Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Marshall 2013 (USC) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Good luck to all final rounders today! Let's wrap this admission season up in fashion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.32
WE:Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Have any Round 3 applicants received their notice yet? The notification date has come and gone and all is quiet...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
slugabedd wrote:
APEX wrote:
MR2015 wrote:
If you look at the specialty portion of Marshall's profile of the rankings just released, there isn't a ranking below 20. I really do think that the dip in the overall ranking was due to low employment reports, which was caused by Marshall being without a career services director for a year.

This is true and not something many schools are able to achieve.

I definitely agree with the low employment stats caused by some serious staffing changes being a major factor harming the overall score this year. These changes definitely sound positive and should bring vast improvements to the rankings next year.

I believe this caused a decline last year as well, where the placement record was for worse than this year. However, with an improving economy and a positive trend in MBA hires, the placement had to be better this year. I still do not feel confident and have raised this question to current students as well. Let's see how they respond. :?

Hey guys, I just wanted to share this that I found when I was researching about the drops in rankings and the low employment reports from the part time student blog.

BusinessWeek article from November 8th

We understand students are concerned about this article and its affect on our own MBAs and the Marshall brand. As has been stated by MGSA.PM representatives on some of our MBA.PM Facebook pages, it’s important to first understand that this article, while factual, was backward-looking and sensationalized. It is indeed true that 23% of Marshall’s full-time class of 2012 was unemployed 3 months after graduation, however, several important pieces of information were not clearly represented in the article. We can all do our part in continuing to represent the Marshall brand well by understanding the situation better. Some important things to note are as follows:

- This article, and the details noted below, addresses the full-time class measurement numbers only.
- The date of this measurement was August 8, 2012. Note that the article was published on November 8, 2012, meaning that the data the article quotes is already 3 months old and that percentage has decreased significantly since then (more on this below in #s 5, 6, & 7).
- In this measurement, there are two groups of students who are pulled out of the base number: those who report that they are entrepreneurs starting their own businesses and those who report they are returning to companies that sponsored their MBA are also pulled out of the base number.
- As of August 8, 2012, 32 people had not reported in to CRC that they had a job. These 32 people are the 23%. That means the base number used here is 139 students. There are usually around 200 students per full-time class, so the “1 in 4” statistic is certainly misconstrued here.
- At some point after August 8, 12 additional students reported in that they have found jobs.
- Since the article was written, 6 additional students have reported that they found employment. CRC is still working to determine when these students found their employment – if it is pre-August 8, that can positively affect our measurement stats.
- Today, there are only 15 people in Class of 2012 that haven’t reported finding a job. This is about 10% of the base number and about 8% of the entire class. You’ll note that the numbers above are about REPORTED jobs. If students don’t report they have a job, they are considered unemployed and this works against Marshall’s measurement number. Thus, if you are a recruiting student and win a job, make sure to report it to the CRC!!
- Marshall’s graduation date is quite early compared to some other universities. It’s also known that some universities push their graduation date later into the summer so that they have more of a cushion for this 3-month employment measurement. Marshall does not do this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I had applied in R1 and got my admit two days back (July 3rd).. In big dilemma... Can anyone tell me when the class starts n if it's feasible to even try for a visa now?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
coolprem wrote:
I had applied in R1 and got my admit two days back (July 3rd).. In big dilemma... Can anyone tell me when the class starts n if it's feasible to even try for a visa now?

Hey, based on my experience in trying to secure my I20 then a visa, the i20 office in usc is very very slow. I know some of my friends get that within a week, but it could take much much longer than that. So if you decided to go for it, just remeber to call the office everyday and state your situation clearly and get i20 on time. If everything goes well, you will have your visa within 2 weeks. The international orientation starts 7.22. Still time, but need hurry
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ynight88 wrote:
coolprem wrote:

Hey, based on my experience in trying to secure my I20 then a visa, the i20 office in usc is very very slow. I know some of my friends get that within a week, but it could take much much longer than that. So if you decided to go for it, just remeber to call the office everyday and state your situation clearly and get i20 on time. If everything goes well, you will have your visa within 2 weeks. The international orientation starts 7.22. Still time, but need hurry

Congrats, coolprem! ynight is correct, International Orientation (required for international students) begins 7/22, followed by general MBA Orientation beginning 7/29 with classes starting on 8/5. I would jump on that visa application ASAP!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Does anyone knows when the new essays for the class of 2016 will be out?
Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72894 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Marshall Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Marshall Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Marshall Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Marshall Forum to dive into all things related to Marshall's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts