Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 01:08 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 01:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [24]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [7]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Schools: LBS '17
Send PM
Re: If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim [#permalink]
m3equals333 wrote:

Radius of an inscribed circle in a right triangle is the sum of the legs - the hypotenuse divided by 2.

Is that a rule or was this derived somehow ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Consulting (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim [#permalink]
amz14 wrote:
m3equals333 wrote:

Radius of an inscribed circle in a right triangle is the sum of the legs - the hypotenuse divided by 2.

Is that a rule or was this derived somehow ?

Hi - Yes, it is a rule, but understanding how it is derived is important. I strongly recommend you check out the GMAT Club Free Math book:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65750 [3]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shreyas wrote:
If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approximate area of the largest circle that can be inscribed in this triangle?

(A) pi
(B) 6.3 pi
(C) 4 pi
(D) pi/2
(E) 3 pi/2

Solving this question using basic geometry:

First think, what kind of right triangle will have the largest circle inscribed in it? How will you split the 20 units of the perimeter among the three sides?

You can vary the length of the two legs and the hypotenuse will be already defined. If you keep the length of the two legs very different from each other, the circle you can inscribe in the triangle will be very small. As you make the lengths equal, the circle keeps getting bigger. So this should help you realize that you are looking for an isosceles right triangle.
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 17.88 KiB | Viewed 5506 times ]

\(S + S + \sqrt{2}*S = 20\)
\(S = 20/(2+\sqrt{2})\)
\(S = 10(2 - \sqrt{2}) = 6\) approximately (actually it is smaller than 6 but taking \(\sqrt{2} = 1.4\) helps approximate. Ideally, they should have mentioned this value of root 2 in the question since the calculations are tedious otherwise)

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg
Ques4.jpg [ 15.37 KiB | Viewed 5493 times ]

Now notice that we can calculate area of the triangle in two ways:
(1/2)*leg1*leg2 = (1/2)*Altitude*Hypotenuse

\(6 * 6 = Altitude * \sqrt{2} * 6\)

\(Altitude = 3\sqrt{2} = r + \sqrt{2}r\)

\(r = 3*\sqrt{2}*(\sqrt{2} - 1)\)

\(r = 3*1.4*.4 = 1.7\)

Area of circle \(= \pi*r^2 = \pi*1.7^2 = 3.89\pi\) approximately
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
we have formula for radius of circle, insribed to equilateral triangle:

r=a*sqrt3/6, where a is a side of triangle, so

r=20/3*sqrt3/6=10*sqrt3/6

r^2=(10*sqrt3/6)^2=100/27=3.7, so

area=3.7pi or 4pi

C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shreyas wrote:
If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approximate area of the largest circle that can be inscribed in this triangle?

(A) pi
(B) 6.3 pi
(C) 4 pi
(D) pi/2
(E) 3 pi/2

First think, what kind of right triangle will have the largest circle inscribed in it? How will you split the 20 units of the perimeter among the three sides?

You can vary the length of the two legs and the hypotenuse will be already defined. If you keep the length of the two legs very different from each other, the circle you can inscribe in the triangle will be very small. As you make the lengths equal, the circle keeps getting bigger. So this should help you realize that you are looking for an isosceles right triangle.
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

\(S = 20/(2+\sqrt{2})\)
\(S = 10(2 - \sqrt{2}) = 6\) approximately (actually it is smaller than 6 but taking \(\sqrt{2} = 1.4\) helps approximate. Ideally, they should have mentioned this value of root 2 in the question since the calculations are tedious otherwise)

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg

\(r = 3*1.4*.4 = 1.7\)

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma
This is quite tough problem. Do you think is possible on test day to face such problem. I think even in 3 minutes is quite hard to get to the solution .

Anyway I would like to point something that I found in your solution and of course correct me if I'm wrong.

So you wrote \(1.7^2 = 3.89\) but \(1.7^2 = 2.89\) now can we round up 2.89 to 4, other than that we can see that the answers are quite far.

Thanks a lot
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65750 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kzivrev wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shreyas wrote:

(A) pi
(B) 6.3 pi
(C) 4 pi
(D) pi/2
(E) 3 pi/2

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

\(S = 20/(2+\sqrt{2})\)

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg

\(r = 3*1.4*.4 = 1.7\)

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma
This is quite tough problem. Do you think is possible on test day to face such problem. I think even in 3 minutes is quite hard to get to the solution .

Anyway I would like to point something that I found in your solution and of course correct me if I'm wrong.

So you wrote \(1.7^2 = 3.89\) but \(1.7^2 = 2.89\) now can we round up 2.89 to 4, other than that we can see that the answers are quite far.

Thanks a lot

You are right. A much closer value is about \(2.94 * \pi\) and that would mean about \(3*\pi\).
\(4*\pi\) is too much of a stretch but there are no options closer to this value.

The likelihood of such a question in actual GMAT is not very high though it is based on very basic concepts. Also, this formula,
Leg1 * Leg2 = Altitude*Hypotenuse comes in very handy. It is something we discuss in our book and it makes complicated questions simple.

The "isosceles right triangle" part is logical deduction, getting the altitude is mechanical but splitting the altitude into r and sqrt(2)r is again logic.

Overall, a high level question. Such a question is more likely in DS format.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4057 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
shreyas wrote:

(A) \(\pi\)

(B) \(6.3 \pi\)

(C) \(4 \pi\)

(D) \(\frac{\pi}{2}\)

(E) \(\frac{3 \pi}{2}\)

Asked: If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approximate area of the largest circle that can be inscribed in this triangle?

Largest circle is formed when the sides of right triangle are equal.
Let the sides of right triangle be x
\(x + x + x\sqrt{2} = (2 + \sqrt{2}) x = 20\)
\(\sqrt{2}(1 + \sqrt{2})x = 20\)
\(x = 10\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{2}-1)\)

To find altitude from right angle to hypotenuse.
\(x^2 = Altitude * x \sqrt{2}\)
\(Altitude = x/\sqrt{2}\)

\(Altitude = r + r\sqrt{2} = r (\sqrt{2} +1)\)

\(x/\sqrt{2} = r (\sqrt{2} +1)\)
\(10(\sqrt{2}-1) = r (\sqrt{2} +1)\)
Multiplying both sides by \((\sqrt{2}-1)\)
\(10 (2 + 1 - 2\sqrt{2}) = r\)
\(r = 10 ( 3- 2\sqrt{2})\)
Area of largest circle \(= \pi r^2 = \pi 100(9 +8 - 12\sqrt{2}) = \pi 100(17 - 12\sqrt{2}) = 2.94\pi\)

IMO C

Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Since I have not included any approximations while solving this problem, the correct answer is \(2.94\pi\), I think \(3 \pi\) should have been included in the answer choices. There is a difference of >33% from the closest answer choice of \(4 \pi\)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65750 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kinshook wrote:
shreyas wrote:

(A) \(\pi\)

(B) \(6.3 \pi\)

(C) \(4 \pi\)

(D) \(\frac{\pi}{2}\)

(E) \(\frac{3 \pi}{2}\)

Asked: If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approximate area of the largest circle that can be inscribed in this triangle?

Largest circle is formed when the sides of right triangle are equal.
Let the sides of right triangle be x
\(x + x + x\sqrt{2} = (2 + \sqrt{2}) x = 20\)
\(\sqrt{2}(1 + \sqrt{2})x = 20\)
\(x = 10\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{2}-1)\)

To find altitude from right angle to hypotenuse.
\(x^2 = Altitude * x \sqrt{2}\)
\(Altitude = x/\sqrt{2}\)

\(Altitude = r + r\sqrt{2} = r (\sqrt{2} +1)\)

\(x/\sqrt{2} = r (\sqrt{2} +1)\)
\(10(\sqrt{2}-1) = r (\sqrt{2} +1)\)
Multiplying both sides by \((\sqrt{2}-1)\)
\(10 (2 + 1 - 2\sqrt{2}) = r\)
\(r = 10 ( 3- 2\sqrt{2})\)
Area of largest circle \(= \pi r^2 = \pi 100(9 +8 - 12\sqrt{2}) = \pi 100(17 - 12\sqrt{2}) = 2.94\pi\)

IMO C

Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Since I have not included any approximations while solving this problem, the correct answer is \(2.94\pi\), I think \(3 \pi\) should have been included in the answer choices. There is a difference of >33% from the closest answer choice of \(4 \pi\)

I have given my views on this in the comment above yours.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 833 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93581 posts