Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619140 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Schools: Sloan '20
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Mike recently won a contest in which he will have the opport [#permalink]
aakash1618 wrote:
Can you please clarify why order does matter here??I solved this problem after solving a problem similar to it,the one where triplets Adam,Bruce and Charlie enter a triathlon.There we needed to find probability that atleast 2 triplets will win a medal.Here we have to find probability of at least two throws going correctly. But still in this problem we are considering order,but not in the triplets problem. Please clarify.

Another way to arrive at this is just to work out the cases. If he has 3 shots and must make two, then he can win if:

HH (He makes the first two shots. Third shot is not needed, he already won.)
NHH (Missed the first, made the second two)
HNH (Made the first and the last)

the probabilities of these three winning scenarios in terms of "p" are:

HH ---> \(p*p\) --------------------> \(p^2\)
NHH ---> \((1-p)*p*p\)--------------> \(p^2(1-p)\)
HNH----> \((1-p)*p*p\)--------------> \(p^2(1-p)\)

Since this is an "OR" case, add the three scenarios together, and do the algebra.

\([p^2] + [p^2(1-p)] + [p^2(1-p)] < p\)

\(p^2 + 2p^2(1-p) < p\)
\(p^2(1 + 2(1-p)) < p\)
\(p^2(3-2p) < p\)
\(p(3-2p) < 1\)
\(2p^2 - 3p + 1 < 0\)
\((p - \frac{1}{2})(p - 1) < 0\)

∴ \(\frac{1}{2} < p < 1\)

And then you know the given information is sufficient if it tells you whether "p" is between \frac{1}{2} and 1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I looked at it as follows:

we're comparing prob of success = p under two scenarios : when mike takes one shot and when mike takes 3 shots

prob of success = p
prob of failure = 1 - p = q

when comparing one attempt with three : value of p in the single shot vs at least one p in the three shots ~ (1 - q^3)

Stmt 1 gives mixed results when we try different values for p in the above sentence ~ p vs (1 - q^3)
Stmt 2 gives us clear results when we try at least 0.6 in p vs (1 - q^3)

Hence, B

criticism is appreciated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Mike recently won a contest in which he will have the opport [#permalink]
ctrlaltdel wrote:
Mike recently won a contest in which he will have the opportunity to shoot free throws in order to win $10,000. In order to win the money Mike can either shoot 1 free throw and make it, or shoot 3 free throws and make at least 2 of them. Mike occasionally makes shots and occasionally misses shots. He knows that his probability of making a single free throw is p, and that this probability doesn't change. Would Mike have a better chance of winning if he chose to attempt 3 free throws?

(1) p < 0.7
(2) p > 0.6

I think my approach is completely out of the box and for those who have not brushed themselves yet with probability problems.

I used logic and solved this in less than a minute.

Question asks Would Mike have a better chance of winning if he chose to attempt 3 free throws? Clearly if we can get a definite Yes or No, we get our answer.

Statement 1
p < 0.7

P could be anything from 0 to 0.699
If its 0, probably to attempt 3 free throws would be a better chance at winning; BUT if its 0.699 then we really don't know - attempting 1 throw or 3 free throws (out of which 2 should hit) would be a better shot at winning?

Statement 2:
p > 0.6
Definitely p has to be minimum 0.61 and maximum 1 : clearly attempting one throw would be a better chance to win because with respect to the occasional throw and miss, mike's probability of hitting the target by attempting one throw is much higher than when he attempts 3 free throws.
Sufficient
B is the answer.

I request Moderators to review my explanation and suggest me if using logic in such questions is ALWAYS useful or a risky approach in the actual GMAT exam?
chetan2u, VeritasKarishma, Bunuel, gmatbusters, amanvermagmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Mike recently won a contest in which he will have the opportunity to shoot free throws in order to win $10,000. In order to win the money Mike can either shoot 1 free throw and make it, or shoot 3 free throws and make at least 2 of them. Mike occasionally makes shots and occasionally misses shots. He knows that his probability of making a single free throw is p, and that this probability doesn't change. Would Mike have a better chance of winning if he chose to attempt 3 free throws?

The probability of winning for 1 throw = p;
The probability of winning for 3 throw = \(C^2_3p^2(1-p)+p^3=3p^3(1-p)+p^3=p^2(3-2p)\).

The question asks: is \(p^2(3-2p)>p\)? --> is \(p(3-2p)>1\)? --> is \(2p^2-3p+1<0\)? is \((p-\frac{1}{2})(p-1)<0\)? --> is \(\frac{1}{2}<p<1\)?

(1) p < 0.7. Not sufficient.

(2) p > 0.6. Sufficient.

Dear Banuel

I interpreted this - "Mike occasionally makes shots and occasionally misses shots." as the probability of hitting and missing being 50-50. Is that wrong? I got the ans nevertheless as .6 is greater than the overall probability of hitting in exactly 2 shots.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Answer; B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Bunuel I solved it in 3:30 with the same method, how do I solve it in 2:30?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts