Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619695 [12]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619695 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-14-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11 [#permalink]
I havent chosen answer D because i was confused by the word "examples". there is just one example so i thought this is a trap and chose A because there was no other convincing choice. Am i super pedantic or is the word "examples" incorrect and there should be "example" ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: LBS '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Banach334 wrote:
I havent chosen answer D because i was confused by the word "examples". there is just one example so i thought this is a trap and chose A because there was no other convincing choice. Am i super pedantic or is the word "examples" incorrect and there should be "example" ?

I chose A for the same reasoning. There is just one example.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
paddy41 wrote:
Banach334 wrote:

I chose A for the same reasoning. There is just one example.

V05-10 Option D amended. Thank you for pointing out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
in my understanding discussing is considering strong and weak sides of the subject.
Paragraph 1 introduces new method, par.2 describes the equipment and par.3 gives successful example. Where is discussion?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Option B states - "psychological treatment."

Whereas Paragraph 1 states - "psychodynamic treatment" are these the same?

I will like to differ with option B being correct due to the above gap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
Send PM
How do we infer that psychological & psychodynamic have same meaning?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
There is a typo in "A well-known example of successful play therapy is documented in Dr. Virginia Axline’s book Dibs in Search of Self. Dibs is an emotionally disturbed 5-year-old whose teachers fear he may have brain damage."

"whose teachers fear he may have brain damage?"

Is not "whose teachers fear may have brain damage" correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
I don't agree that the primary purpose of the passage is to discuss the goals and procedures of a form of psychological treatment. Please list for me the goals of play therapy discussed in the section. The goal of any therapy is to help the patient. What other goals are discussed, unique to play therapy? Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I chose option C : "The therapist’s task is to accept the child unconditionally" for the question, "According to the passage, which of the following is a reason that play therapists help disturbed children express their emotions?". The question states which of the following is a reason that "play therapists" help disturbed children express their emotions. The answer that has been stated is "Children can resolve their own anxieties once they have been aided in expression." This is the outcome of the therapy but can this outcome directly be attributed to the therapists role? I chose "The therapist’s task is to accept the child unconditionally." because the passage clearly states that out of the two tasks that therapists have to do, one is this. Overall, the therapy results in outcome: Children can resolve their own anxieties.

Could you please clarify why this is not right and the answer stated is right in this context. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Hey Guys,

Between B and C . I chose C because the passage tells us about an approach (play therapy) along with an example in 3rd paragraph.
i thought psychological and psycho-dynamic are two different treatments. Later i realized "emotional upset" is psychological.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A form of psychodynamic treatment, play therapy takes for granted the fact that, once aided in expression, children are able to resolve their anxieties themselves.

The only definition of play therapy provided is - a form of 'psychodynamic' treatment. No mention of the word psychological. Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I don't agree with the explanation of this question.

The question clearly focuses on the reasons why therapist are helping children to express their emotions. The reason is because they don't force them to express themselves as adults and the objective is that children can resolve their own anxieties once they have been aided in expression. But the question is asking for the reasons not the objective, hence correct answer should be A.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
1. According to the passage, which of the following is a reason that play therapists help disturbed children express their emotions?

(a) Children express themselves through a different medium than adults.
(b) Children sometimes experience emotional upset or trauma.
(c) The therapist’s task is to accept the child unconditionally.
(d) Therapists observe children’s behavior and recognize the emotions being expressed.
(e) Children can resolve their own anxieties once they have been aided in expression.

This is certainly a high-quality question.

Although I got this right the first time, while reviewing the same I realized that the first question could be interpreted in two ways:
    i) What is play therapists' purpose of helping children express their emotions? (intended meaning)
    ii) What is the reason that play therapists are more effective at helping children express their emotions?

I feel the second interpretation makes the question more ambiguous leading to confusion among choices A, D and E.

Did anyone else also interpret the question this way or am I reading too much into this?
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Kudos
GmatDisciple wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
1. According to the passage, which of the following is a reason that play therapists help disturbed children express their emotions?

(a) Children express themselves through a different medium than adults.
(b) Children sometimes experience emotional upset or trauma.
(c) The therapist’s task is to accept the child unconditionally.
(d) Therapists observe children’s behavior and recognize the emotions being expressed.
(e) Children can resolve their own anxieties once they have been aided in expression.

This is certainly a high-quality question.

Although I got this right the first time, while reviewing the same I realized that the first question could be interpreted in two ways:
    i) What is play therapists' purpose of helping children express their emotions? (intended meaning)
    ii) What is the reason that play therapists are more effective at helping children express their emotions?

I feel the second interpretation makes the question more ambiguous leading to confusion among choices A, D and E.

Did anyone else also interpret the question this way or am I reading too much into this?
Thanks!

Same. I tried to answer this question by rephrasing it "Why do play therapists help disturbed children express their emotions?" (and my answer was it's their job!!!, or because they like to do that?). I couldn't find a good answer. I don't think this is a high-quality question since the way it's phrased is very off.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun MentorTutoring guys could you please help me out.

Quote:

psychodynamic treatment, play therapy takes for granted the fact that, once aided in expression, children are able to resolve their anxieties themselves.

How is it possible that when play therapy takes children ability to self-heal for granted and that same ability becomes a reason for helping children. I feel very confused.

Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6862 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
AjiteshArun MentorTutoring guys could you please help me out.

Quote:

psychodynamic treatment, play therapy takes for granted the fact that, once aided in expression, children are able to resolve their anxieties themselves.

How is it possible that when play therapy takes children ability to self-heal for granted and that same ability becomes a reason for helping children. I feel very confused.

Hello, hero_with_1000_faces. I understand the confusion. I spent a little more time than I would typically on an RC question debating between (A) and (E) before I settled on (E). Since the question is asking about a reason, I found it useful to preface each answer with because and evaluate that way.

Bunuel wrote:

(a) because children express themselves through a different medium than adults.

This could suggest that it takes a professional such as a play therapist to allow children to express their emotions in a way that, in turn, allows the adult to help the child. At the same time, this answer choice feels one step removed, more like it answers a what condition than a why. That is, does this information answer the question of why play therapists help disturbed children express their emotions? I am not so sure. I yellow-lighted this answer and moved on, looking for other options that might prove easier to argue against.

Bunuel wrote:
(b) because children sometimes experience emotional upset or trauma.

We know children can sometimes experience these things. This is a fact, rather than an explanation. An easy elimination.

Bunuel wrote:
(c) because the therapist’s task is to accept the child unconditionally.

We gain some insight into the aim or goal of the therapist, but none whatsoever about the reason for the therapist to help the child in the first place. Keep moving.

Bunuel wrote:
(d) because therapists observe children’s behavior and recognize the emotions being expressed.

The connection to the question is tenuous, here outlining what a therapist does in general, but providing little in the way of why a therapist would choose to help a child. A similar if spur-of-the-moment comparison would be something like saying that someone knows how to run, but the question is asking about why that person chooses to run marathons. Another weak link.

Bunuel wrote:
(e) because children can resolve their own anxieties once they have been aided in expression.

If, as you have singled out already, play therapy takes for granted the fact that, once aided in expression, children are able to resolve their anxieties themselves, then we can assume that play therapists must also believe that it takes aid, namely their professional aid, to allow children to resolve their issues. This does provide a reason for play therapists to offer their services. I think you overlooked the trigger in the chain of events: once aided in expression. Without that aid, according to the tenets of play therapy, children will not be able to resolve their own anxieties. Between this answer choice and (A), this one offers a more direct and compelling reason for play therapists to ply their trade.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Thank you for tagging me.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11 [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks for your detailed answer andrew. MentorTutoring
Still some confusion:

The question states that "which of the following is a reason that play therapists help disturbed children express their emotions?"
Ill try to reword the question stem - "Why do play therapists help children"

play therapy takes for granted the fact that, once aided in expression, children are able to resolve their anxieties themselves.

My confusion is when the This therapy do not appreciate something as much as they are supposed to (take for granted) i.e children can resolve issues once aided, how can it become a reason for the practitioners of such therapist to do so. Why would they do it ? they might do it, but the tone makes it as if it is not the reason.

Am I overthinking ? guess we shouldn't fret much on unofficial questions.

Originally posted by hero_with_1000_faces on 05 Jun 2020, 07:26.
Last edited by hero_with_1000_faces on 06 Jun 2020, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11 [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts