the analyst rejects; the second is a consideration used to defend the analyst’s position.

(E) The first is a generalization that the policy analyst accepts as accurate and is used as the basis for the analyst’s position; the second offers another consideration used to defend that position.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
winterschool wrote:
Q1. In Varisland, when a subscriber of one telecom operator calls a subscriber of a different telecom ope­­­­­rator, the latter’s telecom company charges a small connection fee to the originating operator, a fee stipulated by the regulator and same for every operator. Almost all the new telecom operators are enticing customers by charging much lower call rates than charged by the existing operators. Since the connection fee is one of the sources of revenue for new companies, an increase in the fee will significantly improve the financials of the new operators and enable them to compete better in the market. Which of the following statements is an assumption made by the author? A. The regulator will most probably agree with the author’s recommended course of action B. To improve the financials of the new companies, all the possible sources of revenues should be utilized in the best manner possible. C. One of the goals of the regulator is to make the telecom market highly competitive, which will ensure consumer welfare. D. For the new telecom operators, the connection fee does not form an insignificant proportion of their revenues E. New companies will not have to pay increased connection fee to the existing companies Difficulty - Hard

Was torn between D and E. But E seems to contradict the premise that connection fee is same for every operator. Hence, D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Kirmani’s third study, as described in the passage,
suggests which of the following conclusions about a
black-and-white advertisement?
(Al It can be repeated more frequently than a
comparable color advertisement could before
consumers begin to suspect low manufacturer
confidence in the quality of the advertised
product.
(Bl It will have the greatest impact on consumers’
perceptions of the quality of the advertised
product if it appears during periods when a color
version of the same advertisement is also being
used.
(Cl It will attract more attention from readers of the
print publication in which it appears if it is used
only a few times.
(Dl It may be perceived by some consumers as
more expensive than a comparable color
advertisement.
(El It is likely to be perceived by consumers as
a sign of higher manufacturer confidence in
the quality of the advertised product than a
comparable color advertisement would be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys! I’m Nick and i’m looking for someone, who is gonna pass GMAT next summer. Maybe, we can somehow connect and do exercises together if u don’t mind. Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
NKcreator wrote:
Hi guys! I’m Nick and i’m looking for someone, who is gonna pass GMAT next summer. Maybe, we can somehow connect and do exercises together if u don’t mind. Thanks

Welcome to GMAT Club. I would strongly recommend, if it’s possible, that you try not to stretch out your prep for so long. We have so many people who have burnt out by studying for months and years. Instead, I would recommend that you study for only three months . You are much more likely to achieve your goals by spending three or four months then spending six or 8 months. Take it as United advice for its worth. I’m just an old man what do I know😂
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club. I would strongly recommend, if it’s possible, that you try not to stretch out your prep for so long. We have so many people who have burnt out by studying for months and years. Instead, I would recommend that you study for only three months . You are much more likely to achieve your goals by spending three or four months then spending six or 8 months. Take it as United advice for its worth. I’m just an old man what do I know😂

I have some problem I Gave official mock test 1,2,3,4 I scored 650,690,710,700 But on official tests I scored 520, 490 I do not know where is problem can you help ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
GMAT Focus 1:
625 Q84 V81 DI79
Send PM
Yashvashisht17 wrote:
I have some problem I Gave official mock test 1,2,3,4 I scored 650,690,710,700 But on official tests I scored 520, 490 I do not know where is problem can you help ?

Where you nervous?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yashvashisht17 wrote:

Wow. That’s a huge discrepancy… did you end up really running out of time?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:

I couldn’t agree more with this. I have been preparing for the last 1.5 years, with prolonged gaps in my preparation, of course. It’s depressing to see myself in such a pitiful situation now. No matter how much I try to focus, I always end up getting bogged down because of one reason or another.Nowadays, I am thinking about getting into a decent B-school, but I have no idea if I can get in with this score. Even while writing this, thoughts like ’I’m a terrible learner,’ etc., are popping up in my mind, and for some reason, my learning curve in verbal is not improving. P.S.: I have already taken the GMAT twice and scored 500 and 610 in the two attempts. and I belong to the group of over-represented crowd.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 788
Schools: Ross '26 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
GMACOG wrote:
I couldn’t agree more with this. I have been preparing for the last 1.5 years, with prolonged gaps in my preparation, of course. It’s depressing to see myself in such a pitiful situation now. No matter how much I try to focus, I always end up getting bogged down because of one reason or another.Nowadays, I am thinking about getting into a decent B-school, but I have no idea if I can get in with this score. Even while writing this, thoughts like ’I’m a terrible learner,’ etc., are popping up in my mind, and for some reason, my learning curve in verbal is not improving. P.S.: I have already taken the GMAT twice and scored 500 and 610 in the two attempts. and I belong to the group of over-represented crowd.

I understand this can be frustrating but if you have been preparing for such a long time don’t give up now. Have you tried working with a private tutor for verbal? Though expensive it might help you. Worked for me too
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  82   83   84   85   86  ...  184   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13951 posts