Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
AWAx   
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.97
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: Officlal GMAT AWA tool. GMAT WRITE. Practicing AWA [#permalink]
thewind wrote:
Prakhar24 wrote:
Hello, i was also trying to get the hang of the AWA..but i dont know from where i can get them checked..please suggest a source..and the AWA TOOL page was not found..

mba DOT com/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmat-write.aspx
Enjoy!

I guess it's not free...! One needs to purchase this like purchasing OG...

Any idea guys, whether there is any free GMAT AWA practice tool or something like that is available either from GMAT or any other other GMAT prep companies?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:
thewind wrote:
Prakhar24 wrote:
Hello, i was also trying to get the hang of the AWA..but i dont know from where i can get them checked..please suggest a source..and the AWA TOOL page was not found..

mba DOT com/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmat-write.aspx
Enjoy!

Any idea guys, whether there is any free GMAT AWA practice tool or something like that is available either from GMAT or any other other GMAT prep companies?

Hi guys,
Any update on this?

Looking forward to hear from you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
bagdbmba wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
thewind wrote:

Hi guys,
Any update on this?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Hey, there is one https://www.gmatawa.com/index.html
as example, it scored 6 point sample essay from the OG13 as 3.9
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
5 in all categories:
Several typos..

The author argues that the best way for Excelsior, a company creating a new brand of coffee, to attract customers is to mimic another well established company, Superior. The basis of the argument is flawed and is built on faulty assumptions. The author uses ambiguous language in his argument and makes a ridiculous comparison between two companies that are not equal.
The argument's first error is the ambiguity in the verbiage. The author uses the word "many" to describe the market of established brands of coffee, but what does that word really mean? The authoer doesnt tell the reader. Many is subjective and can have different meanings to different readers. Secondly, the author uses "expensive' to descirbe the coffee, but, once again, fails to define the word he or she is using. Expenisve in relation to what? For the argument to be more sound the author needs to use more specific language to build his argumnet. The ambiuos terminology leaves room for critics to easily attack the argument.
A more egregious error than the first is the author's assumption that Excelsior's coffee is equal to Superior's coffee. The auhtor fails to consider that Superior's initial marketing campaign was successful because their product was ultimatley superior to the competition. Excelsior can't mimic Superior's marketing strategy and expect the same results. There is a real possibility that Excelsior's coffee is subpar and that their marketing campaign will need to be creative in its attempt to earn customers.
The author also curiously fails to identify the specifics of Superior's customer; maybe the two companies are after a different target audience and each company needs to have vastly different marketing techniques to be successful. Also, considering that Superior has such a successful and established brand it might make more sense for Excelsior to target a different target audience.
Lastly, Superior is an established brand. It follows that their new marketing campaign's success stems from their already successful name. Excelsior, on the other hand, is a company that is new to this industry and needs to build the brand for the bottom The author makes an illogical and unfair comparison when he compares the leading company in the industry to a new upstart company. The author can't realistically expect the same results. A better comparison would be to another start up company in the industry that was succesful or by examining Superior's original marketing campaign. The original campaign might shed some light on how they became so successful.
In conclsuion the overall depth of the argument is lacking. The author uses too much terminology that can be widely ineterpreted. Most importantly, though, the author uses an illogical compariosn, therefore any conlsusions that stem from the argument should be questioned.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 2.93
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Got a 6, despite the spelling errors towards the end. Credit to Chineseburned for his template.

The argument claims that the best way to gain customers to the Excelsior brand of coffee is to mimic what Superior did and introduce the coffee with temporary sales promotion that offers free samples, price reductions, and discount coupons for the new brand. While the argument may have some merit; Stated this way, the argument reveals examples of leap of faith and poor reasoning while failing to mention several key factors on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion of the argument is unconvincing and has several flaws.
First, the argument readily assumes that by mimicing Superior, the leading coffee company,Excelsior can attract customers to its brand of coffee. This statement is a stretch because unlike Superior, the Excelsior is not well established in the coffee making industry. Superior may already have a customer base, a planned marketing theme and resources that allow them to promote their new brand. There is no evidence that the Excelsior are able to execute a promotion like Superior were able to do. The argument could have been much clear if it explicitly state that the Excelsior are in a similar situation as the Superior were when it was first being established.
Second, the argument once again assumes that the Excelsior Company can complete with Superior in terms of marketing and resources. The argument does not mention the budget constraints of the Excelsior company and whether or not they can afford such a promotion. In fact, it is not clear if the Excelsior company can survive a sales promotion that offers free samples, price reduction and discount coupons for their coffee. If the argument had provided evidence that the Excelsior Company has the resources to pull of such a promotion, then the argument would be much more convincing.
Finally, the argument fails to address the quality of the coffee that the Excelsior Company is trying to sell. There are many types of coffee and although the argument states that coffee is an expensive food item, it failed to establish what type of coffee the Excelsior Company is trying to sell. There is no evidence provided on whether or not any market research was done. What if the coffee is is similar to the brands that they are competing against? Perhaps even with the promotion, the Excelsior company will be unable to sell the coffee because there are no customers that want their coffee. Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is more of wishful thinking rather than substantiated evidence.
In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strenthened if the author clearly mention all the releveant facts. In order to assess the merit of this certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledged of all contriubting factors. In this particular case, factors such as budget constraints, market research and quality of the coffee are all necessary information. Without this information, the argument remains unsubstanitated and open to debate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Total Score 5
Analyzes the issue 5
Supports ideas 5
Organizes a coherent idea 5
Language control 5

This argument claims that Excelsior company plans to launch its own brand of coffee and to be successful in this venture it should emulate the practices of the leading coffee company Superior and conduct temporary sale promotions, have price reductions and offer discount coupons. Stated this way this argument fails to mention several key factors on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion is based on assumptions with little evidence and hence the argument ends up being weak and flawed.

Firstly, the author assumes that since the current leading coffee company provided promotions and reduced coffee prices, Excelsior should be adopting a similar strategy.However, the author fails to provide any conclusive data that these promotions were the key factor for the success of Superior,maybe it just had to do with the quality of the coffee that people likedand Superior's current success had nothing to do with their initial promotion of the product. This argument could be strengthened by providing such quantitative data or market analysis of how promotional marketing can lead to a brand's success.

Secondly, the author also alludes to the fact that since coffee is expensive and since many brands exist, Excelsior should be following in the footsteps of the leading coffee company i.e. Superior. The cost of the product has little bearing on this argument since it does not justify a product needing promotion. This point is unconvincing also due to the fact that, since there are already many coffee brands in the market , the author should have taken this premise to point towards a more logical conclusion such as Excelsior should differentiate themselves in the market space to be a leader rather than following the strategies of an already existing competitor.

Finally, the author is comparing two non-analogous situations in the argument. Excelsior company is planning to launch its own new brand of coffee whereas Superior ran the promotion while introducing a new line in their existing coffee. It is very much possible that the promotional sales worked for Superior since they already had previous coffees and the promotion was to promote a newer flavor or type of coffee which is very different than introducing a new brand of coffee altogether. This comparison is a stretch and the author could have strengthened the argument by providing a more accurate comparison.

In summary, the argument fails to mention the aforementioned facts and hence is unconvincing. It could be strengthened by providing more relevant data. In order to assess a situation, it is essential to have the complete knowledge of all the contributing factors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
soumya86 wrote:
Total Score 5
Analyzes the issue 5
Supports ideas 5
Organizes a coherent idea 5
Language control 5

This argument claims that Excelsior company plans to launch its own brand of coffee and to be successful in this venture it should emulate the practices of the leading coffee company Superior and conduct temporary sale promotions, have price reductions and offer discount coupons. Stated this way this argument fails to mention several key factors on the basis of which it could be evaluated. The conclusion is based on assumptions with little evidence and hence the argument ends up being weak and flawed.

Firstly, the author assumes that since the current leading coffee company provided promotions and reduced coffee prices, Excelsior should be adopting a similar strategy.However, the author fails to provide any conclusive data that these promotions were the key factor for the success of Superior,maybe it just had to do with the quality of the coffee that people likedand Superior's current success had nothing to do with their initial promotion of the product. This argument could be strengthened by providing such quantitative data or market analysis of how promotional marketing can lead to a brand's success.

Secondly, the author also alludes to the fact that since coffee is expensive and since many brands exist, Excelsior should be following in the footsteps of the leading coffee company i.e. Superior. The cost of the product has little bearing on this argument since it does not justify a product needing promotion. This point is unconvincing also due to the fact that, since there are already many coffee brands in the market , the author should have taken this premise to point towards a more logical conclusion such as Excelsior should differentiate themselves in the market space to be a leader rather than following the strategies of an already existing competitor.

Finally, the author is comparing two non-analogous situations in the argument. Excelsior company is planning to launch its own new brand of coffee whereas Superior ran the promotion while introducing a new line in their existing coffee. It is very much possible that the promotional sales worked for Superior since they already had previous coffees and the promotion was to promote a newer flavor or type of coffee which is very different than introducing a new brand of coffee altogether. This comparison is a stretch and the author could have strengthened the argument by providing a more accurate comparison.

In summary, the argument fails to mention the aforementioned facts and hence is unconvincing. It could be strengthened by providing more relevant data. In order to assess a situation, it is essential to have the complete knowledge of all the contributing factors.

These score are from GMAT tool or from this link : https://www.gmatawa.com/index.html ?

Can you please clarify ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi,

I bought this product some months ago.

When I attempted the first essay (The Excelsior Company Coffee) in June, the dimensions the system used to rate my essay were:
- Analyzes the issue
- Supports ideas
- Organizes a coherent idea
- Language control

Now, I attempted the second essay (Watchweek magazine) last weekend and the dimensions to rate my essay were completely different:
- Focus and Meaning
- Content and Development
- Organization
- Language Use and Style
- Mechanics and Conventions

Is this normal? Has everybody experienced this as well?

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Hi friends,

Sorry to recall this thread.

I have a question about Gmat AWA tool.I cannot find out the answer via google. Please help me to answer.

My friend bought Gmat AWA tool and gave me to logn in. I consider if i write all 4 essays and get score rated. Could my friend rewrite?

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I tried this tool today, and I got a total score of 5 (in each section).
Do you believe it is accurate?

Here the prompt:
The Excelsior Company plans to introduce its own brand of coffee. Since coffee is an expensive food item, and since there are already many established brands of coffee, the best way to gain customers for the Excelsior brand is to do what Superior, the leading coffee company, did when it introduced the newest brand in its line of coffees: conduct a temporary sales promotion that offers free samples, price reductions, and discount coupons for the new brand.

ANSWER
(I kept all the mistakes)
The argument claims that, since coffee is an expensive food item and since there is an huge number of established brands of coffee, the best way for the Excelsior Company to get new customers is to imitate what Superior, the leading coffee company, did when introduced new products. The author concludes that Excelsior Company should emulate the Superior's marketing and pricing strategy.
Stated in this way, the argument has many flaws and fails to demostrate a significative correlation between the premise and the conclusion.

First, the author assumes that imitating the leader's strategy is the best move for the Excelsior Company to gain customers. This assumptions is weak because the author fails to compare the two companies, therefore there is no evidence that trying to replicate the marketing strategy of Superior would result in a benefit for Excelsior. For example, the Excelsior Company could have not enough resources to afford price reductions, discounts, and free samples, and this aggressive marketing strategy would drammaticaly increase the losses of Excelsior.

Second, the argument is flawed because does not take into account other reasons that could have leaded the leading coffee company to reach its leader position. For instance, Superior could benefit of sinergies and high brand fidelity, while Excelsior could not rely on such assets. Moreover, the author does not bring any data regarding the financial state of the two companies, as a conseguence it is not possible to estimate the affortable marketing strategy.

Ultimaly, the author does not report any information about the overall demand of coffee products, and the level of concentration of the market. The argument assumes that it is profitable entering the coffee market based on the assumption that the coffee is an expansive item, but without any analisys regarding the profitability of the market there are no evidences of such claim. For example, only big companies could afford to be competitive because of scale economies or because of specific "know how" that Exceliors Company does not have at the moment.

In conlsion, the argumen is flawed for the reason above mentioned, and the author conclusion are not based on convincing evidences. The argument could be strengthened if the author would mention more data regarding the two companies (included the financial situation, consumers fidelity, and so on), the pofitability of the coffee market and the means that could help the Excelsior Company to compete in the market. Without these elements, the argument is weak and open to debate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Schools: AGSM '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Kudos