Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:46 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Haas School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I am a R1 applicant from Israel. My youtube video (the supplemental section) has not shown any new views since originally posted last month.
I know for a fact that people from my country got interview invites and I have been told that Rod Garcia himself comes to Israel to interview prospectives.
This does not make any sense?!
On the chat with admissions a couple of days ago I asked this question and was given a very generic answer that they haven't reviewed all the applications yet.
History shows that the invites are sent according to region.
If this means a ding it's ok, I get it, but the fact that they haven't seen my video is very weird to me, especially when they take pride in reviewing every aspect of your application and encourage applicants to the submit the supplemental essay.

Any insights? I'm getting really frustrated here…
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
BV wrote:
I am a R1 applicant from Israel. My youtube video (the supplemental section) has not shown any new views since originally posted last month.
I know for a fact that people from my country got interview invites and I have been told that Rod Garcia himself comes to Israel to interview prospectives.
On the chat with admissions a couple of days ago I asked this question and was given a very generic answer that they haven't reviewed all the applications yet.
If this means a ding it's ok, I get it, but the fact that they haven't seen my video is very weird to me, especially when they take pride in reviewing every aspect of your application and encourage applicants to the submit the supplemental essay.

Occam's razor (also written as Ockham's razor, Latin lex parsimoniae) is the law of parsimony, economy, or succinctness. It is a principle stating that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Given that nobody has viewed your video and that they say they haven't read all applications, I think it's simplest to just take a deep breath and trust them. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (S)
Send PM
any invites from europe yet?
Haas School Moderator
Send PM
BV wrote:

BV,
There are two things which might help you.
1. YouTube stats are not a reliable source to consider that your application has been viewed yet or not. In order for a view to be registered on the YouTube, the viewer has to finish watching the entire video. So if someone stops watching your video when only last seconds are remaining, YouTube won’t register it as a view generally.
2. Yes, MIT Sloan does send out invites by geographic location but that doesn’t mean that they absolutely stop sending invites to a location after the first wave. Looking at last year’s patter it seems like, they go back and send out some more invites after the first wave. This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.
So hang in there my friend.

Originally posted by MALD2011 on 11 Dec 2012, 13:59.
Last edited by MALD2011 on 11 Dec 2012, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MALD2011 wrote:
This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.

I see this argument a lot.... but I doubt it....
I will present why in 3 steps:
1. Anyone (Let us say Joey) who applied to Stanford and got in, will tend to wait till the last minute before sending their rejection of MIT
2. The reason is: MIT could offer scholarship that Stanford didnt.
3. MIT is one of those schools which draws a very niche audience: people very comfortable with who they are, not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn. Therefore Joey has nothing to lose in waiting till the ultimate result comes out with scholarships offered. This could in turn give Joey a bargaining power with Stanford.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
FrozenTongue wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
This could be because some people might withdraw their application (someone who got accepted to Stanford GSB or HBS). So they might have more spots open later on.

I see this argument a lot.... but I doubt it....
I will present why in 3 steps:
1. Anyone (Let us say Joey) who applied to Stanford and got in, will tend to wait till the last minute before sending their rejection of MIT
2. The reason is: MIT could offer scholarship that Stanford didnt.
3. MIT is one of those schools which draws a very niche audience: people very comfortable with who they are, not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn. Therefore Joey has nothing to lose in waiting till the ultimate result comes out with scholarships offered. This could in turn give Joey a bargaining power with Stanford.

Nope - H/S do need-based aid so there is no bargaining power. There definitely is some withdrawal that happens post-H/S R1 admit.
Haas School Moderator
Send PM
MALD2011 wrote:

FrozenTongue wrote:

Why would Joey wait till last minute to confirm his MIT Sloan’s acceptance if he is one of those people from the niche audience. He wouldn’t care about going to any other school as long as he gets accepted to MIT. In that scenario he would not be the part of the elimination set anyway.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MALD2011 wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:

FrozenTongue wrote:

Why would Joey wait till last minute to confirm his MIT Sloan’s acceptance if he is one of those people from the niche audience. He wouldn’t care about going to any other school as long as he gets accepted to MIT. In that scenario he would not be the part of the elimination set anyway.

The point is most MIT applicants are Joeys... Their dilemma of brand vs education will drag on to the last minute...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
FrozenTongue wrote:
The point is most MIT applicants are Joeys... Their dilemma of brand vs education will drag on to the last minute...

I disagree, I would be stunned if MIT wins a lot of cross-admits against H/S. No data to back that up though.
Haas School Moderator
Send PM
FrozenTongue wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:

FrozenTongue wrote:

Tongue, you refute your own argument because according to your last post Joey will be following
FrozenTongue wrote:

not concerned much about brand name, but concerned with what activities they can do at the school, and what they can learn..

So in that case Joey will never be in that dilemma of brand vs education. Joey will always sign up for the education he thinks he would get at Sloan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
I did not submit a video and still got an invitation. However, I felt then (and still feel) that the essay was the best forum for my message.

I actually did not end up submitting an optional essay (or video). I felt that I had enough to say on my actual Cover Letter, Convince Essay and Setback. We will see.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
On an unrelated note, the only thing keeping me happy right now is the Thanksgiving to Christmas sale.... First year in America for me.... Whoever said money cannot bring happiness, has never been to America !!! :P
Haas School Moderator
Send PM
FrozenTongue wrote:
On an unrelated note, the only thing keeping me happy right now is the Thanksgiving to Christmas sale.... First year in America for me.... Whoever said money cannot bring happiness, has never been to America !!! :P

Amen !! ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Any invites out for applicants in China?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
For those people locate in U.S... is it still only the East Coast area that got the invitation? It's so weird that my supplemental video has lot more viewers recently but not from Massachusetts... I hope there will be some good news for MidWest...
Haas School Moderator
Send PM
AresZhu wrote:
For those people locate in U.S... is it still only the East Coast area that got the invitation? It's so weird that my supplemental video has lot more viewers recently but not from Massachusetts... I hope there will be some good news for MidWest...

I haven't heard anything for the US midwest. Only a few people on the east coast got the interview invites.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OK midwest/southeast/west men and women.... the party is over. lets all go home.. see you all this weekend for the afterparty with loads of hard liquor...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts