Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [7]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Some meal-replacement weight loss shakes contain protein, carbohydrate [#permalink]
Kudos
First of all, please be noted that this question is not strengthen, this is a resolve the paradox question.

There's no conclusion here
, just facts. The correct answer will allow both sides to be correct. It will either explain how the situation came into being or add a piece of information that shows how the two ideas can coexist. - According to Power Score CR Bible.

Fact 1: Meal-replacement weigh loss shakes contain: P, C, F will help a person feeling full.
Fact 2: However, dieters should eat lean meat and vegetables instead of drinking meal-replacement weight loss shakes.

Why: there's a factor other than P, C, F makes a person feeling full for longer.

C, D, E are out of scope. Narrow down to A, B.

A. The action of chewing food, as opposed to drinking it, makes the brain send signals that tell the stomach to feel fuller for longer. - CORRECT
B. Some dieters still feel hungry after drinking a meal-replacement shake. - WRONG - This is a shell game. The question talks about meal-replacement weight loss shake, not meal-replacement shakes in general.
C. Weight loss shakes are fortified with vitamins and minerals - WRONG - Clearly out of scope, there's nothing about vitamins and mineral.
D. Yogurt has a natural balance of protein and carbohydrates, although it is low in fiber. - WRONG - Out of scope.
E. Some people are unable to digest the lactose base of many meal-replacement shakes. - WRONG - Out of scope.

Hope it's clear.

Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Some meal-replacement weight loss shakes contain [#permalink]
Quote:
The position to the left is best supported by which of the following?

this quote is most unusual !! what exactly is "left" ?
anyway i picked up A assuming the question is ----> "the argument is best supported by"

argument is promoting to eat real food instead of some shakes . if A is true then argument is supported

E is wrong because we are not really bothered about "some people" ---> after all even 1 or 2 person can be "some" .if 2 person are not able to digest the lactose base of many meal-replacement shakes then it really does not make a case against the shakes, after all u cannot really make everyone happy and neither is argument contending to do so !!

BTW what is the source?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I chose C, but do not know why it is wrong. Can someone please explain what is wrong with C?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Some meal-replacement weight loss shakes contain [#permalink]
ahmedjaved wrote:
I chose C, but do not know why it is wrong. Can someone please explain what is wrong with C?

My 2 cents on this.
We need an answer which strengthen the conclusion/argument "dieters trying to feel full should instead get their protein, carbohydrates, and fiber by eating meals composed of lean meats and vegetables.".

c. Weight loss shakes are fortified with vitamins and minerals.
Now option C doesn't do much to support the "lean meat and vegetables" option. In-fact it talks abt a positive fact of the "shakes" , which is opposite of what we r looking for. Since we dont know the effect of vit and min from the arg we can take it as either irrelevant or weakener.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
crackgmatg wrote:
Some meal-replacement weight loss shakes contain protein, carbohydrates, and fiber, all of which help to keep a person feeling full until their next meal. However, dieters trying to feel full should instead get their protein, carbohydrates, and fiber by eating meals composed of lean meats and vegetables.

A. The action of chewing food, as opposed to drinking it, makes the brain send signals that tell the stomach to feel fuller for longer.
B. Some dieters still feel hungry after drinking a meal-replacement shake.
c. Weight loss shakes are fortified with vitamins and minerals.
D. Yogurt has a natural balance of protein and carbohydrates, although it is low in fiber.
E. Some people are unable to digest the lactose base of many meal-replacement shakes.

Can someone please explain why E is wrong?

We are looking for an answer that proves that eating lean meats and vegetables makes one fill more full than weight loss shakes

A. The action of chewing food, as opposed to drinking it, makes the brain send signals that tell the stomach to feel fuller for longer.- correct
B. Some dieters still feel hungry after drinking a meal-replacement shake.- adds a fact about the shake but no information about the solid food meal
c. Weight loss shakes are fortified with vitamins and minerals.-irrelevant
D. Yogurt has a natural balance of protein and carbohydrates, although it is low in fiber.-irrelevant
E. Some people are unable to digest the lactose base of many meal-replacement shakes.- just as in B, adds a fact about the shake but no information about the solid food meal

Hope it helps :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Re: Some meal-replacement weight loss shakes contain protein, carbohydrate [#permalink]
Conclusion says that we need to replace the shakes with meat/veggies.
Why do we need veggies/meat instead of shakes?
We need to find an answer that says points out the shortcoming of shakes with respect to feeling full.
Answer is clearly A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
Some meal-replacement weight loss shakes contain protein, carbohydrates, and fiber, all of which help to keep a person feeling full until their next meal. However, dieters trying to feel full should instead get their protein, carbohydrates, and fiber by eating meals composed of lean meats and vegetables.

A
The action of chewing food, as opposed to drinking it, makes the brain send signals that tell the stomach to feel fuller for longer.
B
Some dieters still feel hungry after drinking a meal-replacement shake. Trap answer. Some dieters feel hungry. How many??
C
Weight loss shakes are fortified with vitamins and minerals. Out of scope as it says about vitamins and minerals.
D
Yogurt has a natural balance of protein and carbohydrates, although it is low in fiber. Again out of scope.
E
Some people are unable to digest the lactose base of many meal-replacement shakes. Irrelevant. We are not concerned about "some" people who are unable to digest meal-replacement shakes.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!!

Archit

Choice A must be the correct answer as it clearly states drinking meal-replacement shakes will make one feel less full than chewing food (like lean meats & vegetables. Hence this choice is supporting the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
I got the answer right.
But the question stem is unusual. What does that "position to the left" mean?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts