Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619058 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Desautels '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Desautels Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mcgillmba wrote:
Hi,
This is Anna from the McGill MBA recruitment team. Our team recommends you not to get external sources' profile pre-assessments as the application process depends not only on your individual profile but also on the pool of applicants you are competing with. Should you wish to know more about the program and the kind of candidates we admit, we encourage you to get in touch directly with either the McGill MBA recruitment team or the McGill MBA Ambassadors. Cheers!

Thank you! Does McGill offer CV evaluation or something like that where prospective applicants can look for the feedback on their McGill MBA potential?
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Schools: Desautels '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Desautels Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Narenn wrote:
mcgillmba wrote:
Hi,
This is Anna from the McGill MBA recruitment team. Our team recommends you not to get external sources' profile pre-assessments as the application process depends not only on your individual profile but also on the pool of applicants you are competing with. Should you wish to know more about the program and the kind of candidates we admit, we encourage you to get in touch directly with either the McGill MBA recruitment team or the McGill MBA Ambassadors. Cheers!

Thank you! Does McGill offer CV evaluation or something like that where prospective applicants can look for the feedback on their McGill MBA potential?

We offer one to ones and direct communication to discuss how to improve your CV and overall profile.
This being said, because of the limited number students we admit, sometimes the margin for selection is very small and the process is very holistic. We give as much importance to all components of the application. To give you an example, last year we refused quite a few candidates with 750+ GMAT scores because the rest of their application was not compelling enough. We are looking for the best all around candidates who embody the values of our university and who have the drive to succeed both individually and as part of a community.
Don't hesitate to contact us at mba.mgmt@mcgill.ca or keum.brochet@mcgill.ca
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
mcgillmba wrote:
We offer one to ones and direct communication to discuss how to improve your CV and overall profile.
This being said, because of the limited number students we admit, sometimes the margin for selection is very small and the process is very holistic. We give as much importance to all components of the application. To give you an example, last year we refused quite a few candidates with 750+ GMAT scores because the rest of their application was not compelling enough. We are looking for the best all around candidates who embody the values of our university and who have the drive to succeed both individually and as part of a community.
Don't hesitate to contact us at mba.mgmt@mcgill.ca or keum.brochet@mcgill.ca

This very well explains that Bschools take holistic approach in evaluating the apps and that applicants should focus on all aspects of their profile/application. A solid GMAT score or stellar stats alone are not sufficient to get you in to a good bschool.

Thank you for a candid reply!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I want to apply for full time MBA in Canada. I am 27 years old.
My profile is as follows

10th - 87%
12th - 70%
B.E (Mechanical) from Mumbai University with 56%. Passed out in 2013. Conversion of score with WES table gives me CGPA above 3 on a 4 point scale.
I have 4.5 years of experience working in Engineering Maintenance and Project management with a MNC in India
Work Ex. positions held
0-1 year - Graduate Apprentice
1-2 year- Management Trainee
2 year to Current - Deputy Manager
I don't have much in terms of extra curricular activities.
Won inter college football and cricket tournaments during my college days.
Currently a member of my organizations Cricket team.
I am appearing for PMP (Project Management) certification course.

If anyone can take a look at my profile and provide me some feedback with respect to where I am, What could be improved and the GMAT score I will need to get in.

Cheers,
Kunal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Kudos
k9unal wrote:

Hi,

I want to apply for a full-time MBA in Canada. I am 27 years old.
My profile is as follows

10th - 87%
12th - 70%
B.E (Mechanical) from Mumbai University with 56%. Passed out in 2013. Conversion of the score with WES table gives me CGPA above 3 on a 4 point scale.
I have 4.5 years of experience working in Engineering Maintenance and Project management with an MNC in India
Work Ex. positions held
0-1 year - Graduate Apprentice
1-2 year- Management Trainee
2 year to Current - Deputy Manager
I don't have much in terms of extracurricular activities.
Won inter-college football and cricket tournaments during my college days.
Currently a member of my organizations Cricket team.
I am appearing for PMP (Project Management) certification course.

If anyone can take a look at my profile and provide me some feedback with respect to where I am, What could be improved and the GMAT score I will need to get in.

Cheers,
Kunal.

Hi k9unal,

I would suggest you plan which industry/function and role would you like to work in Canada. If you look at all the top programs such as Ivey, Schulich, Queens, Rotman, and McGill you will see the average GMAT Score would be around 650+.

With lots of students choosing Canada as one of the option v/s US the profiles that are applying are also quite competitive. This makes these top schools competitive too.
Doing a PMP certification is a good idea. Just make sure you research well on the job opportunities in the kind of role you are looking for. If you are looking at the same/similar industry look at how you would network with them. This research is very important. When you are looking at Canada, do explore the PR option too. This would reduce the investment in Canada as well as chances of you getting a job will work out well too.

Regards,
Shree
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi!
I am planning for a full time MBA in ISB. I am 24.
10th-9.8 (93.1%)
12th-95.8%
BTech (Mechanical) from NIT, Silchar- 9.32(93.2%)
Work Ex- 37 months as on date in Ministry of Defence
Kindly have a look at my profile and let me know the GMAT score I should aim for? Also how may I boost my profile?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi!
I am planning for a full time MBA in ISB. I am 24.
10th-9.8 (93.1%)
12th-95.8%
BTech (Mechanical) from NIT, Silchar- 9.32(93.2%)
Work Ex- 37 months as on date in Ministry of Defence
Kindly have a look at my profile and let me know the GMAT score I should aim for? Also how may I boost my profile?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Katz '22 (II)
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V28
Send PM
Hi,

I'm an indian with an engineering background. I'm 25 and 26 by the time I start the course.
I have a GMAT score of 630.
And undergrad Gpa of 6.5/10
10th - 9 GPA
12th - 89%

Experience:
I have a work experience of 3 years as software developer in an MNC and almost 4 by the time I apply.

Extracurricular:
I have been part of the board of a student organisation in college in which I was an incharge for about 30 people. I have gone for a management internship in a food service management company in Dubai after my 3rd year.
I am a guitariat and a singer and have performed a couple of times in college and after.

I'm planing to pursue MBA in general management. What are my chances of getting into Desautels? Please help

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Background and nationality: Indian-Engineer-Male-25years (age)

Undergrad Information:

Institute: Institute of Technology, Nirma University-Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
GPA: 6.62/10 (First Class) 2018 passout

GMAT: Yet to give. Expected Score: 650 to 680

Work experience: 1 year 8 months in an IT Services firm (200+ Employee) as a Content Writer
Currently helping my father to grow his YouTube channel by doing all the post-production work myself starting from video editing to publishing.

No Community or Charity work

Post-MBA goals - Management Consulting

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know if I am a right fit, and suggest changes, Thanks a lot. :please:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Pakistani, male, 25 years.

GMAT - 600 (Q44, V28, IR 7)

Olevel - 7A*1A
Alevel - 4A*
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering - 3.50 CGPA - National University of Sciences and Technology. Graduated top 15% of the batch. This is the top ranked engineering school in Pakistan.
Active participation in student clubs and organizations, leading a couple of them and holding major positions in arranging key events.

Work Exp - 03 years (as of August 2020) in product management across 2 organizations and several product portfolios.
1st being Dawlance, a local leader in the consumer electronics industry. I was actively involved in several innovative products' launches and the introduction of an entire portfolio altogether. Collaborated with teams in Turkey, China and Pakistan.
The 2nd, and current, organization is samsung electronics. Currently working as a product manager for LED TVs for the country, having previously been the product manager of refrigerator and washing machine. Not a promotion per say, and more of a role change, but could be taken as one if one considers the appointment at the core division.

Social work:
Worked for StreetStore - a charity organization. Assisted them in fundraising and sat up a street store event where clothes were distributed among underprivileged families.

Worked as a writer for Humans of Pakistan for over an year - helping portray a positive image of the society.

Currently a Green Card holder for WWF - a donation membership that works towards improving atmosphere and the needy people associated with it. I'm part of the Air project, where projects are carried out to improve air quality.

Reasons for MBA - At my current career stage, and the path I've chosen, a management degree (read MBA) makes a lot of sense for further growth and career development, and learning - given that I come from a technical background. An MBA would add on to my current experience and better equip me to take on senior positions in strategy/consulting/management.

Post-MBA goals - Move into management consulting. Also open to staying in project management.

I understand that the GMAT score is extremely low so I'd appreciate your feedback on the profile and suggestions towards next steps, if I should go ahead with the application with any realistic chances or I'm better off improving my GMAT, and potentially take a one year gap.

Also, what would be alternate decent schools (UK/Canada)?

MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hassanT,

First, about your concern of a low GMAT, I would say retake the exam if you feel you can enhance your score with a great margin (like 650+) and if a year gap can help improve your profile any better. Else, focus on the other aspects of your apps which, I believe, are rather strong. The adcoms access the career progression of the applicants and how they have contributed towards their respective organisations. Apart from that your values, beliefs and future goals will be taken into account to judge if you are a right fit. So, a low GMAT is not an end of the story (especially considering your diverse background).

I genuinely believe your outstanding work-experience and the ECs together are major highlights of your resume. Your work-experience should bring a plethora of great leadership experiences that you can talk about. You are at a high managerial position in just a span of three years, which actually is a great deal. You should talk about your experience of student clubs and organizations in detail and how that shaped you in a positive way.

I also find your WWF Green Card a very different and interesting achievement. This points out the socially responsible character of yours.

You have English proficiency which most of the colleges of UK/Canada stress upon.

So you see, all this comes together and supersedes your GMAT score. Also, your profile is strong, keeping aside the GMAT score, and I believe Rotman and Ivey in Canada can be good choices for you. Also, there are many top schools waiving GMAT. This can go in your favour if you want to apply to some top-notch schools and can prove your academic potential without a GMAT.

You can see the list of schools who waived GMAT and if you should apply to these schools without GMAT. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call some time this week to discuss your chances in further detail and address your concerns better. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
hassanT wrote:
Pakistani, male, 25 years.

GMAT - 600 (Q44, V28, IR 7)

Olevel - 7A*1A
Alevel - 4A*
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering - 3.50 CGPA - National University of Sciences and Technology. Graduated top 15% of the batch. This is the top ranked engineering school in Pakistan.
Active participation in student clubs and organizations, leading a couple of them and holding major positions in arranging key events.

Work Exp - 03 years (as of August 2020) in product management across 2 organizations and several product portfolios.
1st being Dawlance, a local leader in the consumer electronics industry. I was actively involved in several innovative products' launches and the introduction of an entire portfolio altogether. Collaborated with teams in Turkey, China and Pakistan.
The 2nd, and current, organization is samsung electronics. Currently working as a product manager for LED TVs for the country, having previously been the product manager of refrigerator and washing machine. Not a promotion per say, and more of a role change, but could be taken as one if one considers the appointment at the core division.

Social work:
Worked for StreetStore - a charity organization. Assisted them in fundraising and sat up a street store event where clothes were distributed among underprivileged families.

Worked as a writer for Humans of Pakistan for over an year - helping portray a positive image of the society.

Currently a Green Card holder for WWF - a donation membership that works towards improving atmosphere and the needy people associated with it. I'm part of the Air project, where projects are carried out to improve air quality.

Reasons for MBA - At my current career stage, and the path I've chosen, a management degree (read MBA) makes a lot of sense for further growth and career development, and learning - given that I come from a technical background. An MBA would add on to my current experience and better equip me to take on senior positions in strategy/consulting/management.

Post-MBA goals - Move into management consulting. Also open to staying in project management.

I understand that the GMAT score is extremely low so I'd appreciate your feedback on the profile and suggestions towards next steps, if I should go ahead with the application with any realistic chances or I'm better off improving my GMAT, and potentially take a one year gap.

Also, what would be alternate decent schools (UK/Canada)?

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619058 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: McGill Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Desautels (McGill University) Profile Evaluation
Introducing New Better Profile Evaluations on GMAT Club!

Considering your application to a B-School? The first step in this significant journey is to evaluate your profile to gauge where you stand among the vast pool of applicants. We're excited to introduce a NEW and IMPROVED consolidated list of tools and platforms available on GMAT Club to assist you in this endeavor.