Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 23:25 It is currently 22 May 2024, 23:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
WE:Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [1]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Is there a change in scoring pattern in Kaplan GMAT mocks? [#permalink]
jonathanwylie wrote:
Hi,

It looks like you are scoring in a range. Just remember, you really can't use the number correct to calculate score. It is not how may you get correct. It is how hard the ones you get correct are.

The reason your verbal score was so much lower on the first one is that you left some questions unanswered (there is a greater penalty for that).

We put a lot of effort into making our online tests as realistic as possible.

I am not really sure what paper tests you are referring to. There is no way for anything on paper to be truly adaptive since a CAT is designed to deliver the next question based on the answer to the previous.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best, Jonathan

Hey jonathan,

I also have the same problem. The tests discussed here are the tests which come free with the Kaplan GMAT premier book and are online tests.
By papers i meant the mock tests which are online ... sorry for the confusion.
I have received scores as high as 740 730 with around 16 wrong in verbal and got a score of 42 in verbal.
Also one thing i noticed was that starting 10 questions are always medium level difficulty and there after high level questions only. I don't think this is adaptive test.

Please clarify my doubt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: LBS '16
Send PM
I had a similar experience today. But my verbal percentile is 64% which answers the question-despite a low total score of V32Q51 I managed to score 740. I think this mainly has to do with how other people in sample space, who appear in kaplan online tests, perform.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
same problem....760with many ques wrong in verbal...

Posted from my mobile device
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 647 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi folks,

The GMAC is very explicit that the math sectional raw score and the verbal sectional quant score are not directly comparable. Nonetheless, the percentile breakdowns of the two sections, here, are very interesting. Note in particular that the highest quant score (51) is only the 97th %ile--a full three percent of the test group gets that score!

Quantitative performance follows a very irregular distribution. That means that many people come in on the bottom, having not used much math in their day-to-day lives for years, but a large group of people (engineers, accountants, etc) are extremely well versed in math and can do exceptionally well on the test.

Conversely, verbal distribution follows a much more typical bell curve with a long tail--scores go up to 51 once again (and once again, not actually directly comparable to a 51 math), but they stop tracking individual percentile at around 45 as the "tail" of the bell curve gets increasingly smaller. Most people, native or non-native, end up in the middle of this range, with very few doing extremely poorly or incredibly well.

For that reason, the "percent below" scores on math and verbal can't really be compared.

Finally, as for the overall scores with that number of errors--as Jonathan said earlier, a lot depends on he location and difficulty of the questions you got wrong, not just the number. The test is adaptive, which means your percent correct is a poor indicator of whether your final number score is accurate. So, take pride in your accomplishments, and use them to build your confidence as you get ready for Test Day!

Best,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Same question

I just gave my third mock CAT from Kaplan and got the following score -

Overall 720

Quant - 98%ile with 8 incorrect
Verbal - 56%ile with 18 incorrect

Now, I am seriously about to questions the scoring as 98%ile is about 51 in quant and in verbal 56% is 30, translating into score of 680.

Please guide me, if i am missing something
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
jonathanwylie wrote:
Hi,

It looks like you are scoring in a range. Just remember, you really can't use the number correct to calculate score. It is not how may you get correct. It is how hard the ones you get correct are.

The reason your verbal score was so much lower on the first one is that you left some questions unanswered (there is a greater penalty for that).

We put a lot of effort into making our online tests as realistic as possible.

I am not really sure what paper tests you are referring to. There is no way for anything on paper to be truly adaptive since a CAT is designed to deliver the next question based on the answer to the previous.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best, Jonathan

maths 98 percentile
verbal 23 percentile
overall 740 in kaplan video tst is his possible
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Same to me here. I've just score 960 with Quant percentile: 97 (7 incorrect); Verbal percentile: 96 (17 incorrect, however first 9 medium ques correct).
While the Quant percentile is just ok with my history Quant scores on GMAT Prep (50-51), the verbal result is quite shocking. The highest Verbal scores I got in GMATPrep and Manhattan tests were 33-34. In fact, on the first real test 1 month ago, I score only 26 in Verbal.

Any explanation for the above result?
GMAT Club Bot