Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 02:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M21-28

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56261
M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:15
3
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (02:25) correct 15% (02:16) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45

_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56261
Re M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:15
Official Solution:

After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45

Denote \(x\) as the required number of correct answers. \(x\) must satisfy the equation \(\frac{0.64*M*50 + x}{50M + 50} = \frac{7}{10}\) or \(350M + 350 = 320M + 10x\) or \(x = 3M + 35\).

Answer: B
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2015
Posts: 7
Location: United States (CA)
Schools: Wharton '20 (II)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.63
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 15:24
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45

Denote \(x\) as the required number of correct answers. \(x\) must satisfy the equation \(\frac{0.64*M*50 + x}{50M + 50} = \frac{7}{10}\) or \(350M + 350 = 320M + 10x\) or \(x = 3M + 35\).

Answer: B


Can you split out that formula and explain why each term is in there? I don't understand how you got to \(\frac{0.64*M*50 + x}{50M + 50} = \frac{7}{10}\)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 91
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 06:34
rizzy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45

Denote \(x\) as the required number of correct answers. \(x\) must satisfy the equation \(\frac{0.64*M*50 + x}{50M + 50} = \frac{7}{10}\) or \(350M + 350 = 320M + 10x\) or \(x = 3M + 35\).

Answer: B


Can you split out that formula and explain why each term is in there? I don't understand how you got to \(\frac{0.64*M*50 + x}{50M + 50} = \frac{7}{10}\)




Consider the required equation

0.64 * M * 50 + x = 7/10 * 50 ( M + 1)


0.64 * M * 50 = 50 M Questions were answered off which 64% were accurate
x = the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70%

7/10 * 50 ( M + 1) = total correct answers must be 70% . Here in (M+1) = +1 is for the next student

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 12:24
Hi Bunuel,

I took the shortest way possible I guess but I don´t know if I´m correct at all....

Assuming M=0, the only person in doing the exam needs a 70% of correct answers.

70% of 50 = 0,7 * 50 = 35; With M=0; Answer B

Is that possible?

Thank you in advance.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56261
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 04:17
1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 421
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 03:18
+1 for option B. Given that there are 50 students and they answer 50 questions each. We have 50M questions. 64% of these are correct. we need to find the number of questions the 51st student needs to answer correctly to get the tally to 70%. (0.64*50M+x)/(50(M+1))=0.7. Solve and get x as 3M+35. Hence option B.
_________________
" The few , the fearless "
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 16 Nov 2016
Posts: 274
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 03:58
Bunuel wrote:
After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45


For LHS denominator why do we add 50 to 50M? Doesn't 50 M already give us the total number of questions attempted?
_________________
If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56261
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 03:42
1
ENEM wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45


For LHS denominator why do we add 50 to 50M? Doesn't 50 M already give us the total number of questions attempted?


M students attempted 50M questions, the next students attempts additional 50 questions, so total questions attempted 50M + 50.
_________________
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 3848
Location: Canada
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 05:23
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45


If M tests were taken, and each test has 50 questions, then the total number of questions answered = 50M

We're told that there was a total of 64% of correct answers.
So, the total number of correctly-answered questions = 64% of 50M = 32M

If a NEW student takes the test, then there will be M+1 tests taken.
Since each test has 50 questions, the NEW total number of questions answered = 50M + 50

Let C = the number of questions the NEW students answer correctly
So, the NEW number of correctly-answered questions = 32M + C

We want to bring the total of correct answers to 70%
That is, we want: (32M + C)/(50M + 50) = 70/100
Simplify right side: (32M + C)/(50M + 50) = 7/10
Multiply both sides by 10 to get: 10(32M + C)/(50M + 50) = 7
Multiply both sides by (50M + 50) to get: 10(32M + C) = 7(50M + 50)
Expand: 320M + 10C =350M + 350
Subtract 320M from both sides: 10C =30M + 350
Divide both sides by 10 to get: C =3M + 35

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2283
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: M21-28  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 23:47
Bunuel wrote:
[b]

After \(M\) students took a test, there was a total of 64% of correct answers. If the test contains 50 questions, what is the least number of questions that the next student have to get right to bring the total of correct answers to 70% ?

A. 3M + 20
B. 3M + 35
C. 4M + 15
D. 4M + 20
E. 4M + 45


Let M=1 students attempted total questions of 50.

Total correct questions = 32


Let required number of correct answers=\(x\).

\(\frac{32 + x}{100} = \frac{7}{10}\)

\(x=38\)

Apply M in the answer choices, only one fits

3*1 + 35 = 38

Answer: B
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M21-28   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2019, 23:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M21-28

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne