Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 16:44 It is currently 08 May 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Economics, International Business
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Evaluate Profile [#permalink]
I was recently given the opportunity to pursue a undergraduate in Financial Economics for near free, I wonder if strong grades in this program would help out my cause of going to a top ranked MBA program.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
mbailey2 wrote:
I was recently given the opportunity to pursue a undergraduate in Financial Economics for near free, I wonder if strong grades in this program would help out my cause of going to a top ranked MBA program.

Army captains with 710 GMAT's get into Columbia all the time, not with 2.1 GPA's though. Create an alternative transcript, and you have a decent shot. A 2.1 is going to be hard to overcome regardless though.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
mbailey2 wrote:
Due to my low undergraduate GPA I'm wondering about the quality of B-school I can get into.

1) Full-time work experience
US Army - Captain - Battery Commander (current job)
• Performed exceptionally well in positions of leadership, training management, and operational planning.
• 1 year of project management experience in Iraq where I was responsible for project nomination and management of $15 million in reconstruction projects (ranging from building elementary schools to courthouses).
• 9 months Network Manager Experience

National Life Group (Sentinel Funds)
• Investment Representative Intern- 1 year of experience managing customer accounts.

2) GMAT Score

3) College info:
• Norwich University, VT
• Bachelor of Science, Major in Computer Information Systems (Emphasis in Information Security)
• 2.1 GPA – Experienced a lot of anxiety over a future career in the military. During my time in school a friend and mentor was killed, and two of my friends became amputees.
• ROTC Cadet, Varsity Lacrosse player, and member of Association of Computing Machinery.

4) Extra-curriculars
• Big Brother Big Sisters - 1 year

5) Certifications
• Network+

6)Languages
• Fluent in Spanish
• Non fluent speaking knowledge of Arabic

7)Letters of Recommendation
• 1 Army General
• 1 US State Department Consulate General

8) Target Programs
Looking for best program I can get into, but I'm wondering if any of these schools will take me with my GPA.
• Most preferred: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg, Johnson, Wharton
• Preferred: Darden, McDonough, Boston University, Carroll, George Mason
• Least Preferred: Pamplin, University of Vermont, Howard University, Fox
• Safety: Norwich University

9) Post-MBA goal
• Project Management, IT Consultancy, Government Contracting.

Leaving aside that one massive blemish on your application, you have a pretty great profile. The problem is what to do with that blemish. I think an "alternative transcript" can help, but only a wee bit. Honestly, if you are going to get into the schools you listed with such a massively low GPA it is gonna be the STORY you tell that will get you in. Why did you mess up so royally? What were the causes of this awful GPA? What have you learned since then? How can you PROVE that a) you have changed and b) you are academically capable. A deep, insightful, introspective essay is worth a LOT in cases like yours where really your base profile is quite nice, but there's just one major sucky thing inside. :) I'd also say, that if you are aiming high, plan to apply to more schools. Most people will apply to 4-5. Plan on applying to 7-8 instead just to cover yourself. And have a plan B. I think ultimately you might be able to do as well as you hope if you have totally awesome essays and recs.

Hope this helps,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
mbailey2 wrote:
Due to my low undergraduate GPA I'm wondering about the quality of B-school I can get into.

1) Full-time work experience
US Army - Captain - Battery Commander (current job)
• Performed exceptionally well in positions of leadership, training management, and operational planning.
• 1 year of project management experience in Iraq where I was responsible for project nomination and management of $15 million in reconstruction projects (ranging from building elementary schools to courthouses).
• 9 months Network Manager Experience

National Life Group (Sentinel Funds)
• Investment Representative Intern- 1 year of experience managing customer accounts.

2) GMAT Score

3) College info:
• Norwich University, VT
• Bachelor of Science, Major in Computer Information Systems (Emphasis in Information Security)
• 2.1 GPA – Experienced a lot of anxiety over a future career in the military. During my time in school a friend and mentor was killed, and two of my friends became amputees.
• ROTC Cadet, Varsity Lacrosse player, and member of Association of Computing Machinery.

4) Extra-curriculars
• Big Brother Big Sisters - 1 year

5) Certifications
• Network+

6)Languages
• Fluent in Spanish
• Non fluent speaking knowledge of Arabic

7)Letters of Recommendation
• 1 Army General
• 1 US State Department Consulate General

8) Target Programs
Looking for best program I can get into, but I'm wondering if any of these schools will take me with my GPA.
• Most preferred: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg, Johnson, Wharton
• Preferred: Darden, McDonough, Boston University, Carroll, George Mason
• Least Preferred: Pamplin, University of Vermont, Howard University, Fox
• Safety: Norwich University

9) Post-MBA goal
• Project Management, IT Consultancy, Government Contracting.

Leaving aside that one massive blemish on your application, you have a pretty great profile. The problem is what to do with that blemish. I think an "alternative transcript" can help, but only a wee bit. Honestly, if you are going to get into the schools you listed with such a massively low GPA it is gonna be the STORY you tell that will get you in. Why did you mess up so royally? What were the causes of this awful GPA? What have you learned since then? How can you PROVE that a) you have changed and b) you are academically capable. A deep, insightful, introspective essay is worth a LOT in cases like yours where really your base profile is quite nice, but there's just one major sucky thing inside. :) I'd also say, that if you are aiming high, plan to apply to more schools. Most people will apply to 4-5. Plan on applying to 7-8 instead just to cover yourself. And have a plan B. I think ultimately you might be able to do as well as you hope if you have totally awesome essays and recs.

Hope this helps,

I've been wondering whether its worth even a small financial commitment to pursue a second undergraduate degree. If it won't strengthen my profile I may opt to save my time and money.
Send PM
Hey mbailey2,

I think building an alternative transcript is definitely something you should consider doing. Even if you go through and say, "Look, here's why I screwed up, and here's what I've learned from it", that won't change the 2.1. An alternative transcript will help. Because taking a few alternate classes (especially ones that set you up for an MBA) will say, "Look, here's why I screwed up, here's what I learned from it, and here's what I've done to try to fix it." That's a stronger sentence.

Bhavik
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pursuing a second UG degree seems a bit extreme, and not very efficient. Better to just own up to the past in an essay.
Send PM
I just realized I wasn't clear on that point - yes - I agree with Jon. An alternative transcript doesn't equal a second degree!

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot