Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 02:53 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 02:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT Focus 1:
665 Q87 V82 DI80
GPA: 3
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 75613 [0]
Given Kudos: 21098
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT Focus 1:
665 Q87 V82 DI80
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
bb
Di can be a few options: OG2024 online tool, mba.com or DI sub-forum
In OG 2024 PDF, the DI section includes only only DS questions, it excluded Graph, Mutri Resoning, two sets questions.
I think its high time to import and work on developing New Questions in DI inline with Practise tests and Pratice question bank of Official Gmat
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: NUS '27
GPA: 3.49
WE:Operations (Finance)
Send PM
sampathgelam
In OG 2024 PDF, the DI section includes only only DS questions, it excluded Graph, Mutri Resoning, two sets questions. I think its high time to import and work on developing New Questions in DI inline with Practise tests and Pratice question bank of Official Gmat
Agreed, was supper disappointed to see the DI Review only had Data Sufficiency questions!
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1632 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
winterschool
Q1. Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows. (A) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows in cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from (B) that lives only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and has coloring completely different from that of (C) living only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from (D) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of (E) living only in cypress groves, depending almost wholly on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and having coloring completely different than Difficulty - Hard

winterschool
Q2. Before realist forms became prominent during the Archaic period, the proportions of sculpture were based on theory rather than observation. (A) Before realist forms became prominent during the Archaic period, the proportions of sculpture were based on theory rather than observation. (B) Before realist forms became prominent during the Archaic period, the proportions of sculpture had been based on theory rather than observation. (C) Before realist forms had become prominent during the Archaic period, the proportions of sculpture were based on theory rather than observation. (D) Before realist forms had become prominent during the Archaic period, the proportions of sculpture had been based on theory rather than observation. (E) Before realist forms became prominent during the Archaic period, the proportions of sculpture were being based on theory rather than observation. Difficulty - Hard

SC Questions November - 5 :

Q1. The private group of concerned citizens sought to have the city’s long-term waste-removal contract voided so as to open the process to competitive bidding.

(A)so as to open the process

(B)and so the process could be opened

(C)to open the process

(D)so that the city could open the process

(E)in order that they could open the process

Difficulty - Hard

Q2. Moody, who manages the National Numismatics Collection at the National Museum of American History, started buying unpainted miniature soldiers and to do it soon got swept into the field of military history, researching not only the battles themselves but the uniforms worn at the time.

A. and to do it soon got swept

B. and doing it soon got swept

C. and to do this soon got him swept

D. and doing so soon got swept

E. and to do it would soon got swept
Own Kudos [?]: 669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1013
GRE 1: Q165 V165
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
winterschool
Q1. The private group of concerned citizens sought to have the city’s long-term waste-removal contract voided so as to open the process to competitive bidding. (A)so as to open the process (B)and so the process could be opened (C)to open the process (D)so that the city could open the process (E)in order that they could open the process Difficulty - Hard
D?

So that = Answers the question "why"
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi I recently started my preps for GMAT Focus Edition, currently I am completing all the GMAT Ninja videos to give me a head start. I noted that the comprehension Q’s can be lengthy and we do not have the option of highlighting or annotating on the screen. It would also be time consuming to write down points on a paper. Whats your best tip for those preparing. Also, I’m more of a number person so while I enjoy reading, I can struggle with the details in word passages, any tips?

Posting this question in the group with hopes that others who may have struggled or who struggles with it can benefit from the tips.
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
ChandlerBong
D? So that = Answers the question "why"
How can the ‘city’ open the process?

winterschool
Q2. Moody, who manages the National Numismatics Collection at the National Museum of American History, started buying unpainted miniature soldiers and to do it soon got swept into the field of military history, researching not only the battles themselves but the uniforms worn at the time. A. and to do it soon got swept B. and doing it soon got swept C. and to do this soon got him swept D. and doing so soon got swept E. and to do it would soon got swept
The pronoun ‘it’ has no proper antecedent. So, A,B and E are out. Between C and D, parallelism is maintained in D. Although D does not sound right, it seems like the answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Malar95
Hi I recently started my preps for GMAT Focus Edition, currently I am completing all the GMAT Ninja videos to give me a head start. I noted that the comprehension Q’s can be lengthy and we do not have the option of highlighting or annotating on the screen. It would also be time consuming to write down points on a paper. Whats your best tip for those preparing. Also, I’m more of a number person so while I enjoy reading, I can struggle with the details in word passages, any tips?

Posting this question in the group with hopes that others who may have struggled or who struggles with it can benefit from the tips.

RC is not about memorizing every detail in the reading passages. Engaged reading is crucial. Focus on the passage's structure, the different perspectives presented, the main idea, and the author's tone. This way, you'll understand the passage's essence and can quickly go back to find specific details when answering the questions.
If you come across a key point or a term that you definitely want to remember and reference later, jot down the key word or phrase, along with the paragraph number, for easy reference.
Send PM
Score-Quest
RC is not about memorizing every detail in the reading passages. Engaged reading is crucial. Focus on the passage’s structure, the different perspectives presented, the main idea, and the author’s tone. This way, you’ll understand the passage’s essence and can quickly go back to find specific details when answering the questions. If you come across a key point or a term that you definitely want to remember and reference later, jot down the key word or phrase, along with the paragraph number, for easy reference.
Thanks for responding. I was thinking of ways to strategize as I watch GMAT Ninja videos. Half way through their RC videos. Would it help if I read the Question first then the passage to help me understand better where to focus?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
Malar95
Thanks for responding. I was thinking of ways to strategize as I watch GMAT Ninja videos. Half way through their RC videos. Would it help if I read the Question first then the passage to help me understand better where to focus?
Actually, I wouldn’t recommend reading the question before the passage. I totally get the urge to find strategies that might give you an edge on the GMAT RC sections. However, from my experience, the best approach is pretty straightforward: just read the passage through once and then tackle the questions, referring back to the passage if you need to for those detail-heavy questions.

Try to avoid skimming, paying disproportionate attention to the beginning and end of paragraphs, or speed reading. Instead, dive into the passage with genuine interest. Focus on understanding the structure, tone, main idea, different perspectives presented, and the author’s purpose. This way, you’ll be well-prepared to answer the questions that follow. Remember to read with curiosity—it can make a big difference!
Send PM
Score-Quest
Actually, I wouldn’t recommend reading the question before the passage. I totally get the urge to find strategies that might give you an edge on the GMAT RC sections. However, from my experience, the best approach is pretty straightforward: just read the passage through once and then tackle the questions, referring back to the passage if you need to for those detail-heavy questions. Try to avoid skimming, paying disproportionate attention to the beginning and end of paragraphs, or speed reading. Instead, dive into the passage with genuine interest. Focus on understanding the structure, tone, main idea, different perspectives presented, and the author’s purpose. This way, you’ll be well-prepared to answer the questions that follow. Remember to read with curiosity—it can make a big difference!
I love this tips. Thank you very much. I just wish they allowed us to highlight. Makes a significant difference.
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 237
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: NUS '27
GPA: 3.49
WE:Operations (Finance)
Send PM
Score-Quest
Actually, I wouldn’t recommend reading the question before the passage. I totally get the urge to find strategies that might give you an edge on the GMAT RC sections. However, from my experience, the best approach is pretty straightforward: just read the passage through once and then tackle the questions, referring back to the passage if you need to for those detail-heavy questions. Try to avoid skimming, paying disproportionate attention to the beginning and end of paragraphs, or speed reading. Instead, dive into the passage with genuine interest. Focus on understanding the structure, tone, main idea, different perspectives presented, and the author’s purpose. This way, you’ll be well-prepared to answer the questions that follow. Remember to read with curiosity—it can make a big difference!
Thank you for the advice, these tips are extremely helpful!

Thank you @Malar95 for asking the question
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
winterschool
Q1. The private group of concerned citizens sought to have the city’s long-term waste-removal contract voided so as to open the process to competitive bidding. (A)so as to open the process (B)and so the process could be opened (C)to open the process (D)so that the city could open the process (E)in order that they could open the process Difficulty - Hard
Is it D? Although I am leaning towards C as well

B?

winterschool
Q2. Moody, who manages the National Numismatics Collection at the National Museum of American History, started buying unpainted miniature soldiers and to do it soon got swept into the field of military history, researching not only the battles themselves but the uniforms worn at the time. A. and to do it soon got swept B. and doing it soon got swept C. and to do this soon got him swept D. and doing so soon got swept E. and to do it would soon got swept
B
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
AnuragSundriyal98

Until recently, quinoa was farmed via traditional methods that are relatively benign in terms of their effects on the environment. However, as quinoa, which contains key nutrients in high concentrations, has become increasingly popular, in order to produce quinoa in greater quantities, quinoa farmers have been shifting to using commercial farming methods that have significant negative effects on the environment. Therefore, people concerned about the environment should curtall their quinoa consumption and eat other foods Instead.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the logic of the above argument relles?

a)It would be possible for quinoa farmers to meet current demand by using traditional farming methods on farms that utilize large land areas.
b)There are other foods that contain the nutrients that quinoa contains in the exact same concentrations.
c)The commercial farming methods used for farming quinoa are more detrimental to the environment than are the methods used for farming other food crops.
d)Quinoa farmers were better off before increasing demand for quinoa catalyzed the shift to farming quinoa via modern commercial farming methods.
e)Quinoa would not be as popular as it is If more people were aware of the environmental effects of quinoa farming.

Answer (c), but why not (b)?

Why not e? If people were made aware of the environmental effects of quinoa farming it will become less popular and therefore will switch to other foods?
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
Send PM
D for the questions.
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being lost for nearly 300 years.

A) Michelangelo, it is believed, had made his sculpture of David using an eight-inch plaster model that was recently discovered after being

B) An eight-inch plaster model is believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David and recently discovered after it was

C) An eight-inch plaster model believed to have been used by Michelangelo for his sculpture of David has been discovered after having been

D) It is believed that an eight-inch plaster model that Michelangelo used for his sculpture of David and has recently been discovered after it was

E) It is believed that Michelangelo used an eight-inch plaster model for his sculpture of David, and it was recently discovered after having been
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1632 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
winterschool

winterschool

SC Questions November - 7 :

Q1. The company announced that its gross margin improved in the second quarter largely due to contracts it renegotiated with several of their suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue.

(A) their suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue

(B) their suppliers and that other vendors need to agree to renegotiate for the trend to continue

(C) its suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue

(D) its suppliers and that other vendors need to agree to renegotiate for the trend to continue

(E) the company’s suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue

Q2. Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, the Earth’s surface mostly anchors hot spots lying and anchored deeply in the interior of the plates

(A) Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, the Earth’s surface mostly anchors hot spots lying and anchored deeply in the interior of the plates

(B) Found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust unlike most volcanoes, hot spots are mostly are anchored on the Earth’s surface lying deeply in the interior of the plates

(C) Most volcanoes, unlike hot spots, are found along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, anchored on the Earth’s surface and lying deeply in the interior of the plates

(D) Hot spots, anchored on the Earth’s surface and lying deeply in the interior of the plates, unlike most volcanoes, are found along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust

(E) Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, the hot spots are mostly anchored on the Earth’s surface lying deeply in the interior of the plates
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
winterschool
Q2. Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, the Earth’s surface mostly anchors hot spots lying and anchored deeply in the interior of the plates (A) Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, the Earth’s surface mostly anchors hot spots lying and anchored deeply in the interior of the plates (B) Found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust unlike most volcanoes, hot spots are mostly are anchored on the Earth’s surface lying deeply in the interior of the plates (C) Most volcanoes, unlike hot spots, are found along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, anchored on the Earth’s surface and lying deeply in the interior of the plates (D) Hot spots, anchored on the Earth’s surface and lying deeply in the interior of the plates, unlike most volcanoes, are found along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust (E) Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust, the hot spots are mostly anchored on the Earth’s surface lying deeply in the interior of the plates
E has the best comparison between volcanoes and hot spots. Hence, A.

winterschool
Q1. The company announced that its gross margin improved in the second quarter largely due to contracts it renegotiated with several of their suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue. (A) their suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue (B) their suppliers and that other vendors need to agree to renegotiate for the trend to continue (C) its suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue (D) its suppliers and that other vendors need to agree to renegotiate for the trend to continue (E) the company’s suppliers and if other vendors would agree to renegotiate the trend would continue
Subject verb agreement and parallelism errors are eliminated in choice D. Hence,D is the the correct answer.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  83   84   85   86   87  ...  218   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7080 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14036 posts