Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 04:13 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 04:13
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 680  Q48  V35 GMAT 3: 710  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 2.66
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling ISB 2012 Applicants - Let's Roll [#permalink]
bblast wrote:
Blonde wrote:
Short listed for interview... :)

when nd where ?

8 January, At ISB Campus, Hyderabad.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I am done with the interview today. It didn't go well. Here is a detailed account of it.

First, I was asked to write an essay of 100 words about the word "Astounding". I was not sure about its correct meaning. I always understood the word as "intriguing". I mentioned it and completed the essay. After about one hour or so, I was called in for the interview.

The interview panel consisted of 3 alumni. Each of them is either in his late twenties or early thirties. One guy was loud and bossy. Other guy was a fat geek. He seemed to be an arts guy and he asked me a couple of questions about books. The third guy looked to be a silent guy who prefers to listen more than to talk. The loud and bossy guy welcomed me and introduced the rest to me. But, I forgot their names as soon as the interview started.

LBG: Where do you stay? (A good question to comfort the applicant)
Answer: XXXX (The city name)

LBG: You are interested in advertising. Well. Then, why do you want to pursue an MBA in marketing?
Answer: XXXX (It was a blow to me. I did expect this question, but not as the first one. I was still nervous and the context also was not yet set for this question. I answered something what I prepared and, with no context, even I was not convinced with my answer.)

LBG: Do you know that ABC institute offers an MBA in advertising? It suits your interests more than a marketing degree from ISB.
Answer: XXXX (I didn't know that. Even if they offer such a degree, as a person who is graduated from one of the best universities of India, I don't want to pursue a post graduate degree from a nameless institute. I didn't say that. I said something about brand management and how it controls advertising. My confidence started diminishing.)

LBG: What are the responsibilities of a brand manager?
Answer: XXXX (I recited something I read from a web site. I don’t know anyone who is a brand manager. So my answer is all theoretical. I would have answered the question better, if it was asked when I am with good spirits.)

Now, the fat geek asked me a question.

FG: You wrote that you admire Orwell. Is that George Orwell?
Answer: XXXX (Yes. I put up some traps in my application, so that interviewers can’t resist from asking me some predictably unpredictable questions. One such traps is the mention of George Orwell, Stanley Kubrick, Sam Peckinpah, Vladimir Nabokov etc. in my essays.)

FG: Why do you like him? Which books of him did you read?
Answer: XXXX (I answered this one properly. But I would have cracked this question, had I been with a little more confidence.)

FG: Do you know that there was a famous computer ad with the concept of 1984?
Answer: No. (God! How come I don’t know this?)

FG: You mentioned that you are planning to write a story of a failed superhero. Who is he? Why will he fail? Will he die in the climax?)
Answer: XXXX (I am awesome. This is one more trap and I am sure that I got 100 out of 100 for my answer.)

Now the third guy took charge.

TG: You have done your graduation from a great university, but still opted for a job in PQRS Company. Why?
Answer: XXXX (A valid one.)

TG: What is the best design that you ever created? Why is it the best? (I mentioned in my resume that I designed posters and logos for some startup companies and cover pages for magazines.)
Answer: XXXX (I know that they would ask me this question and I answered it perfectly.)

Now LBG came in between.

LBG: How did you design that?
Answer: XXXX

LBG: Explain us step by step, how you created that cover page using the tool that you mentioned.
Answer: XXXX (Disgraceful. I hate this question. I hate it when people don’t believe me and ask me some silly questions to make sure that I am telling the truth. I am helpless. I answered it.)

Now, it was TG again.

TG: You mentioned that you were too disappointed to accept the 2nd prize in the JKL competition and you didn’t even attend the presentation ceremony. Why?
Answer: XXXX (I gave the valid answer. They weren’t convinced. So, I had to give them all the reasons why I did so, one by one. They started laughing when I gave a particular reason, especially, the Fat guy. He was laughing throughout the rest of the interview. He almost fell off from the chair laughing when I left the room. I didn’t understand why it was so funny?)

TG: So, will you not attend the presentation ceremony in the future, if you get a 2nd prize in any competition?
Answer: XXXX (It’s a heart touching answer. I am sure I got more than 200 out of 100.)

TG: So, Do you regret such incidents in your past?
Answer: No. I learn from them. (I love punch dialogues in movies. I can’t help delivering some on my own.)

Now, FG took control.

FG: You did graduation in IJK discipline, joined in a software job and wanted to pursue a career in advertising. How can we be sure that you will not change your mind again?
Answer: XXXX (It’s a good and honest answer. Any Indian graduate can identify himself with me in this answer.)

Our LBG came again.

LBG: But still… I am not convinced with why you prefer an MBA in marketing to an MBA in advertising. (I am sure that he was convinced that I am creative. This question didn’t sound as fierce as LBG’s previous questions.)
Answer: XXXX (This is better. Far better than the first answer. I narrated him an incident and told him about my perception of brand management. I told him how factors other than creativity influence advertising and why I am interested in learning them. I sounded reasonable. I, at least, convinced myself. Even he looked pleased a bit.)

LBG: What are your comments on present status of advertising industry in India? (The question was unclear. He repeated the same thing when I asked for more details about the question.)
Answer: XXXX (The answer is as unclear as the question. It makes sense but, since I didn’t know what he meant, I don’t know how it is received.)

LBG: Name a few famous ad makers?
Answer: XXXX (I said Ogilvey and Mather. But he wanted other names. I don’t know anyone else.)

LBG: We are done. You can ask us questions, if you have any?
Answer i.e. my Question: XXXX (I framed it when I was writing the “astounding” essay.)
LBG: Excellent question. Great question… XXXX (I already knew the answer. I just asked it for sake of asking.)

I thanked them and left the room. I heard the fat guy laughing.

After the first 2 questions, I thought that the interview would not last more than 15 minutes. But it went on for about one hour. I don’t think I will get through the interview, but it is a very good experience and it showed me the weak spots in my application that I should work on. I am sure that this experience will be greatly helpful in preparing my answers for other MBA interviews.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
loved the way u narrated the fat geek - FG :kisswink
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2242 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Was interviewed on 14th.. Reached Hyderabad one day early to visit campus and met a friend who is a current student. Was very impressed by the greenery and calm at ISB campus.. visited the rec centre etc, came back to hotel, ordered room service and relaxed.

Next day, my interview was slated to begin at 10.20 am.. Reported at 9 am and after some waiting, was given to write the short essay. My topic was "Sympathy". I was glad that I was not given topics such as "Tom Ting" and all that a batch had got a few days ago. There is still no concrete word on the purpose of the essay-- some say its to check spontaneity, others say its for the adcom to compare the writing style of the short essay and the application essay to see whether its the same person who's written both. I had that in mind and I kinda used similar sentence structures in the short essay as I had in my app essays..

Was called in for interview at 10.30. The panel consisted of two alums and ISB admissions director. Alum on the left started the conversation by asking me when I reached Hyderabad, which was kinda nice as it helped me relax a bit. Then they asked me about my organization structure and my role in the organization. Thereafter, there were questions mostly from my profile and whatever I had written in the essays. I was given a case study on Market Research. I think I could've done better here as I did not ask any questions on their expectations from the research- new market? new product? etc..

Then , standard questions- "Why MBA". I elaborated more on my short goals and how ISB will help fill in the gaps. I could not elaborate much on my long term goals though..

Thats it-- lasted around 35-40 minutes. Pretty standard questions. There was no grilling. Although there was a bit of cross questioning but I believe they just wanted to dig down deep into my profile. The panel did not give out any signs as to whether they liked my answers or not. So, I guess only time will tell if they did. Although I could not pitch in a couple of points that I wanted to, overall, I think the interview did not go very bad.

A couple of takeaways-- 1. Be extremely thorough with your profile, including dates and timelines. 2. Be confident and practice your answers to the standard questions beforehand. 3. Be ready to justify your career goals and ISBs role in it, especially if you plan to switch industries after your MBA.

Feel free to pm me if you want to know other specific details..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello everyone! Are there any international students here applying to the ISB who have had any news/interview calls/acceptances? Please share your experiences, I am an int'l student, really want to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2242 [0]
Send PM
Can you share a little bit more on your background? Are you an Indian passport holder? R2 Interview calls for Indian applicants living outside India is in full swing. I'm not too sure about foreign passport holders..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
Can you share a little bit more on your background? Are you an Indian passport holder? R2 Interview calls for Indian applicants living outside India is in full swing. I'm not too sure about foreign passport holders..

hey, i'm a foreign passport holder applying to ISB. International students have a rolling deadline until Feb 1st, but can submit anytime before and their app would still be looked at before that deadline. Just wondering if any international students have heard back and if they can share their experience. I submitted earlier this week so there's still some time before I hear back.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi mba7hopeful, I'm also a foreign passport holder. I was interviewed a few days ago. Am waiting on the admittance decision now...

mba7hopeful wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:

hey, i'm a foreign passport holder applying to ISB. International students have a rolling deadline until Feb 1st, but can submit anytime before and their app would still be looked at before that deadline. Just wondering if any international students have heard back and if they can share their experience. I submitted earlier this week so there's still some time before I hear back.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Ding Here!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
goldy wrote:
Ding Here!
Bummer! Indian app or foreign passport holder?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
goldy wrote:
Ding Here!

I presume you were dinged from R1. R2 results will be out in 15 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any news? Anyone?

gmatpapa wrote:
goldy wrote:
Ding Here!

I presume you were dinged from R1. R2 results will be out in 15 minutes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Finally, it's official. I dinged.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got admission offer for Mohali. No scholarship info attached, so I guess that means they have none to offer me??

(I'm an intl. (foreign passport holder) candidate.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dinged.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got the admission offer for Hyderabad. We need to accept the offer by paying ~ 4.5k USD by March 1st. That is too early - before any of the US schools release their Rd2 decisions. Does anyone know if we can push the acceptance date back?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats to everyone who got an offer. I got one too :D (int'l - foreign pp holder)

Even I haven't seen any info about scholarship - might email/call them to find out about that.

Hboo - I suggest calling them about extending that 1st march deadline for payment. Don't know how strict they are about that.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6954 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts