It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:19

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2014, 09:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (02:32) correct 37% (03:14) wrong based on 86 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approximate area of the largest circle that can be inscribed in this triangle?

(A) \(\pi\)

(B) \(6.3 \pi\)

(C) \(4 \pi\)

(D) \(\frac{\pi}{2}\)

(E) \(\frac{3 \pi}{2}\)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Oct 2017, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 71

GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2014, 21:52
Largest circle inscribed inside a right triangle is when the circle's diameter is maximized...this is a 45/45/90 right triangle.

With perimeter given as 20

a + a + (a)sqrt2 = 20
a(2 + sqrt2) = 20
a=20/(3.41) ~ 6

Radius of an inscribed circle in a right triangle is the sum of the legs - the hypotenuse divided by 2.

12 - 6(1.41) / 2
=6-3(1.41)
=3(2-1.41)
~1.8

A=pi(1.8)^2
~4pi

C

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 189

Schools: LBS '17
Re: If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 08:27
m3equals333 wrote:

Radius of an inscribed circle in a right triangle is the sum of the legs - the hypotenuse divided by 2.

Is that a rule or was this derived somehow ?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 189

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 169 [2], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The best strategy to solve this problem is to just dive in.

Largest circle inscribed within a right triangle means that this is a isosceles right triangle. For an isosceles right triangle there are two equal sides a. Using the Pythagoream theorem you can determine that the hypotenuse side:

\(a^2\) + \(a^2\) = \(c^2\)
Thus, c = \(\sqrt{2}a\)

With that in mind, the perimeter of the triangle is 20 units.

\(a + a + \sqrt{2}a\) = 20
a ~ 6

Now, look at the diagram shown below. For a right triangle with sides a, b, and hypotenuse c, the area is \(A = \frac{1}{2}ab\)

The inradius can be found by equating the area of the triangle ABC with sum of the areas of the triangles ACI, BCI and ABI.

The altitudes for these triangles serve as the inradii for the circle. Let's call this radius (shown in red), r. This gives us

\(\frac{1}{2}ab = \frac{1}{2}ra + \frac{1}{2}rb + \frac{1}{2}rc = \frac{1}{2}r(a + b + c)\)

Solving for r gives \(r = \frac{ab}{a + b + c}\)

In this case we already established above that \(a = b\) and \(c = \sqrt{2}a\) and that \(a = 6\)
Thus, using these values we establish that the radius of the circle, \(r = 1.8\)

Plugging this into the formula for area of a circle, \(A = pi (1.8)^2\)
This gives us approx. \(4pi\)

Thus, the answer is C

For more Right Triangle properties, check out: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RightTriangle.html

Hope this helps! Good luck studying!
Attachments

right triangle.jpg
right triangle.jpg [ 26.23 KiB | Viewed 2103 times ]

Kudos [?]: 169 [2], given: 12

Retired Moderator

GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 16:29
amz14 wrote:
m3equals333 wrote:

Is that a rule or was this derived somehow ?

Hi - Yes, it is a rule, but understanding how it is derived is important. I strongly recommend you check out the GMAT Club Free Math book:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18128 [0], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 20:16
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shreyas wrote:
If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approximate area of the largest circle that can be inscribed in this triangle?

(A) pi
(B) 6.3 pi
(C) 4 pi
(D) pi/2
(E) 3 pi/2

Solving this question using basic geometry:

First think, what kind of right triangle will have the largest circle inscribed in it? How will you split the 20 units of the perimeter among the three sides?

You can vary the length of the two legs and the hypotenuse will be already defined. If you keep the length of the two legs very different from each other, the circle you can inscribe in the triangle will be very small. As you make the lengths equal, the circle keeps getting bigger. So this should help you realize that you are looking for an isosceles right triangle.
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 17.88 KiB | Viewed 2041 times ]

\(S + S + \sqrt{2}*S = 20\)
\(S = 20/(2+\sqrt{2})\)
\(S = 10(2 - \sqrt{2}) = 6\) approximately (actually it is smaller than 6 but taking \(\sqrt{2} = 1.4\) helps approximate. Ideally, they should have mentioned this value of root 2 in the question since the calculations are tedious otherwise)

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg
Ques4.jpg [ 15.37 KiB | Viewed 2034 times ]

Now notice that we can calculate area of the triangle in two ways:
(1/2)*leg1*leg2 = (1/2)*Altitude*Hypotenuse

\(6 * 6 = Altitude * \sqrt{2} * 6\)

\(Altitude = 3\sqrt{2} = r + \sqrt{2}r\)

\(r = 3*\sqrt{2}*(\sqrt{2} - 1)\)

\(r = 3*1.4*.4 = 1.7\)

Area of circle \(= \pi*r^2 = \pi*1.7^2 = 3.89\pi\) approximately

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 22:23
we have formula for radius of circle, insribed to equilateral triangle:

r=a*sqrt3/6, where a is a side of triangle, so

r=20/3*sqrt3/6=10*sqrt3/6

r^2=(10*sqrt3/6)^2=100/27=3.7, so

area=3.7pi or 4pi

C

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 41

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 16:19
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shreyas wrote:

(A) pi
(B) 6.3 pi
(C) 4 pi
(D) pi/2
(E) 3 pi/2

First think, what kind of right triangle will have the largest circle inscribed in it? How will you split the 20 units of the perimeter among the three sides?

You can vary the length of the two legs and the hypotenuse will be already defined. If you keep the length of the two legs very different from each other, the circle you can inscribe in the triangle will be very small. As you make the lengths equal, the circle keeps getting bigger. So this should help you realize that you are looking for an isosceles right triangle.
Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

\(S = 20/(2+\sqrt{2})\)
\(S = 10(2 - \sqrt{2}) = 6\) approximately (actually it is smaller than 6 but taking \(\sqrt{2} = 1.4\) helps approximate. Ideally, they should have mentioned this value of root 2 in the question since the calculations are tedious otherwise)

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg

\(r = 3*1.4*.4 = 1.7\)

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma
This is quite tough problem. Do you think is possible on test day to face such problem. I think even in 3 minutes is quite hard to get to the solution .

Anyway I would like to point something that I found in your solution and of course correct me if I'm wrong.

So you wrote \(1.7^2 = 3.89\) but \(1.7^2 = 2.89\) now can we round up 2.89 to 4, other than that we can see that the answers are quite far.

Thanks a lot

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 105

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 17:22
kzivrev wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shreyas wrote:

(A) pi
(B) 6.3 pi
(C) 4 pi
(D) pi/2
(E) 3 pi/2

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg

\(S = 20/(2+\sqrt{2})\)

Attachment:
Ques4.jpg

\(r = 3*1.4*.4 = 1.7\)

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma
This is quite tough problem. Do you think is possible on test day to face such problem. I think even in 3 minutes is quite hard to get to the solution .

Anyway I would like to point something that I found in your solution and of course correct me if I'm wrong.

So you wrote \(1.7^2 = 3.89\) but \(1.7^2 = 2.89\) now can we round up 2.89 to 4, other than that we can see that the answers are quite far.

Thanks a lot

You are right. A much closer value is about \(2.94 * \pi\) and that would mean about \(3*\pi\).
\(4*\pi\) is too much of a stretch but there are no options closer to this value.

The likelihood of such a question in actual GMAT is not very high though it is based on very basic concepts. Also, this formula,
Leg1 * Leg2 = Altitude*Hypotenuse comes in very handy. It is something we discuss in our book and it makes complicated questions simple.

The "isosceles right triangle" part is logical deduction, getting the altitude is mechanical but splitting the altitude into r and sqrt(2)r is again logic.

Overall, a high level question. Such a question is more likely in DS format.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 11:05
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 11:05

If the perimeter of a right triangle is 20 units, what is the approxim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap