Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 08:43 It is currently 03 May 2024, 08:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
PMD8833 wrote:
Hi. Some opinions would be great. I am an international applicant who is really interested in Tuck, however I am almost considering not finishing my application given that I am an international applicant who does not have the luxury of interviewing on campus.
They must encounter this type of thing very often, but what type of disadvantage would I be facing if I do finish the app having not interviewed or attended any tuck events (simply out of remote location and inopportune online times)

I would say, finish your application. There are a number of people in my class who because of family or distance reasons couldn't self-initiate an interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [1]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Flyte wrote:
PMD8833 wrote:
Hi. Some opinions would be great. I am an international applicant who is really interested in Tuck, however I am almost considering not finishing my application given that I am an international applicant who does not have the luxury of interviewing on campus.
They must encounter this type of thing very often, but what type of disadvantage would I be facing if I do finish the app having not interviewed or attended any tuck events (simply out of remote location and inopportune online times)

I would say, finish your application. There are a number of people in my class who because of family or distance reasons couldn't self-initiate an interview.

I second Flyte on this. I talked to adcom and students, even happened to come across a Tuckie who was interning pretty close to my city. They all said something similar on the issue. "If you are an international applicant, and have a reasonable restriction (money and time are the most common ones), then it is totally OK to have an off-campus interview." Just be sure to mention on your application why you're not gonna interview on campus.
Good luck with the application... :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Anyone from India planning to visit Tuck for the Applicant Initiated Interview? Would be great if they could list down the visa process. I and a couple of friends are planning to visit Tuck and would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by DorkusMaximus on 04 Oct 2014, 00:16.
Last edited by DorkusMaximus on 04 Oct 2014, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
solerenegade wrote:
Anyone from India planning to visit Tuck for the Applicant Initiated Interview? Would be great if they could list down the visa process. I and a couple of friends are planning to visit the Tuck and would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!

anupamgupta2112 would be able to advise you ..
What round are you planning to apply in?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
solerenegade wrote:
Anyone from India planning to visit Tuck for the Applicant Initiated Interview? Would be great if they could list down the visa process. I and a couple of friends are planning to visit Tuck and would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!

anupamgupta2112 would be able to advise you ..
What round are you planning to apply in?

Thanks! Planning to apply in the November round.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
In 2 days we'll have Tuck's EA deadline. Cheers to all who are in for EA!

P.S. Website has no info about the dates when Tuck will start sending interview calls to those who didn't have applicant initiated interview. Did anyone happen to ask the adcom? :?:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Just submitted for EA, all the best to everyone who's applying!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
chairman14 wrote:

I am still wondering whether to address my acads in the optional essay or not. I was in top quarter, but scored 69.05%. Not sure how the adcom is gonna view the issue being highlighted by me. :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
chairman14 wrote:

I am still wondering whether to address my acads in the optional essay or not. I was in top quarter, but scored 69.05%. Not sure how the adcom is gonna view the issue being highlighted by me. :?

neo656 I am not too far off on the GPA scale and its definitely the weakest part of my application. However, i think you can highlight it in your optional essay if you feel its necessary. In my case I don't have any specific reasons for not having a stellar undergraduate gpa that can be classified as extenuating :P. My understanding is that they might compare it across the applicants from your region/country and see how you have fared. Don't worry, hopefully that 760 will shine enough to neutralize it :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
chairman14 wrote:
neo656 I am not too far off on the GPA scale and its definitely the weakest part of my application. However, i think you can highlight it in your optional essay if you feel its necessary. In my case I don't have any specific reasons for not having a stellar undergraduate gpa that can be classified as extenuating :P. My understanding is that they might compare it across the applicants from your region/country and see how you have fared. Don't worry, hopefully that 760 will shine enough to neutralize it :)

Thanks chairman... your words are encouraging... :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: “The Tuck School and its Center For Business & Society Get It.”

By Avi Sethi T’16

It was past 10 p.m. on August 14th when I arrived in Hanover, NH.

While this marked the end of a cross-country road-trip which had started in Palo Alto, CA, it also marked the start of a new journey. There was both a sense of excitement and nervousness that night about embarking on the next two years of my life as an MBA student at the Tuck School of Business. As a former Teach For America corps member, strategy consultant with Accenture, and venture associate with the NewSchools Venture Fund investing in early stage ed-tech startups, coming to Tuck, for me, was about three things:

1. Being in a rigorous academic environment which pushed my thinking, rounded out my managerial skills, and filled in any knowledge gaps I had in accounting, statistics, etc.

2. Developing life-long friendships with the future business leaders in my class as well as opening up my network to a group of alumni passionate about the common bonds we shared, and finally…

3. Making a targeted professional jump – bringing together the different experiences I had gained and finding a career path that would both take advantage of my unique skill-set and provide me with the kind of challenges I was looking to work on next.

Being nervous that first night and my first few days was natural for anyone uprooting their life and moving across the country to start his MBA. Half of that nervousness, though, was rooted in wondering if Tuck was truly the right school to catalyze my career shift. When I had applied to business schools, the half-dozen I had chosen were picked because of their fit with the three things (above) I was looking to get out of my two year investment. While Tuck had an unbeatable reputation with my first two goals (academics and culture), I wasn’t fully convinced Tuck was going to allow me to achieve my lofty career-transition goals.

Don’t get me wrong. When it comes to more traditional routes, such as banking, consulting, or general management, Tuck has a placement record second to none. What I wanted, though, was something more unique—ideally in the impact investing space—which would require a more non-traditional search. While Tuck had been ranked in the top ten by US News in both Finance and Nonprofit, which would make it a strong fit for impact investing, I wasn’t so sure how committed the school was to seeing its management curriculum as a conduit for making social change (and in my case, finding ways to apply that to the K-12 education space).

Boy, was I wrong.

My first week at Tuck kicked off with Tuck Builds, a pre-orientation program. As part of Tuck Builds, I worked with a group of my classmates to construct a 65-foot ramp for a family living under the poverty line; one of the family members unable to walk out of her house due to disability. Not only was I given the opportunity to work with my hands at a real construction site – using a power saw, sledgehammer, nail gun, etc.—but our group leader also used our time together to reveal both the difficulties faced by many citizens in the Upper Valley, outside of Dartmouth’s oasis, as well as dare us to think about the ways our management education could make a dent in those issues. Further, my group was just one of many groups working on various other projects to improve the livelihood of the Upper Valley. All told, over 10% of our incoming class had chosen to come to campus early and take part in this annual tradition.

The next week during Orientation, one full day was committed to expanding Tuck’s reach in the Upper Valley through Allwin Community Outreach Day. 100% of Tuck’s incoming class worked with their study groups on consulting projects for local nonprofits. My study group was charged with helping a free medical and dental health clinic determine how to design and implement a marketing campaign. Seeing how invested each of my teammates was to improving the impact this local nonprofit could have on the community confirmed for me the type of people I would be spending my next two years with. Our group, like many others, even volunteered to provide some additional data analysis after Allwin Day, despite knowing how busy we were going to be during the first few weeks of school.

During a reception held later that night, both a student speaker and alumnus spoke about how the school had supported them when they decided to take the road less traveled. The student, Divya Belavadi T’15, spoke about taking the most non-traditional of internships this past summer … working at a farm and becoming a trusted advisor to the farm’s senior management team. The alumnus, Curt Welling D’71, T’77, had started his career in banking but then transitioned to spend 11 years as the President and CEO of Americares, a nonprofit global health and emergency response organization, before joining the Tuck School as a senior fellow with Tuck’s Center for Business & Society as well as the Center for Global Business & Government. During his talk, Mr. Welling noted that my class included numerous people who had worked with Teach For America, the Peace Corps, and the armed services, as well as many who had sat on the board of a nonprofit before coming to Tuck.

As I watch the leaves change color now, the nervousness I initially felt is long gone and has instead transformed into excitement about what the future holds for me over these next two years and after. Whether my next steps are taking one of the many socially or environmentally focused courses, doing a Tuck GIVES internship at a social impact organization over the summer, or perhaps doing something more entrepreneurial—like helping Tuck start its own social impact investing fund—I am wholly certain that I am at the best business school for me. In addition to the top-notch academics and a culture unique across all top MBA programs, Tuck is well positioned not only for those looking to follow more traditional career routes, but it is also a place where someone like me can thrive in my unique professional journey.

The Center for Business & Society at Tuck aims to prepare Tuck students for leadership in an increasingly complex, interconnected world. Business has become a significant agent of transformation, and business knowledge can be applied to community needs and world issues. The Center works to ensure that the changing issues at the intersection of business interests and society’s needs are a key component of our MBA education and a part of Tuck's broader scholarly activities. We host distinguished visitors, develop projects for academic credit,  provide opportunities to make an impact locally and globally, offer financial support for internships and jobs in the nonprofit and public sectors, support new cases and courses, and enable faculty research. 

(Top photo by Omar Abdelsamad T'16: Avi, 3rd from right, with his study group during Orientation. Bottom photo by Jack Swain T'16: Avi working during Tuck Builds.)
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GRE 1: Q660 V640

GRE 2: Q156 V157
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hi guys,

Anybody having trouble uploading transcripts? I keep on getting the message that my file sizes are too big, and have tried almost every conceivable way I know to reduce the MB count. Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pat622 wrote:
Hi guys,

Anybody having trouble uploading transcripts? I keep on getting the message that my file sizes are too big, and have tried almost every conceivable way I know to reduce the MB count. Thoughts?

Use this link https://convert.neevia.com/pdfcompress/index.aspx. Use the setting 'Maximum compression, very low image quality'. It worked for me, might work for you too. All the best...
:thumbup:
Let me know if it doesn't work. Will try to come up with better suggestions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GRE 1: Q660 V640

GRE 2: Q156 V157
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
neo656 wrote:
pat622 wrote:
Hi guys,

Use this link https://convert.neevia.com/pdfcompress/index.aspx. Use the setting 'Maximum compression, very low image quality'. It worked for me, might work for you too. All the best...

Thanks for the suggestion! It worked great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pat622 wrote:
neo656 wrote:
pat622 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestion! It worked great.

Glad to be of some help... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Application submitted. But I noticed a glitch.
Against the question - "Do you qualify for the TOEFL®/PTE Academic/IELTS™ requirement waiver?" I mentioned "Yes" and also mentioned my reason. This was visible in the proof. However, in the final pdf of the submitted application only this section is blank, rest all is OK. I'll be contacting the admissions office. But did anyone else too witnessed this issue?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
Application submitted. But I noticed a glitch.
Against the question - "Do you qualify for the TOEFL®/PTE Academic/IELTS™ requirement waiver?" I mentioned "Yes" and also mentioned my reason. This was visible in the proof. However, in the final pdf of the submitted application only this section is blank, rest all is OK. I'll be contacting the admissions office. But did anyone else too witnessed this issue?

Man these Tuck ppl are quick! Already got their response...
Quote:
Hi [neo656],
Thank you for your message.

Please be aware that the PDF preview file is an unofficial document and is not used by the institution. They will pull all of your answers directly from the online application, not the PDF preview file, into their databases. You can feel confident that your information should reach us correctly as long as the answers in the application have been completed.

You may want to check the pages of your form carefully before you submit it to ensure that your answers were saved properly.

Kind regards,
[*************]
Tuck Admissions

I checked that thing at least 5 times before submitting, if not more. I'm pretty sure it's a glitch. Waiting for more people to reply on this...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts