Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 09:30 It is currently 06 May 2024, 09:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

I need some help and advice. Quite late in the app cycle did I realize that Kenan's admission is an open interview process. So I have scheduled my interview with an alumni.

Couple of Qs:

Is KF an open interview process? i.e. everyone gets a chance to interviews and there are no interview invites that go out.

Is interviewing with an alum a good strategy?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
USMBAseeker wrote:
livery wrote:
Does anybody know any historical stats regarding scholarship for UNC?

Livery, As per the Businessweek profile for Kenan-Flagler, 71% of all incoming students receive some scholarship amount and 89 students receive a full tuition scholarship.

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... s/unc.html

From the unc website:

"Merit Fellowships

The decision to pursue an MBA is a significant financial one. We are able to provide full and partial tuition merit fellowships for exceptional applicants. Almost 30 percent of UNC Kenan-Flagler students receive some fellowship assistance."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
USMBAseeker wrote:
livery wrote:

Livery, As per the Businessweek profile for Kenan-Flagler, 71% of all incoming students receive some scholarship amount and 89 students receive a full tuition scholarship.

From the unc website:

"Merit Fellowships

The decision to pursue an MBA is a ignificant financial one. We are able to provide full and partial tuition merit fellowships for exceptional applicants. Almost 30 percent of UNC Kenan-Flagler students receive some fellowship assistance."

My bad. It is actually 71% of students receive "aid".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
From the unc website:

"Merit Fellowships

The decision to pursue an MBA is a ignificant financial one. We are able to provide full and partial tuition merit fellowships for exceptional applicants. Almost 30 percent of UNC Kenan-Flagler students receive some fellowship assistance."[/quote]

My bad. It is actually 71% of students receive "aid".[/quote]

yep :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
USMBAseeker wrote:
livery wrote:

God no. Till now I know of 2 people who got full ride, 1 75%, me at 50%, and a couple others below that. I highly doubt a school would have enough money for 89 full schols. I reviewed stats from other sites and approx 30% receive some schol, with just 10 or so full schols/premier fellowships(not sure about that no.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Yea I have been called that...join up on the FB group n lets discuss how much of a buzzkill I m!!! :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
dormor wrote:
livery wrote:
sayak57 wrote:
dawg that's effin depressing. but maybe what you say is true. or maybe like duke they know that whoever apply to ea know a fair amount about the school and it is not a backup choice for them, so they might have reserved most of the money for them. I guess we will never know until the pool all our cash in, will we?

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

The whole point of providing scholarship is to lure a student who otherwise may not have joined the school. As EA guys have already pledged themselves to the school, School doesn't need to throw any extra money to attract the poor sods. But in R1 and R2, it's totally different ball game.

I got full tuition fellowship, in EA. I know another guy that got 85% in EA.

Ohh shoots!! now i ll have to search for another way to console myself for the next 3 days :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Asset Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
mymbagoal wrote:
Hi everyone,

I need some help and advice. Quite late in the app cycle did I realize that Kenan's admission is an open interview process. So I have scheduled my interview with an alumni.

Couple of Qs:

Is KF an open interview process? i.e. everyone gets a chance to interviews and there are no interview invites that go out.

Is interviewing with an alum a good strategy?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks!

I interviewed with an alum and was admitted. I don't know if it gives any advantages but I sure didn't have any disadvantages.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Sorry the emails were from Sharon.

Attaching a part of the email here:

" When you initiated your application, deadline one (October 18) was the designated submission date. That deadline has passed, but it's no problem for us to move you to one of the upcoming deadlines. You still have plenty of time to make our second or third deadline.
The majority of applicants are admitted in the second and third rounds, and these are also the rounds in which the most scholarships are awarded. Do you prefer we move you to December 9 (second deadline) or January 13 (third deadline)? We can also move you to the final deadline, March 14, if you think you need that much more time to complete your application."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
somu12345 wrote:
Sorry the emails were from Sharon.

Attaching a part of the email here:

" When you initiated your application, deadline one (October 18) was the designated submission date. That deadline has passed, but it's no problem for us to move you to one of the upcoming deadlines. You still have plenty of time to make our second or third deadline.
The majority of applicants are admitted in the second and third rounds, and these are also the rounds in which the most scholarships are awarded. Do you prefer we move you to December 9 (second deadline) or January 13 (third deadline)? We can also move you to the final deadline, March 14, if you think you need that much more time to complete your application."

It makes sense that most scholarships are given in rounds which they admit more students. However she seems to be talking about quantity, absolute numbers. The key point here is not the absolute numbers, but the proportion of how much scholarship is awarded vs how many admitted students.

Also it is important to remember that UNC early action is not binding (completely different from Duke and Columbia). So, IMHO, I would award bigger scholarships to outstanding students that commit early to my school, since they won't have a legal obligation to attend if admitted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
WE:Programming (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hi,

I have my interview in less than an hour and I am facing internet connectivity issues at my home. :(

If I loose connection in between interview, will the interviewer call me on phone? I am a bit worried....

Any help is highly appreciated..

Regards,
Chetan Sharma
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V36
WE:Programming (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
gchetansharma wrote:
Hi,

I have my interview in less than an hour and I am facing internet connectivity issues at my home. :(

If I loose connection in between interview, will the interviewer call me on phone? I am a bit worried....

Regards,
Chetan Sharma

Finished the interview with Katie Dunn... Though I faced technical glitches (as I connected to skype from my phone) it was all fine at the end. Of course I screwed up a little bit in answering the questions.. :oops:
The interview was conversational and the questions were mostly inline to the questions posted earlier in this forum. Now will have to wait till the D-day... :|

Regards,
Chetan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
Send PM
Cong on your interview. Good luck

gchetansharma wrote:
gchetansharma wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Chetan Sharma

Finished the interview with Katie Dunn... Though I faced technical glitches (as I connected to skype from my phone) it was all fine at the end. Of course I screwed up a little bit in answering the questions.. :oops:
The interview was conversational and the questions were mostly inline to the questions posted earlier in this forum. Now will have to wait till the D-day... :|

Regards,
Chetan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
prodizy wrote:
livery wrote:
Yea, they will call you. Keep Calm and say Valar Morghulis.

Ha ha ha. So that's your secret to the two admits? ;) May be I should start saying that too :)

Thanks,
Prodizy

Actually secret to UNC admit was three Carlesberg Elephant cans. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
Hi guys,

I had my interview scheduled on March 5th. Reading the forum, I am getting worried that my interview might be too late. Would this affect my chance of getting admit and prob. fellowship? Thanks a bunch.
Retired Moderator
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
gmatfighter12 wrote:
Hi guys,

I had my interview scheduled on March 5th. Reading the forum, I am getting worried that my interview might be too late. Would this affect my chance of getting admit and prob. fellowship? Thanks a bunch.

Hey,

Why would you think that? What exactly did you read in the forum? The deadlines are there for a reason. I don't think even the person who is giving the interview on the last possible date for Round3 has any disadvantage. You are giving the interview twelve days before the decision notification date. I think that is ample time for the adcom to evaluate your interview report.

Thanks,
Prodizy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
prodizy wrote:
gmatfighter12 wrote:
Hi guys,

Hey,

Why would you think that? What exactly did you read in the forum? The deadlines are there for a reason. I don't think even the person who is giving the interview on the last possible date for Round3 has any disadvantage. You are giving the interview twelve days before the decision notification date. I think that is ample time for the adcom to evaluate your interview report.

Thanks,
Prodizy

Thanks Prodizy. I guess I have been reading multiple forums and seeing tons of admit makes me even more anxious.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35  ...  45   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts