Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
s1000 wrote:
hi i'm applying to hkust mba 2012 entry. has anyone submitted their app and heard back from the admissions office?

I think it'll take a month for them to get back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
reading last year's thread makes me nervous. i guess some ppl got rejected without interviews.
anyway, so, anyone who has a chance of being admitted has to be interviewed right?
what's the chances once you get an interview offer?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
s1000 wrote:
reading last year's thread makes me nervous. i guess some ppl got rejected without interviews.
anyway, so, anyone who has a chance of being admitted has to be interviewed right?
what's the chances once you get an interview offer?

well that's how it should be. The chances should always depend on he number of applicants in the round For example, if they are to choose 100 people in the first round and only 200 people apply, then they would most probably interview everyone. On the other hand, if there were 20,000 people applying they wouldn't have the luxury of interviewing everyone, they would have to do a preliminary evaluation of profiles. So yea it's always relative. Which are the other schools that you have applied to?

P.S. - Add your name to the roll call above if you haven't already. The showcase would just be a lot more accurate if more people added their profile to it. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: INSEAD '14
Send PM
hi all,

RI deadline is over and not much much activity on the thread - cannot see more than 20 applicants

has applications dropped down ........or people are just not adding in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
My guess is there's a fair number of people not adding in. I'm a current student at HKUST but was a bit of a lurker when I was applying last year. Once I got to school I met a number of people who used this forum as reference but didn't really post or even register :P

Anyways, currently going through my first semester at HKUST and would be happy to give feedback and info to any who need it :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi there - great to see a current student - have sent you a PM with my query
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
vgr wrote:
smartfish wrote:
Hi, 2012 HKUST applicants!

thanks BB for initiating the thread! I am the current first year student for the HKUST MBA. The MBA life here are both challenging and fun!! I would like to share my experience on application or MBA program here if you have questions about it.

vgr, good luck for your application :-)

Hey Smartfish. Thanks for the luck. HKUST sure does look like an awesome place to be from the pics i've seen!
It would be great if you could share your interview experience. That apart, have you applied for any scholarships or gotten an internship?
I've never been to China before..... but I guess learning mandarin or Cantonese would be pretty high on my list of challenges when I get there :)
So what are the other challenges that you face currently?

Hi, Vgr,

In my application year, HKUST have two rounds of interviews. The first one was interviewed by AO about your background and career goal. The second one was interviewed by the Alumini Development Officer focused on your motivation and self awareness of your strengths/weakness, leadership style etc. Personally, I think the interviewer were nice and engaged the interviewee very well. As an interviewee, you need to clearly deliver why you want an MBA at this career stage, what do you want to learn from an MBA and how you can contribute to the MBA community.

HKUST have three kinds of scholarship, merit-based, need based and other special scholarships. For 2012, the school is offering more scholarship opportunities with higher amount for the students. I think you can check the detail on the program website.

Yes, mandarin is definitely important if you want to work in mainland China! The school offers mandarin learning course for non-mandarin speakers, but you need to be good at time management:-). So, if you are thinking of working in China in future, start mandarin now!

We are still now looking for internship. For this period from Sep to Dec, most of the recruitment or enrichment talks are from the finance industry and some from industry, such as Apple, Exxon Mobile, GE etc. More from industry will come next spring.

Well, the main challenge for me is time management. Academically, we have average 4 cases to finish every week. For example, next week we will have three assignment projects and a mid term exam to do! For me, the quantitative course such as corporate finance is tough due to my literature background. But on the other hand, since we do projects based on groups, it is an interesting learning experience to work together with teammates from different backgrounds and mindsets. Besides academic, we will be invited by a lot of club activities, career/networking events, you really need to have a very efficient time management skill and have the priority, otherwise you will probably end up with sleeping after 3:00am every day :D

Hope that helps!

Smartfish
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hey smartfish,

thanks very much for sharing your insight.

can u share your insight on placements as well, your special comments on career services of hkust wil be a great help because i am getting too many different feedbacks

thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Does anyone have any information on the types of questions the admissions council will ask during the interviews?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST (M)
Send PM
Kudos
ignus99,

Hope all is well.

I am a current student in my first year at HKUST. The interview is a discussion around your background and future career goals. There is one round of interviews, either by Skype or in person here in HK, where you will likely speak with a professor/dean and admissions.

The questions to be expected are 'Why an MBA?', 'What are your goals after the MBA?' 'How does the MBA help you with achieving your career goals?'. All three of these questions are important not just for the interview, but for you to rationalize for yourself why you are getting an MBA.

Last bit of advice is know the school and what it represents, namely global vision, leadership and a Asia/China focus.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have anymore question about the process or the school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi mstansfield,

Thanks very much for your insight.

Do you have any idea as to how many application do they receive in the first round of application ? i can understand that no official or accurate figs can be found out, but if you could give a rough idea of no of students applying to HKUST in the first round

Second, i read somewhere that 3:10 is the selection to no of applicants ratio, how true it could be ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey friends,

I was wondering if any one got an intimation for interview call or not ?

I was going through the thread of 2011-12 hkust, i noticed that a few got interview call within a span of 10 days from the date of application deadline :)

So, i thought let me ask if any of you have got any intimation for the same

thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HKUST (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V33
GPA: 3.68
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi versatile,

I am also a HKUST MBA hopeful.

I received my interview invitation on the 22nd, and I applied on the 15th.

I must admit that I am pretty nervous right now... I will be preparing my interview and my financial aid application this weekend.

Wish me luck :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Happy to hear this man :).... Congratulations :)

Wish you all the very best

I am sure that you will sail through this journey.

any idea by what time to they intimate for interview during 1st round of interviews ?

anyone else who has got interview intimation or who has not received interview intimation ?

Ian,

So when is your interview scheduled, seems these guys are fast , interview intimation in 7 days only is impressive :)

Keep on sharing for the benefit of others who are still not lucky as you are :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I also have an interview too. I'm really worried about it!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ian, when's yours?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey ......Ian & s1000........good going..... I guess ur the first 2 to get interview calls

please share your profile

Work exp :
Industry :
should given an indication to other hopefuls .........
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts