Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [8]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [4]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Send PM
Re: 740+ Study strategy [#permalink]
Kudos
bgpower wrote:
Thanks for the E-GMAT links. Will have a look on them - especially the free videos and their 5 strategies. Have you used some of their paid serviced?

Not yet, though i intend taking their SC course once i am through with quant( may be after couple of weeks)..Although they are new in the market, but they are really structured and organised ...Also their concept pattern is generally on the lines of mgmat( IMO)..but really cheap..
one thign about OG, i am going through all three OGs( 10, 11 and 12)...there are a number of question which are not repeat, so that gives a good amount of prac of official material..Also there are files that are compilation of all gmatprep question( CR, SC,PS and DS), worth downloading because u never know tomorrow the link may be removed(it's there on gmatclub download material)...again they are a great compilation , but do them only after u have exhausted the gmatprep software by giving the test multiple times
If u can't find them, lemme know.
All d very best ...enjoy ur gmat journey..it's only then our best performance comes out....
regards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Your input was very important to me, rajeevrks27! Thanks again!

Unfortunately, i don't have OG 10 and OG 11, but hope, that the 12 will make it! Of course, I'll try to find additional questions as well, once I complete those once and now them cold. But as I said, I will need "some" time to complete all the books, mentioned above. If I still have some free time, I'll definitely buy some more materials as Aristotle and Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann.

I'll be very happy to hear other opinions on the above-mentioned questions as well! Thanks!

Regards,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
I'm following a similar plan to the one you have detailed out. I have finished all five of the main MGMAT math books. Now, I plan to study for the verbal out of the MGMAT books (except substituting the Critical Reasoning Bible for MGMAT, just as you are) while using Total GMAT Math on the side so as to keep the math concepts fresh. Once I finish my initial verbal prep, I will try to target my weak areas as to strengthen that particular raw score, and it will be time to target CATs for stamina/endurance at the end. Good luck on your quest for a 740!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I would go like this:
-start with VERBAL section first, 1 guide
-2 guides quant (i believe you should pick here FDPs and Geometry, at least the two chapters seem easiest to me)
-1 guide verbal
-2 guides quant
-1 guide verbal
-1 guide quant

Note that it is probably better to start with verbal rather than quant because the guides will better distributed and the material will be more fresh. As far as the rest of your questions are concerned, I do not have anything to add. Your strategy seems great, you are ready to dedicated enough time and you got some nice answers from people.

One last thing, I recently discovered the advantage of reading non-gmat stuff to improve my verbal skills. The only thing I regret in the past two and a half months of studying is the fact that I did not start reading english books/articles as soon as I start to prepare for GMAT. Therefore, I recommend you either GMAT Fiction or any other material written in good English, preferably books. Three to five months of reading will definitely help you out. I would not count time spent reading as actually studying for GMAT. Here is the GMAT Fiction thread:

books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

Hope it helps :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@Laker7: Thanks man! Really interesting suggestions, but definitely makes sense! I mean starting with verbal! Generally, I think that while I could hope to refresh some strong basics in Maths/Quant, Verbal would be the area in which I just have to learn much things. My English level shoudl be pretty strong (~TOEFL 100), but from what I've seen, GMAT Verbal is another thing! So it makes sense! It's just the question - if to arrange the sequence of the MGMAT books according to some CAT (resp. weak areas first) or really do it as you suggest - start with Verbal and then just mix them. Maybe your approach is better, because currently every CAT should suggest that all areas are equally weak ;)

Concerning Reading to improve Verbal - a very good point which I wanted to tackle here. Are fictions really the best? In my mother tongue, as well as in both foreign languages, which I speak fluently, I really don't read that many fictions. I know it's a weak point, but I rather prefer reading professional literatura. As an example I'm an Harvard Business Review subscriber and enjoy reading HBR, but NYT, Economist etc. Can they in some whey compensate for fictions? I really should try some fiction books and will do it, but just wanted to know your opinion?

@cecilpaladin32: Your plan sound very good! I have also read that Powerscore CR Bible should be slightly better than MGMAT CR. Would be interested in your opinion Total GMAT Math as an addition to the 5 MGMAT guides? Are you going to use the MGMAt Advanced Math as well?

And one additional question - Does one really need a kind of book like MGMAT Roadmap?

Regards!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I know that the depth of knowledge within areas vary among every person but to more accurate, I will provide some extra insights based on my experience. Go as follows:

-RC guide
-FDPs and Geometry
-CR guide
-Number Properties + Equations, Inequalities & VICs
-SC guide
-Word Translations guide

I did not follow this strategy but I wish I did. If I were at the beginning, I would start with RC because it is a section hardest to improve, especially for non-native speakers like you and I. You will probably go through this guide much faster than other ones because there are not too many details in it, just general strategies. But you will know on what to work on and that is where the GMAT Fiction kicks in (more on it later). The next two math guides are IMO easy and there should be less stress in them than in other guides as these two guides are more basic (at least to me). Then, move on to CR which is easier than RC but harder than SC. By moving on to CR you will also gain some benefit from reading outside material because you would hopefully try to find an argument, strengthen/weaken it, find the assumption etc. in the material you read. After that, move to NP because it is not very hard, though it has many details. The guide with VICs is IMO starting the challenge because that is when I started to struggle. However, by following these steps you will probably get extra benefit from previous material (algebra especially). Sentence Correction will be tough but easiest to improve in. It has many details but they will be fresh in your mind when you get done with all the 8 guides. Plus, by reading outside material you have developed an ear for English grammar. Finally, word translations is the toughest guide because it requires good reading and good algebra.

As far as GMAT Fiction is concerned, the outside reading does not need to be limited to fiction but it MUST be limited to English. I am from Serbia and you and I speak languages that are very similar. Thus, as someone who has graduated in US and speaks a similar language like you, I can tell you that reading in Bulgarian will have no advantage in your GMAT efforts. It should be noted that reading good articles such as WSJ, NYT, HBR and other similar stuff will help you if, while reading, you pretend that you read an actual GMAT problem in verbal section. There is only one thing that you need to keep in mind. Outside reading is a tedious process; BB recommended in the topic whose link I posted, that one should read around 2000 pages (probably much more within 3-5 months). So it might be kind of hard to stay engaged while reading tons of random articles. That is why GMAT Fiction seems as a better choice. If you are confident that you actually can stay focused on reading so many articles, go for it! If not, I would recommend you to combine them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
That's unbelievable ;) Thanks very much!

Concerning the sequence of books - it really makes sense to me! To have SC in the end and have it fresh, also start with things, which are not going to discourage you! Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely incorporate them in my approach!

And about GMAT fictions - I'm pretty sure I will be able to find something, which is interesting to me! You're right that staying focused for 2000+ pages will be tough. Even more - why not mix fictions and high-quality sources as WSJ, NYT, HBR etc. But again - all will be in English that's for sure. It was more than a coincidence that you turned out to be from Serbia (a country that I praise high), the world is quite small nowadays!

BTW: I very much like your signature - "Set your aims high, carpe diem"! That's true!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@bgpower: I just ordered the Total GMAT Math book. I am awaiting shipment on the book, but as of now, I plan on using it to keep doing math problems/review weak areas while I target the verbal section of the exam. I have just finished going through all 5 of the math books in MGMAT, so hopefully, extensive review won't be something I need, other than what I know are major weaknesses of mine (VICs, advanced geometry and especially similar triangles, and combinatorics)...

I have been debating whether or not I want to buy the Advanced Quant book from MGMAT. I may order it as I get closer to my exam, but as of now, I don't plan on it. I am hoping Total GMAT Math in addition to the completion of the normal MGMAT books will be enough...(and hopefully some GMAT Club Diagnostic tests, if I can get enough kudos/posts by mid-April ^_^)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Donot gather too many books. Rather read one book and finish it before buying another. MGMAT Advanced Quant and GMAT Club Tests. It would need 100+ hours to finish them all.

Make a hourly plan for each topic and post again in this thread.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@cecilpaladin32: Sound like a very good plan! Both books MGMAT Advanced Math & Total GMAT Math seem to be equally good! I'll definitely post a review of all books I use, so stay tuned.

@AbhiJ: You're hitting a very important point. Maybe that's the reason I don't want to rush into buying additional books, as the ones from Aristotle (RC99 and SC), a grammar book (Doing Grammar or GMAT Grammar) and Jeff Sackmann's one! I have plenty of materials and might concider ordering something else only if those books turn out to be insufficient. In the end of the day, it's also a questions of money.

Just in a few minutes I'll come back with a more detailed plan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I'll be very happy if you again provide me with your feedback. So...

Study plan total length: 14 weeks until the 28th of Mai
Target Exam date: 21st of May - 28th of Mai
Hours per day: 3-4 hours on weekdays and 5-6 hours on weekends

[February] Weeks 1-2: Foundations with MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math and Foundations of GMAT Verbal
[March] Weeks 3-4:
[March] Weeks 5-6:
[April] Weeks 7-8:
[April] Weeks 9-10:
[May] Weeks 11-12:
[May] Weeks 13-14: Review (error log and notes) and CAT's. EXAM

Military Forum: Destroy the GMAT wrote:
In order to mitigate losing skills over time, incorporate at least 10-20 questions each day from previous subjects just to stay fresh. This is why you do your strongest subjects last - you will actually be spending a lot of time reviewing previous subjects as you get further along in the program. After studying a subject intensely for two weeks, it should become ingrained in you and not perish in a matter of weeks.
https://militarytobusiness.blogspot.in/2 ... -gmat.html

Tools: Error log, Notes on things I don't know cold, etc.

Along this - Some fictions, HBR, NYT, WSJ, The Economist, several GMAT related video seminars as Thursday's with Ron!

The question resp. problem I currently have is the sequence of the topics/books. Unfortunately, the terrible score of my GMAT diagnostics exam doesn't give me a clue how to arrange the topics. I do have one suggestion by Laker7 (thanks dude), although I'm not sure if this arrangement doesn't compromise the strategy of the Military forum, I want to implement. Maybe the simple and only solution will be to take one CAT after both Foundation books and then decide on the sequence. Do you agree? Until now, I just wanted to save my CAT's for the last phase of my preparation. Furthermore, as a GMAT novice I had problems with the easy GMAT Club diagnostics and can't imagine what it would be to tackle an entire GMAT CAT.

While the solution of the sequence question is rather clear, I have another one concerning the types of questions I will use in the different stages of my preparation. Here I would be very much interested in your opinion. If I complete the questions MGMAT provides after every chapter as well as the OG questions of every chapter, which questions should I do the following weeks in order to have 10-20 questions per day from the previous topics? One suggestions still is the error log (re-do old questions), but what about others - maybe OG Quant and OG Verbal?

Regards,
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bgpower wrote:
I have another one concerning the types of questions I will use in the different stages of my preparation. Here I would be very much interested in your opinion. If I complete the questions MGMAT provides after every chapter as well as the OG questions of every chapter, which questions should I do the following weeks in order to have 10-20 questions per day from the previous topics? One suggestions still is the error log (re-do old questions), but what about others - maybe OG Quant and OG Verbal?

You can do og 10 , og 11( many questions are not repeat) , og verbal , og quant , 1000 series( they are official questions) and repeats of og 12
Best would be to exhaust the official material.
they are the ones most close to what ur likely to see on D day. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks, rajeevrks27! Official questions are the best questions, I agree! So I'l tackle it this way - do all MGMAT and OG12 questions while completing the Strategy Guides. All mistaken/guessed one will be included in my error log, which I'll re-do daily (no matter if I'm on the same topic or have moved to the next one). New practice questions will come from the old OG's.

What about my first question about the sequence of the topics/books. Unfortunately, the terrible score of my GMAT diagnostics exam doesn't give me a clue how to arrange the topics. I do have one suggestion by Laker7 (thanks dude), although I'm not sure if this arrangement doesn't compromise the strategy of the Military forum, I want to implement.
-The first possibility is to follow the logical sequence offered by Laker 7 some posts earlier
- The second solution - take one CAT after both Foundation books and then decide on the sequence. As a GMAT novice I had problems with the easy GMAT Club diagnostics and can't imagine what it would be to tackle an entire GMAT CAT.

Would love to hear your opinion on that. Thanks!

Regards,
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Send PM
bgpower wrote:
The first possibility is to follow the logical sequence offered by Laker 7 some posts earlier
- The second solution - take one CAT after both Foundation books and then decide on the sequence. As a GMAT novice I had problems with the easy GMAT Club diagnostics and can't imagine what it would be to tackle an entire GMAT CAT.

Laker7 is correct in saying that RC is the hardest section to improve in verbal, but there is nothing much u can do about RC besides doing 3-4 passages daily or reading GMAT fiction ...choice is totally yours.
As far as giving CAT at an early stage Vs later stage debate is concerned, in my opinion CAT can be given at an early stage to gauge ur level as it's the most accurate in telling you about ur weakest area and ur strongest area. Actually, the sequence of books should be drawn on the basis of the comfort factor in subject, weakest subject being the first one to be addressed.
moreover, if you give CAT ( gmatprep 1) now, there will be hardly any question that u will remember after two months of studies, the time when u sit again to check ur progress with gmatprep. Trust once u will give the CAT now, you will realize that it was not as difficult as u had imagined. :) . so cut out the initial inhibition , give a CAT right away and post the score, only then u will come to know ur standing.
Regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Kudos
bgpower, I'm also using the MGMAT guides. My strategy for these has been to do all the OG guide questions at the end of each booklet, but save the OG Quant questions for when I want to diagnose myself after completing all of the Quant booklets. It's a similar strategy that I hope will help re-enforce the concepts that I have trouble with.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Send PM
hi bgpower,
great to see ur thread figuring in the weekly news letter of gmatclub , may it provide valuable inputs to the starters.
+1 kudos for starting this discussion.
Regards.
Rajeev
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys!

Thanks again for the valuable support! I think the thread made it in the GMATClub newsletter, because of your awesome answers! You contributed 99% to all this! Again, thank you!

@Yekrut: That's a good suggestion you have here! Saving the questions from OG Quant might help you have real GMAC questions afterwards to keep the knowledge fresh! I might think of doing that as well!

In a nutshell:
Thanks to your wonderful suggestions, I will complete by the end of this month both MGMAT Foundations books, install GMATPrep and see the devil in the eyes! The results will help me understand which sequence of the 8 strategy guides to follow! I'll then start with the weakest area, continually move forward towards the area, where I feel strongest, and every day dedicate time to revise my error log and do new questions for the already passed sections! Hope that works! I'll definitely keep you updated on this!

In the meantime, I'll be happy to hear some other opinions as well. Or why not questions from people who need help?

Regards,
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6