Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 07:03 It is currently 05 May 2024, 07:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 940 [8]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1045 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Commentator: In academic scholarship, sources are always cited, and me [#permalink]
MacFauz wrote:
Answer should be C. Will explain if correct.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Why not D?

I felt "should" strong word used in all other answers might be wrong!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3124 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Commentator: In academic scholarship, sources are always cited, and me [#permalink]
Kudos
shanmugamgsn wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Answer should be C. Will explain if correct.

Why not D?

I felt "should" strong word used in all other answers might be wrong!!!

Since the question itself has the word should, using the same in the answer will not be a problem. D is wrong because it is going out of scope. There is no mention of efficiency anywhere.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
In D, He is talking about the form of software for university use and Not on what type software university should use.
The main concern here is the choosing of the software by university(what type of software the university should use) not on the form of software best for university use.

So I guess C bests over D.

I choose C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Option C vs D?
how are form and type different??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Kudos
mallya12 wrote:
Option C vs D?
how are form and type different??

Hi, even though both C&D sounds similar. The main differentiating point is Efficiency. The argument talks about the fact that the universities should use that software which represents their value ( as presented in C). But D further add to the point that the software which reflects a universities value are the most efficient to use. The argument has mentioned nothing about efficiency.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6871 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
priyankagh wrote:
Can someone explain C vs E?

Hello, priyankagh. I will go one better. Since I do not see any other Expert replies, I will offer a full analysis of the question for the benefit of the community.

Quote:
Commentator: In academic scholarship, sources are always cited, and methodology and theoretical assumptions are set out, so as to allow critical study, replication, and expansion of scholarship. In open-source software, the code in which the program is written can be viewed and modified by individual users for their purposes without getting permission from the producer or paying a fee. In contrast, the code of proprietary software is kept secret, and modifications can be made only by the producer, for a fee. This shows that open-source software better matches the values embodied in academic scholarship, and since scholarship is central to the mission of universities, universities should use only open-source software.

The commentator’s reasoning most closely conforms to which one of the following principles?

The passage discusses a similarity between academic scholarship and open-source software while also drawing a contrast between these two and proprietary software. We should set the facts straight before we proceed:

Academic scholarship: 1) sources are always cited; 2) methodology and theoretical assumptions are set out; 3) the aim is to allow critical study, replication, and expansion of scholarship

Open-source software: 1) the code can be viewed and modified without permission or paying a fee

Proprietary software: 1) the code is kept secret and can be modified only by the producer by paying a fee

Central to the argument that universities should use only open-source software is the shared value system of academic scholarship and open-source software, specifically open access and the encouragement to modify existing work.

Quote:
(A) Whatever software tools are most advanced and can achieve the goals of academic scholarship are the ones that should alone be used in universities.

The technological capabilities of software are not discussed in the passage, so the most advanced software is not pertinent to matter at hand. In general, it is a good idea to watch for overreaching language, words that end in -st or outline absolute conditions: cannot, must, always, never, and so on.

Quote:
(B) Universities should use the type of software technology that is least expensive, as long as that type of software technology is adequate for the purposes of academic scholarship.

Did you catch the superlative—least—this time? Yes, the passage does mention a fee associated with proprietary software, but the comparison between academic scholarship and open-source software is not based on a fee structure. The relationship is built more on open access, and least expensive here is unwarranted.

Quote:
(C) Universities should choose the type of software technology that best matches the values embodied in the activities that are central to the mission of universities.

This statement aligns almost word for word with the last line of the passage. Look at a rearranged version:

Universities should use only open-source software [because] open-source software better matches the values embodied in academic scholarship, [and] scholarship is central to the mission of universities.

You might be wondering about the superlative best in the answer choice. How did better from the passage become best in the answer choice? Notice, first, that the call for universities to use open-source software is extreme in itself: universities should use only open-source software. And although the passage mentions only two types of software—hence, the comparative better—it is reasonable to expect that in this line of thought, the argument could extend to other types of software technology that are not explicitly mentioned—i.e. the comparison does not need to touch on all types of software technology for the point to be made. In short, there is nothing out of line in this answer choice, so it is a safe bet.

Quote:
(D) The form of software technology that best matches the values embodied in the activities that are central to the mission of universities is the form of software technology that is most efficient for universities to use.

Efficiency is never mentioned in the passage. The answer choice starts out just fine, but once it takes a turn, the logic becomes ill-founded. This question of the most efficient software technology is pure speculation.

Quote:
(E) A university should not pursue any activity that would block the achievement of the goals of academic scholarship at that university.

Remember, the question stem asks us to identify a principle that most closely conforms to the commentator's reasoning. That line of reasoning is not based on negation, so blocking the achievement of goals seems out of place, not to mention that any activity is another extreme. The argument in question proposes the use of open-source software over proprietary software based on an alignment of values, but any activity goes beyond the scope of the discussion.

Perhaps the question and the answer choices make more sense now. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts