Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
shanghaiedflip wrote:
Hi OptimusPrimea1, if you're referring to poets and quants, they've actually corrected their story.

Corrected version:
"The Financial Times also made a point in noting that Hong Kong’s University of Science and Technology Business School fell four places to tenth in the new ranking, and the newspaper said the decline is ”partly explained by a reclassification of students, faculty members and board members from China, previously counted as international by the FT for schools based in Hong Kong.” Those factors are among 20 different data points in the methodology used by the FT to rank MBA programs."

Old version:
“The Financial Times also conceded that an error in last year’s ranking allowed Hong Kong’s University of Science and Technology Business School to place sixth in 2011. The school fell four places to tenth in the new ranking and the newspaper said that the decline is ”partly explained by a reclassification of students, faculty members and board members from China, previously counted as international by the FT for schools based in Hong Kong.” Those factors are among 20 different data points in the methodology used by the FT to rank MBA programs.” (Wrong facts-See page 35 of the FT Business Education insert)

Basically, in all of its prior rankings, the FT considered China students in Hong Kong schools as international. However for the 2012 ranking, they made a change to the classification and no longer count China students as international for schools based in Hong Kong.

Hey, I probably meant the same thing:-) I believe HKUST is a great college..Only if FT can get its act together and give us correct view of MBA rankings instead of making such mistakes..Basing their ranking (40%) on WAS is a dangerously wrong thing to do for an MBA college..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Finally submitted my deposit....that was a hard decision! 1/26 as the deadline for a R2 applicant like myself was too soon. I wish I had more time.....

Best of luck to everyone.

I'll see you in HK!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Witchiegrlie wrote:
Finally submitted my deposit....that was a hard decision! 1/26 as the deadline for a R2 applicant like myself was too soon. I wish I had more time.....

Best of luck to everyone.

I'll see you in HK!

Great..Congrats..Can you share your experience please..From GMAT to interview..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Send PM
I decided to apply in the beginning of December, submitted on 12/15, got the interview on 1/5, and admitted on 1/9. It was a very fast process! The experience overall was very good and the adcom was very fast in getting back to me in terms of questions. The interview was very pleasant and the whole team was very nice. They mainly asked about why HK UST and some questions relating to my essays.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Witchiegrlie wrote:
I decided to apply in the beginning of December, submitted on 12/15, got the interview on 1/5, and admitted on 1/9. It was a very fast process! The experience overall was very good and the adcom was very fast in getting back to me in terms of questions. The interview was very pleasant and the whole team was very nice. They mainly asked about why HK UST and some questions relating to my essays.

Your profile, if you do not mind sharing..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did any of the R1 applicants get an invite in the last week before the cut-off for the round?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My application status has now changed to "Post-interview Review".

To those already admitted, did this happen to you as well? How long after did you receive the result?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hugebananaballs wrote:

To those already admitted, did this happen to you as well? How long after did you receive the result?

Thanks!

Great!!When were you interviewed?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
karansingh22 wrote:
Did any of the R1 applicants get an invite in the last week before the cut-off for the round?

I think 2 R1 candidates got an invite in the last week before cut-off. Both are here on this forum.
Director
Director
Send PM
hugebananaballs wrote:

Thanks!

Yes it did. I got my result 9 days after my interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
karansingh22 wrote:

I think 2 R1 candidates got an invite in the last week before cut-off. Both are here on this forum.

Do you mean R1 candidates got an invite in the R2 round??Correct me if I am wrong..
Director
Director
Send PM
R1 candidates that I know of got interview invites before the cut-off date of 13th January. So yes, R1 candidates got invites in R2 round.

This is simply because R1 deadlines for interview invites was 13th Jan and R2 deadlines for submitting application was 15th December 2011. So its highly likely that some R2 candidates got interview calls and even admits while R1 candidate profiles were being evaluated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
hugebananaballs wrote:

Thanks!

Yes it did. I got my result 9 days after my interview.

Thanks for the reply, aviroop. Did your status change immediately after the interview?
Director
Director
Send PM
yes it did a day after the interview
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I guess its just a matter of time now before I get dinged.
(my really low college GPA must have let me down!!!)
Director
Director
Send PM
Any news for R1 candidates who got interviewed? It seems awfully quiet here in the forum.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OptimusPrimea1 wrote:
Hey, I probably meant the same thing:-) I believe HKUST is a great college..Only if FT can get its act together and give us correct view of MBA rankings instead of making such mistakes..Basing their ranking (40%) on WAS is a dangerously wrong thing to do for an MBA college..

True the emphasis that the FT rankings place on salary is certainly a hot topic for a lot of people, as is the PPP factor. But on the flip side, many people also place high emphasis on alumni WAS as part of their decision making process. Guess it depends what you’re looking to find out from the ranking.

With regards to the “mistake” I don’t believe that what the FT did previously, (i.e. classifying people from Hong Kong and mainland China as different for diversity purposes) was a “mistake”. While there is common cultural history, there are enough stark differences (e.g. political, cultural) between people from Hong Kong and people from China, that it seems quite inaccurate to consider them as the same when measuring diversity.

In fact many people who have lived in both Hong Kong and Shanghai believe that there are still clear differences between the city, culture, politics, and people. Given that Shanghai is arguably the most westernized city in the mainland, there would be even more differences if you compare Hong Kong to the mainland as a whole, despite the fact that technically the two are the same country.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts