Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:51 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
This was posted by one of the HKUST representative:

Quote:
"2. Yes, we may still send out some interview invites on Feb 20. But under normal circumstances, majority of the applicants will know whether they are shortlisted for interview before that day."

So there is little hope for those still waiting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
got my invite 11 minutes back-- Finally!

Thanks all and Aviroop for the updates and help.

Also, I do not have a top profile. So, my chances are touch and go-
I work in Shanghai, so going to HK for me is a $400 trip. Do you guys think that going all the way for the interview is a good idea?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on the invite. You do not have to go to HKUST for an in-person interview to score brownie points. If you have not visited the campus before, then its a good idea but just for the interview it makes no difference.

I do not know your whole profile, but given the fact that you are an Indian applicant and working in Shanghai, you already have a different profile from other Indian applicants and that should help you. Do emphasize on your experience in Shanghai, your Chinese language skills and your post mba plans in the interview. Definitely stress upon your love for HKUST and why you chose the school.

Feel free to pm me for any further details.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi!
Just got an interview notification yesterday, still don't have the date but they say around end of february or begining of march

Good luck to all others for today !

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
shanghaiedflip wrote:
True the emphasis that the FT rankings place on salary is certainly a hot topic for a lot of people, as is the PPP factor. But on the flip side, many people also place high emphasis on alumni WAS as part of their decision making process. Guess it depends what you’re looking to find out from the ranking.

Honestly, I wouldn't look at salary as a key criteria in ranking.
[*] Taxation is different from country to country (in Hong Kong, you only need to earn around 70-80% of a US Metro City salary to have comparative living standards and cash in hand)
[*] If you're chasing salary, then you will lose the job to people who are passionate about the role
[*] Rankings that have salary increase as a factor are ready to be gamed by admitting only students on lower salaries.. this also affects the power of the network. Generally speaking, higher earning admits are more likely to have more experience and to be better networked providing everyone with more opportunity.

shanghaiedflip wrote:
With regards to the “mistake” I don’t believe that what the FT did previously, (i.e. classifying people from Hong Kong and mainland China as different for diversity purposes) was a “mistake”. While there is common cultural history, there are enough stark differences (e.g. political, cultural) between people from Hong Kong and people from China, that it seems quite inaccurate to consider them as the same when measuring diversity.

In fact many people who have lived in both Hong Kong and Shanghai believe that there are still clear differences between the city, culture, politics, and people. Given that Shanghai is arguably the most westernized city in the mainland, there would be even more differences if you compare Hong Kong to the mainland as a whole, despite the fact that technically the two are the same country.

yes they are very different, in fact there is an anti-mainland 'backlash' happening in Hong Kong. See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_2012 ... ertisement
This has a lot to do with cultural differences, and partly xenophobia.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
congrats to all those who got calls....
hope you guys make it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rajivvaryani wrote:
Hey VGR - Even i am R1 applicant..when was ur intw, mine was on 26th Jan, am also awaiting results..

so did u make it?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
vgr wrote:
rajivvaryani wrote:
Hey VGR - Even i am R1 applicant..when was ur intw, mine was on 26th Jan, am also awaiting results..

so did u make it?

What's the usual TAT for decisions after the interview's done? A month? Or are all decisions announced on d-day?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rasta wrote:
vgr wrote:
rajivvaryani wrote:

so did u make it?

What's the usual TAT for decisions after the interview's done? A month? Or are all decisions announced on d-day?

Most of the people who got in seemed to hear back from the adcom within a week... I got my ding a little later though on the 10th of Feb which was almost about a month after my interview :(
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
vgr wrote:
Most of the people who got in seemed to hear back from the adcom within a week... I got my ding a little later though on the 10th of Feb which was almost about a month after my interview :(

Hmm... no further news from any other R1 applicants. The R2 decision deadline is fast approaching.

Btw, vgr, what plans now? I see you're waitlisted at Erasmus. Is a re-app to HKUST on your mind, or are looking for other options this season?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rasta wrote:
Hmm... no further news from any other R1 applicants. The R2 decision deadline is fast approaching.

Btw, vgr, what plans now? I see you're waitlisted at Erasmus. Is a re-app to HKUST on your mind, or are looking for other options this season?

well it's pretty messed up right now.... I'm not sure if re-applying to HK-UST would work, as well they didn't exactly tell me what they didn't like about me :P
I applied to NTU in their 2nd round and am waiting to hear back from them.
Apart from that, I've started exploring alternatives to the MBA which would possibly get me right to the area I want to specialize in while saving me a ****-load of cash :P
How about you rasta? what've u been upto?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
 Q48  V30 GMAT 2: 730  Q49  V40
Send PM
Can anybody suggest me how good/helpful is HKUST program for a career in IT post mba?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
prakhag wrote:
Can anybody suggest me how good/helpful is HKUST program for a career in IT post mba?

well it'd be pretty tough to figure out w/o knowing what you've been doing! :)
Being the best B-school in Asia, it should typically be able to help improve your managerial/leadership skills and knowledge on a broad range of topic. You could alternatively learn all of this with experience but it may take a lot longer... :P
So yea what you need to do is find out what u need, and compare it with what they have to offer by going through their curriculum, events, etc...
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
vgr wrote:
rasta wrote:

well it's pretty messed up right now.... I'm not sure if re-applying to HK-UST would work, as well they didn't exactly tell me what they didn't like about me :P
I applied to NTU in their 2nd round and am waiting to hear back from them.
Apart from that, I've started exploring alternatives to the MBA which would possibly get me right to the area I want to specialize in while saving me a ****-load of cash :P
How about you rasta? what've u been upto?

VGR - you should re-apply. I think given that you got interviewed/waitlisted at schools, this means that your profile is definitely interesting and warrants the attention of school adcom but probably needs a bit of more oomph to push past the should i admit the candidate dilemma.

Maybe a review of your essays, or a better picking of schools can help you. I would be glad to help you out.

I have been in such a similar situation when I first started applying to schools. I took a step back, re-examined what I was doing wrong, what I wanted out of life and then re-applied again. Often we do MBA applications as a knee-jerk exercise rather than a cold calculating analysis. :P

All the best ....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
prakhag wrote:

ditto with VGR. The school is very good, but then again HK is not renowned for being known as an IT hub.

It all depends on what you get out of the program and how good you are at building your own career.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
 Q48  V30 GMAT 2: 730  Q49  V40
Send PM
vgr wrote:
prakhag wrote:

well it'd be pretty tough to figure out w/o knowing what you've been doing! :)
Being the best B-school in Asia, it should typically be able to help improve your managerial/leadership skills and knowledge on a broad range of topic. You could alternatively learn all of this with experience but it may take a lot longer... :P
So yea what you need to do is find out what u need, and compare it with what they have to offer by going through their curriculum, events, etc...

Thanks for your reply. I've been into IT for 6.5 years and currently working as a team lead. I'm looking for general management and strategy roles in IT post my mba. I had asked my earlier question 'cz I do not see a lot of activities going on, atleast on HKUST website, with IT being the focal point. That's ofcourse understandable 'cz HK being a financial hub, HKUST is more finance and consulting dominated. I did not even see any elective listed in HKUST website with specialization in IT.

Would be great if I can get more information on mba & post mba opportunities in IT (in-line with my aspirations).
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
prakhag - get in touch with togafoot a member of this forum, and an alumni of HKUST, or the much loved kryzak who is now in the IT sector and an alumni of Haas. Both can guide you in the right direction about post mba plans in IT.

On a separate note - I dont think I have seen IT specialization courses in any B school curriculum. There are however courses about strategy/management addressing the tech sector in general.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts