Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 17:00 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 17:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Ishitalal wrote:
Hi I need some help. I have taken coursea from Princeton and egmat both but they online video method is not my piece of cake. I need A fully reliable offline material that i can work with. Be it a book or an online doc that i can print. Does anyone have any idea?

Will manhattan prep books help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Ishitalal wrote:
Will manhattan prep books help?

I feel its similar to most tutoring in a sense that its still subjective. I have the Quant books and again, I dont rely on it entirely.

I went back to FORUM.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
12-days-of-christmas-gmat-competition-day-6-a-university-library-is-423166.html

for this question, can anyone explain why C is not a candidate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Because
it doesn’t directly support the idea of the overall number of textbooks accessed remaining the same.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
but, it is giving the idea that digital books increasing and physical ones decreasing

making overall books same

the answer is B, which is based on study habits, its a big term as studying habits may change (depending on students)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hritgoel wrote:
for this question, can anyone explain why C is not a candidate

The argument clearly says even after having the accessibility to online materials, the students are not reading more. The no books read by the students is still the same. So we need an answer which supports the idea that book reading or learning will be constant. B does that. C on the other hand will be a possibility, which we cannot predict as we are not the authors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
But it said the number of textbooks accessed were same ( which means we can’t predict whether it decreased or increased)
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1630 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
winterschool wrote:
Q1. A local department store hires college students for one month every spring to audit its unsold inventory. It costs the department store 20 percent less to pay wages to students than it would cost to hire outside auditors from a temporary service. Even after factoring in the costs of training and insuring the students against work-related injury, the department store spends less money by hiring the student auditors than it would by hiring auditors from the temporary service. The statements above, if true, best support which of the following assertions? (A) The amount spent on insurance for college-student auditors is more than 20 percent of the cost of paying the college students’ basic wages. (B) It takes 20 percent less time for the college students to audit the unsold inventory than it does for the outside auditors. (C) The department store pays its college-student auditors 20 percent less than the temporary service pays its auditors. (D) By hiring college students, the department store will cause 20 percent of the auditors at the temporary service to lose their jobs. (E) The cost of training its own college-student auditors is less than 20 percent of the cost of hiring auditors from the temporary service.

winterschool wrote:
Q2. Those influenced by modern Western science take it for granted that a genuine belief in astrology is proof of a credulous and unscientific mind. Yet, in the past, people of indisputable intellectual and scientific brilliance accepted astrology as a fact. Therefore, there is no scientific basis for rejecting astrology. The argument is most vulnerable to criticism on which one of the following grounds? (A) A belief can be consistent with the available evidence and accepted scientific theories at one time but not with the accepted evidence and theories of a later time. (B) Since it is controversial whether astrology has a scientific basis, any argument that attempts to prove that it has will be specious. (C) Although the conclusion is intended to hold in all cultures, the evidence advanced in its support is drawn only from those cultures strongly influenced by modern Western science. (D) The implicit assumption that all practitioners of Western science believe in astrology is false. (E) The fact that there might be legitimate nonscientific reasons for rejecting astrology has been overlooked.

CR Questions December - 28 :

Q1. When the heart is under duress, it releases proteins known as troponins into the bloodstream. In elite marathoners and cyclists, troponin levels become so elevated after a race that they are indistinguishable from those observed in patients who have recently suffered a heart attack. Despite the benefits of exercise, it is evident that too much running or cycling, even for one day, has a detrimental effect on health.

Which of the following would be most useful to determine to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether non-elite runners and cyclists, after prolonged exercise, have more troponin in their bloodstream than do elite athletes.

(B) How long the body takes, on average, to restore elevated troponin levels to normal.

(C) Whether the body produces any other substances after extended periods of exercise that may be harmful.

(D) Whether the body sustains irreparable damage as a result of a long-distance run or bicycle ride.

(E) Whether other forms of prolonged cardiovascular exercise, such as swimming, also lead to elevated levels of troponin in the body.

Difficulty - Hard

Q2. Plantings of cotton bioengineered to produce its own insecticide against bollworms, a major cause of crop failure, sustained little bollworm damage until this year. This year the plantings are being seriously damaged by bollworms. Bollworms, however, are not necessarily developing resistance to the cotton’s insecticide. Bollworms breed on corn, and last year more corn than usual was planted throughout cotton-growing regions. So it is likely that the cotton is simply being overwhelmed by corn-bred bollworms.

In evaluating the argument, which of the following would be most useful to establish?

(A) Whether corn could be bioengineered to produce the insecticide

(B) Whether plantings of cotton that does not produce the insecticide are suffering unusually extensive damage from bollworms this year

(C) Whether other crops that have been bioengineered to produce their own insecticide successfully resist the pests against which the insecticide was to protect them

(D) Whether plantings of bioengineered cotton are frequently damaged by insect pests other than bollworms

(E) Whether there are insecticides that can be used against bollworms that have developed resistance to the insecticide produced by the bioengineered cotton

Difficulty - Hard
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Attempted to level up for CR by trying 700 level Q’s cause I got pretty comfy with 650 level Q’s (error log showed that I made errors but around 70% accuracy and my wrong answers had a lot to do with me being stuck with 2 option choices and I picked the wrong one).
700 level Q’s feels like a whole new ball game entirely though. It feels that the thinking is more on how the Q is worded and the mess around it.
I’ve just been using Charles - GMAT Ninja’s techniques and so far it has worked.
With those above 700, its a killer.
Any tips?
CR is literally the only part of the whole GMAT that I have found pretty doable for me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Malar95 wrote:
Attempted to level up for CR by trying 700 level Q’s cause I got pretty comfy with 650 level Q’s (error log showed that I made errors but around 70% accuracy and my wrong answers had a lot to do with me being stuck with 2 option choices and I picked the wrong one). 700 level Q’s feels like a whole new ball game entirely though. It feels that the thinking is more on how the Q is worded and the mess around it. I’ve just been using Charles - GMAT Ninja’s techniques and so far it has worked. With those above 700, its a killer. Any tips? CR is literally the only part of the whole GMAT that I have found pretty doable for me.

I can feel you, that part when we are left with only 2 choices we always pick the wrong answer! haha :-) It says that you have understood the argument, but couldn’t dissect the option statements well. There is always a small catch in the wrong choice (after you left with 2) that you need to see, because author must have let a tiny fault in that. Be Subtle in thinking as Charles ( G-Ninja ) says. As we go up the difficulty, we can see such twisting getting worse, you need to be very careful. I think you are on the right path towards 90% in CR. Practice more and analyze each question in detail. Try to understand how author has framed the question. By doing this you will soon start to find the answer when prethinking. Good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species
of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly
cooperative and organized society where they consist
almost entirely of females-the queen and her sterile
female workers.
(Al wasps living in a highly cooperative and
organized society where they consist almost
entirely of
(Bl wasps that live in a highly cooperative and
organized society consisting almost entirely of
(Cl which means they live in a highly cooperative and
organized society, almost all
(Dl which means that their society is highly
cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
(El living in a society that is highly cooperative,
organized, and it consists of almost all

can anyone help with SC question?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This is OG question I suppose
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 654398 [0]
Given Kudos: 87117
Send PM
Expert Reply
Critical Reasoning Butler: December 2023
December 29CR 1CR 2
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You can find very good explanations for this question in GMAT club. Just search the question and see. Daag and other experts have alrady explained.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hritgoel wrote:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species
of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly
cooperative and organized society where they consist
almost entirely of females-the queen and her sterile
female workers.
(Al wasps living in a highly cooperative and
organized society where they consist almost
entirely of
(Bl wasps that live in a highly cooperative and
organized society consisting almost entirely of
(Cl which means they live in a highly cooperative and
organized society, almost all
(Dl which means that their society is highly
cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely
(El living in a society that is highly cooperative,
organized, and it consists of almost all

can anyone help with SC question?

This question is discussed in details here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/yellow-jacke ... 13500.html Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hritgoel wrote:
Yellow jackets number among the 900 or so species of the world’s social wasps, wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of females-the queen and her sterile female workers. (Al wasps living in a highly cooperative and organized society where they consist almost entirely of (Bl wasps that live in a highly cooperative and organized society consisting almost entirely of (Cl which means they live in a highly cooperative and organized society, almost all (Dl which means that their society is highly cooperative, organized, and it is almost entirely (El living in a society that is highly cooperative, organized, and it consists of almost all

in B option, the given part is dependent clause right?

sure, thank you!1
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sentence Correction Butler: December 2023
December 29SC 1SC 2
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  102   103   104   105   106  ...  204