It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 132771 [0], given: 12372

V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
When children experience emotional upset or trauma, their problems are sometimes made worse by well-meaning adults who either don’t notice their distress or insist that they express themselves through an adult medium: verbal language. Play therapy, on the other hand, recognizes that imaginative play is the mode of expression most comfortable and natural to children and focuses on helping them express their emotions. A form of psychodynamic treatment, play therapy takes for granted the fact that, once aided in expression, children are able to resolve their anxieties themselves.

The equipment of play therapy is simple and familiar. Dolls, play dishes, soldiers, stuffed animals, and sandboxes all have their place in the play therapy room. The job of the therapist, however, is a bit more challenging, because he or she must refrain from guiding the child in a particular direction or asking pointed questions. The therapist’s task is partly to observe the child’s play and recognize the child’s emotions and help bring them to expression. The second, very important, task is for the therapist to accept the child unconditionally.

A well-known example of successful play therapy is documented in Dr. Virginia Axline’s book Dibs in Search of Self. Dibs is an emotionally disturbed 5-year-old whose teachers fear he may have brain damage. In his play therapy sessions with Dr. Axline, however, a different picture emerges. Dibs’ play with a dollhouse and several dolls reveals that he feels cut off from his family and that he is angry with them for locking him in his room. This theme is repeated in play with animals in the room’s sandbox; he frees them from captivity again and again. During the sessions, Dr. Axline is careful not to express preference for any of Dibs’ activities, and most of her comments are simply reflecting back to him what he has just said. Additionally, through her choices to help him express his anger rather than offering him comfort in it, Dr. Axline fosters in Dibs a sense of emotional independence. At the end of the case study, Dibs has emerged as a content, intelligent, compassionate child.
1. According to the passage, which of the following is a reason that play therapists help disturbed children express their emotions?

(a) Children express themselves through a different medium than adults.
(b) Children sometimes experience emotional upset or trauma.
(c) The therapist’s task is to accept the child unconditionally.
(d) Therapists observe children’s behavior and recognize the emotions being expressed.
(e) Children can resolve their own anxieties once they have been aided in expression.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the author considers play therapy to be a

(a) sound and useful approach to helping emotionally disturbed children
(b) pleasant and diverting way for children to spend their time
(c) new and exciting way of understanding the experience of childhood
(d) hazardous but necessary method of reaching out to troubled children
(e) universally applicable solution to all problems with children’s behavior
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

3. Which of the following best describes the relationship of paragraph 3 to paragraph 2?

(a) New information is introduced that qualifies earlier statements.
(b) An exception to previously stated rules is discussed.
(c) Important concepts detailed beforehand are rephrased in briefer form.
(d) General principles introduced earlier are expanded using a specific example.
(e) Concepts essential to further study of the subject are outlined.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

4. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(a) convince the reader that adults often misunderstand children.
(b) discuss the goals and procedures of a form of psychological treatment.
(c) demonstrate the effectiveness of an approach using examples.
(d) relate the history of an emotionally disturbed child.
(e) offer guidance to adults who wish to better understand children.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re: V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:24
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question V05-08 explanation
Since this question uses the phrase according to the passage, the answer is stated in the passage. Aside from the general tone in the passage that play therapy is intended to help children, only this line relate a specific reason: play therapy takes for granted the fact that, once aided in expression, children are able to resolve their anxieties themselves.
  1. This is stated in the first paragraph, but is not a reason for play therapists to help children express emotion.
  2. Though true, this is not directly stated as a reason.
  3. This information comes from the second and third paragraphs, but is a method not a reason.
  4. Though this is an activity of the therapist, it is not a reason for helping the child express emotion.
  5. This option correctly identifies that fact that the purpose of helping children express their emotions through play therapy is to allow them to resolve their anxieties themselves.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question V05-09 explanation
An inference is drawn from stated information and, in this case, must come from information in the entire passage. The first paragraph relates the reasons for play therapy, and the second and third paragraphs describe its general principles, both abstractly and then using examples. Since the author goes into so much detail about play therapy, it is likely that he or she regards it as something sound and useful.
  1. The passage contains only information about what play therapy is and how it can be successful; therefore it is reasonable to conclude that the author regards it as a sound and useful approach.
  2. The passage is not concerned with whether play therapy is pleasant or diverting.
  3. It is not stated in the passage that play therapy is new.
  4. The passage places confidence in play therapy and does not infer that it is hazardous.
  5. The first paragraph states that play therapy is useful mostly for children who have experienced emotional upset or trauma.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question V05-10 explanation
To answer this question, review paragraphs 2 and 3 to determine their main ideas. Paragraph 2 discusses in general terms the equipment of play therapy and the responsibilities of the therapist. Paragraph 3 covers these same topics, but using the example of Dr. Axline’s work with the child Dibs.
  1. New information is introduced, but it does not qualify earlier statements.
  2. An exception to rules is not discussed.
  3. Important concepts reappear, but they are expanded, not presented in briefer form.
  4. The general principles of play therapy equipment and responsibilities of the therapist are expanded using the example of Dr. Axline’s work with Dibs.
  5. The purpose of paragraph 3 is not to outline concepts essential to further study.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question V05-11 explanation
To answer this question, consider the passage as a whole and determine its main point. The first paragraph introduces the need for and goals of play therapy. The second and third paragraphs discuss the equipment and responsibilities of the therapist, first generally, then using the example of a specific case study.
  1. This idea is mentioned in the first paragraph, but is not the main idea of the passage.
  2. The first paragraph introduces the goals of play therapy, and the second and third paragraphs discuss the procedures.
  3. Though the effectiveness of treatment is demonstrated in the third paragraph, this is not the main idea of the entire passage.
  4. Dibs’ history is not the main idea of the entire passage.
  5. Though this may be possible for those who learn about play therapy, it is not the primary purpose of this particular passage.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: HBS '18, ISB '16, IIMA
GMAT Date: 12-14-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 21:04
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. I have a concern of pronoun usage in the last sentence of last paragraph -----"Additionally, through -her- choices to help -him-(i assume this should be -her-) express -his-( same,-her-) anger rather than offering -him-(same,-her-) comfort in it, Dr. Axline fosters in Dibs a sense of emotional independence"-------

please comment on it

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 12:57
I havent chosen answer D because i was confused by the word "examples". there is just one example so i thought this is a trap and chose A because there was no other convincing choice. Am i super pedantic or is the word "examples" incorrect and there should be "example" ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 13:19
Banach334 wrote:
I havent chosen answer D because i was confused by the word "examples". there is just one example so i thought this is a trap and chose A because there was no other convincing choice. Am i super pedantic or is the word "examples" incorrect and there should be "example" ?

I chose A for the same reasoning. There is just one example.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3507 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 14:31
paddy41 wrote:
Banach334 wrote:

I chose A for the same reasoning. There is just one example.

V05-10 Option D amended. Thank you for pointing out.

Kudos [?]: 3507 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2017, 00:15
in my understanding discussing is considering strong and weak sides of the subject.
Paragraph 1 introduces new method, par.2 describes the equipment and par.3 gives successful example. Where is discussion?

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 41

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 00:15
Option B states - "psychological treatment."

Whereas Paragraph 1 states - "psychodynamic treatment" are these the same?

I will like to differ with option B being correct due to the above gap.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 01:10
How do we infer that psychological & psychodynamic have same meaning?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 16:02
There is a typo in "A well-known example of successful play therapy is documented in Dr. Virginia Axline’s book Dibs in Search of Self. Dibs is an emotionally disturbed 5-year-old whose teachers fear he may have brain damage."

"whose teachers fear he may have brain damage?"

Is not "whose teachers fear may have brain damage" correct?

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 16:05
I don't agree that the primary purpose of the passage is to discuss the goals and procedures of a form of psychological treatment. Please list for me the goals of play therapy discussed in the section. The goal of any therapy is to help the patient. What other goals are discussed, unique to play therapy? Thank you.

Re: V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2017, 16:05

V05-08, V05-09, V05-10, V05-11

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap