Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
At least they are nice enough to send the email after Christmas and before Jan- which is many other schools' R2 deadline .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
My condolences out to those who got dinged. For the waitlisters, any idea what % manage to get in? I think at wharton/booth, it's around 20-25% but haven't seen similar stats for Sloan.

Also, you guys think it's a huge problem if essay 1 is 520 words? I already submitted and am hoping it won't be too much of an issue.

No. 20 words over the limit is not a big deal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
I'm trying to upload the supplemental information (YouTube link)... for some reason, it's not copying and pasting into the ApplyYourself website. Any ideas? Do I need to manually type in the link?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Ding w/out interview! And I'm a legacy. My dad's not going to be too happy...

Oh well, life goes on. Agreed with those who have said that it's nice they let us know after Christmas and before other deadlines. Based on the caliber of the folks on this forum, I'm guessing it was a really tough year. Best of luck to all with other decisions/applications!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
myvitalsign wrote:
I'm trying to upload the supplemental information (YouTube link)... for some reason, it's not copying and pasting into the ApplyYourself website. Any ideas? Do I need to manually type in the link?

The ApplyYourself website is pretty terrible. Try using a different browser. I'm on a Mac and can't copy/paste with Safari and Chrome, but FIrefox works just fine.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
myvitalsign wrote:

The ApplyYourself website is pretty terrible. Try using a different browser. I'm on a Mac and can't copy/paste with Safari and Chrome, but FIrefox works just fine.

Thanks - I used Internet Explorer and it worked!!! Saved me a heart attack!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 07-04-2012
Send PM
Dinged w/o int as well. Just great. 0/6 for R1. A 760 GMAT could not even get me an interview anywhere...well..whatever.
Time to throw away NYE plans and work on R2.
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
ri27 wrote:
Dinged w/o int as well. Just great. 0/6 for R1. A 760 GMAT could not even get me an interview anywhere...well..whatever.

You have a great GMAT score and this means that there must be something very wrong with at least one part of your app. It could be either your essays or recos. I suggest you take a look at your essays and also get in touch with your recommenders and request them to rewrite your recos (you may even consider changing your recommenders for the next round). My two cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT Date: 07-04-2012
Send PM
finmaster wrote:
ri27 wrote:

You have a great GMAT score and this means that there must be something very wrong with at least one part of your app. It could be either your essays or recos. I suggest you take a look at your essays and also get in touch with your recommenders and request them to rewrite your recos (you may even consider changing your recommenders for the next round). My two cents.

Well, more likely the sub-3.0 gpa from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. I was hoping the gmat would ameliorate it, but I guess not. Both my recs were from MIT alums so I am disappointed that I did not even receive an interview. Then again, I was told pretty clearly that MIT, unlike Stanford or Harvard, keeps all external influences shielded from their admissions process. So for those of you contemplating between these schools - do consider that each one of your MIT classmates fully earned their spot!

Anyways, I was definitely aiming too high with my applications, but still, feels kinda crappy to be told that I don't belong in the club :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ri27 wrote:
finmaster wrote:
ri27 wrote:

Well, more likely the sub-3.0 gpa from an oversubscribed pool of applicants. I was hoping the gmat would ameliorate it, but I guess not. Both my recs were from MIT alums so I am disappointed that I did not even receive an interview. Then again, I was told pretty clearly that MIT, unlike Stanford or Harvard, keeps all external influences shielded from their admissions process. So for those of you contemplating between these schools - do consider that each one of your MIT classmates fully earned their spot!

Anyways, I was definitely aiming too high with my applications, but still, feels kinda crappy to be told that I don't belong in the club :(

Man, I guess having an MIT alum as a recommender doesn't really help. I was really hoping it would speak to adcom more... I also have a recommender who is also an alum.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Funny how this process works, flat ding at MIT. Not like I care though.

And, for the record, it really does not matter if you recommenders have an MBA or what school they went to. The most important thing, by far, is that they can advocate for you with specific examples of why you would be a good business leader. They must know you well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [6]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Got the result yesterday and am not invited :(

Anyways since I was planning to release some stuff of my application (the optional essay) in case I am rejected here it is ...

Maybe somebody can use it as a thought provoking impulse.

Since the whole application process for an MBA is really dry and MIT states on various occasions that it has a big emphasize on community and honors humor I figured why not making a funny video that shows my personal side.

So here it is ...

[REMOVED]

Originally posted by solarzj on 27 Dec 2012, 01:37.
Last edited by solarzj on 29 May 2014, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
The MIT Sloan ding letter explicitly mentions that there are 324 seats in the MBA program this year. They have mentioned 324 twice, and specifically mentioned that this year 'approx. 4,000 applicants will compete for 324 seats in the MBA program'. This seems a step down - last year they matriculated 400+ students. Hence, even more competitive this year
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Waitlisted without interview...anyone in the same boat?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
solarzj wrote:

Anyways since I was planning to release some stuff of my application (the optional essay) in case I am rejected here it is ...

Maybe somebody can use it as a thought provoking impulse.

Since the whole application process for an MBA is really dry and MIT states on various occasions that it has a big emphasize on community and honors humor I figured why not making a funny video that shows my personal side.

So here it is ...

Great video. I'm dinged too. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
str1der wrote:
The MIT Sloan ding letter explicitly mentions that there are 324 seats in the MBA program this year. They have mentioned 324 twice, and specifically mentioned that this year 'approx. 4,000 applicants will compete for 324 seats in the MBA program'. This seems a step down - last year they matriculated 400+ students. Hence, even more competitive this year

str1der, I saw that as well. I think they're excluding LGO candidates (~50) in that figure. Even so, typically they have ~350 seats available (source: https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/ ... -and-chat/). They overenrolled the Class of 2014 by 9 people, so it appears as if the other 17 seats are reserved for deferrals from last year.

Looks like my prior analysis (sloan-2013-mit-calling-all-applicants-134969-40.html#p1130114) wasn't too far off :D. Unfortunately, it did not help me gain admission to Sloan, haha. Given the new information, it feels like the acceptance rate will drop from 14.4% for the Class of 2014 to 13.1% for the Class of 2015--that's a substantial dip...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
solarzj wrote:

So here it is ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59hwhAKSa_A

Very catchy!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts