Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 00:59 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hey everyone,

Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay near Ross? I am going up for the consortium day interview on February 17th!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
thugly921 wrote:
mooze wrote:

Seriously PTK,..no offense but your post is like someone trying to sell coffins at a hospital trauma unit.

HAHAHA!

:lol: :lol:

Got done with my Interview last Saturday. Interesting conversation. Good luck to others who have their interviews scheduled.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
mohit11 wrote:
thugly921 wrote:
mooze wrote:

Seriously PTK,..no offense but your post is like someone trying to sell coffins at a hospital trauma unit.

HAHAHA!

:lol: :lol:

Got done with my Interview last Saturday. Interesting conversation. Good luck to others who have their interviews scheduled.

Any words of advice ..I have my i/v on Friday..and its the first one :) ..so I'm a bundle of nerves right now
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
dylanc wrote:
Any words of advice ..I have my i/v on Friday..and its the first one :) ..so I'm a bundle of nerves right now

Had mine on Sunday,...I feel you. My Ross interview was my first school initiated interview (I interviewed at Tuck),..man I was nervous. Just be yourself,...i know thats probably not helpful,...but its just a conversation. You probably know exactly what questions will be asked if you've done even a little bit of research,....believe me,..its no different from what you've read. Walk through Resume, perhaps probing questions as you go through,..then why mba? why ross? etc etc. I didn't get any questions about extracurriculars (I was asked about this at Tuck),...my interviewer was a fairly recent graduate (10').

If I were you I would go through the resume and try to anticipate what probing questions they make have,..and try to rehearse some good responses. Maybe give your resume to a friend and ask them to think of what an adcom might want elaboration on. I'm sure you'll be fine.

As for my interview,...I didn't blow it out of the water,...but I didn't embarass myself either. I think I did a good job of showing enthusiasm for Ross and explaining why I want to go to Ross. But,..I've also never been good at judging how well I do in interviews. Some people know whether they've bombed or not,...i don't think I bombed,...but i'm hoping that I did just enough to squeak in considering Ross' generous acceptance rate of interviewed applicants.

FInally.....my opinion,..and others may disagree,....the interview is basically to get a feel for how excited you are about the program. They've already determined that you're academically good enough to attend (thats why they invited you to interview),..the interview process is to assemble a class that fits in the Ross culture. So do your best to convey a "fit"...whatever that means for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
mooze wrote:
dylanc wrote:

Had mine on Sunday,...I feel you. My Ross interview was my first school initiated interview (I interviewed at Tuck),..man I was nervous. Just be yourself,...i know thats probably not helpful,...but its just a conversation. You probably know exactly what questions will be asked if you've done even a little bit of research,....believe me,..its no different from what you've read. Walk through Resume, perhaps probing questions as you go through,..then why mba? why ross? etc etc. I didn't get any questions about extracurriculars (I was asked about this at Tuck),...my interviewer was a fairly recent graduate (10').

If I were you I would go through the resume and try to anticipate what probing questions they make have,..and try to rehearse some good responses. Maybe give your resume to a friend and ask them to think of what an adcom might want elaboration on. I'm sure you'll be fine.

As for my interview,...I didn't blow it out of the water,...but I didn't embarass myself either. I think I did a good job of showing enthusiasm for Ross and explaining why I want to go to Ross. But,..I've also never been good at judging how well I do in interviews. Some people know whether they've bombed or not,...i don't think I bombed,...but i'm hoping that I did just enough to squeak in considering Ross' generous acceptance rate of interviewed applicants.

FInally.....my opinion,..and others may disagree,....the interview is basically to get a feel for how excited you are about the program. They've already determined that you're academically good enough to attend (thats why they invited you to interview),..the interview process is to assemble a class that fits in the Ross culture. So do your best to convey a "fit"...whatever that means for you.

I interviewed in R1.

My interviewer flat out told me "If you are being invited to interview, you are qualified, we just want to see if you would be someone we would want to hang out with for the next 2 years."

I also thought I bombed my interview but was admitted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hate to be negative but I'm a bit tired of hearing "you should just be yourself". Sure, maybe to a degree, but i'd rather put my best foot forward and be on my a-game for the entire interview. I'm a laid back guy.. probably too laid back and I know it doesn't come across well in an interview. Maybe some people have the personality, demenour, etc that just being yourself works. For others I don't believe this is the best strategy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
afyl128 wrote:
Hate to be negative but I'm a bit tired of hearing "you should just be yourself". Sure, maybe to a degree, but i'd rather put my best foot forward and be on my a-game for the entire interview. I'm a laid back guy.. probably too laid back and I know it doesn't come across well in an interview. Maybe some people have the personality, demenour, etc that just being yourself works. For others I don't believe this is the best strategy.

Putting your best foot forward and being yourself are not mutually exclusive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.47
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Had my interview on-campus interview yesterday. Was pretty laid back. I had a 2Y student with the first half of the interview dedicated to the standard walk me through your resume, why an MBA, why Ross. Other questions I received were: tell me about a time you were creative?, tell me about a team experience? tell me about a team experience that didnt go well? From my answers I was asked additional questions. The whole interview with questions from me took 45 mins although I think 30 is the normal time frame.

All in all a pretty standard interview. Hope everyone else still to interview the best of luck!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
tfincham86 wrote:
I interviewed in R1.

My interviewer flat out told me "If you are being invited to interview, you are qualified, we just want to see if you would be someone we would want to hang out with for the next 2 years."

Interestingly, my interviewer told me that I have an impressive story and that I would fit in perfectly at Ross, but I was still only waitlisted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
threestripes wrote:
tfincham86 wrote:
I interviewed in R1.

Interestingly, my interviewer told me that I have an impressive story and that I would fit in perfectly at Ross, but I was still only waitlisted.

Certainly lends credence to the theory that interviews can only hurt, not help. If you mess up, you're out,..if you do ok,..then decision is made due to other aspects of the app. Not sure if i believe this, but you never know.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
well wow i slacked for a few days and just realized that London is not an option for an off campus interview. They have options for the remotest of the cities but not for London thats kind of surprising. And as it stands we Indians need a Visa even to get out of out own city in India and not enough time for getting a visa to Paris or Germany!!! I guess will have to go for a Skype interview. Just wondering how negative will this be considered?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GS18 wrote:
well wow i slacked for a few days and just realized that London is not an option for an off campus interview. They have options for the remotest of the cities but not for London thats kind of surprising. And as it stands we Indians need a Visa even to get out of out own city in India and not enough time for getting a visa to Paris or Germany!!! I guess will have to go for a Skype interview. Just wondering how negative will this be considered?

You mention in your interview the problem of not being able to visit because of visa issues, maybe in the question answer session , something like :
"I really want to know what the atmosphere at Ross is like, I really wished I could have visited, but I could not because of ..."

just a thought.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
dylanc wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. My interviwer told me that the fact that I was called for an interview means that I have put forward a strong application and interview is just another step towards knowing me better

Tips:
1. Research the interviewer - his background, his choices etc. For eg. I knew my interviewer's entire career - knowing the choices he made put me at ease.

2. Reach early: I went to the coffee shop and waited for a while and absorbed the surroundings..

3. Know your story and motivation behind your choices. My interviewer probed on reasons for each of my career/community involvement choices. He also asked about all the people who influenced my character

4. Don't sweat over the petty things : I spilled some coffee on myself, the interviewer handed me a tissue :)

5. Show em you know em: know the program inside out. Don't be afraid to ask the interviewer specific queries.

6. Do your best and forget about it: your part of the story ends after the interview. That should be motivation enough. The application process is exhausting. I was just glad one school was off my list :)

Good luck. I know you'll be awesome

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
Did any of the R1 waitlisted candidates submitted an update?? the limit is 300 words but if i write in the standard letter format that would take up half the word count. Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
i can't believe nobody's posted soojin's blog post yet...! sound familiar? :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SonyRemote wrote:
.. I am, too. But I'm curious why she didn't even call me for an interview. I'd like to know why? Too few people have way too much power -- this has to change. GMAT 780/ GPA 3.88 (MIT) ... I atleast deserved a f****** call.

I think she is referring to this post here..Any clarifications buddy?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
GS18 wrote:

A lot of internationals will not travel for the same reasons you have mentioned, however, a few will. Those few will have an advantage considering everything else equal.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  42   43   44   45   46   47   48  ...  85   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts