Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [31]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [12]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [3]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619724 [1]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Re: How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jp001 wrote:
How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible where A is not adjacent to B and D is not adjacent to E?

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 30
(E) 1

Similar question to practice: how-many-different-arrangements-of-a-b-c-d-and-e-are-pos-106764.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13401 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jp001 wrote:
How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible where A is not adjacent to B and D is not adjacent to E?

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 30
(E) 1

ALTERNATE METHOD:

We could make several cases to arrange them

Case 1: A takes first position of the 5 positions i.e. Arrangement looks like (A _ _ _ _)

The possibilities here as per favourable cases condition are
A D B E C
A D B C E
A E B D C
A E B C D
A D C B E
A E C B D
A C D B E
A C E B D
A D C E B
A E C D B
10 Cases

Case 2: A takes Second position of the 5 positions i.e. Arrangement looks like (_ A _ _ _)

D A E B C
E A D B C
D A C B E
E A C B D
C A D B E
C A E B D

D A E C B
E A D C B
D A C E B
E A C D B
10 Cases

Case 3: A takes Third position of the 5 positions i.e. Arrangement looks like (_ _ A _ _)

D C A E B
E C A D B
C D A E B
C E A D B
and 4 more cases which will be Mirror image of the above mentioned 4 cases i.e.
B E A C D
B D A C E
B E A D C
B D A E C
8 Cases

Case 4: A takes Forth position of the 5 positions i.e. Arrangement looks like (_ _ _ A _)[This case is mirror image of Case 2 hence same no. of arrangements will be obtained which will all be mirror image of arrangements of Case 2]
10 Cases

Case 5: A takes Fifth position of the 5 positions i.e. Arrangement looks like (_ _ _ _ A)[This case is mirror image of Case 1 hence same no. of arrangements will be obtained which will all be mirror image of arrangements of Case 1]
10 Cases

Total Arrangements = 10 + 10 + 8 + 10 + 10 = 48 Arrangements

Answer: Option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Can someone please help, as Iam unable to understand why are we considering an 'OR' condition here when the question says
where A is not adjacent to B and D is not adjacent to E?

iam guessing the solution should be 5! - the number of cases when AB and DE are together
i.e 120 - (3!*2!*2!) = 96
Please correct me
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13401 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kasturi72 wrote:
Can someone please help, as Iam unable to understand why are we considering an 'OR' condition here when the question says
where A is not adjacent to B and D is not adjacent to E?

iam guessing the solution should be 5! - the number of cases when AB and DE are together
i.e 120 - (3!*2!*2!) = 96
Please correct me

Hi Kasturi,

The question has mentioned that Neither should A be next to B nor should D be next to E, whereas your solution find the cases where both A and B are together as well as D and E are together but your solution does NOT exclude

1) the cases where A and B are together but D and E are NOT together
2) the cases where D and E are together but A and B are NOT together

hence your solution is INCORRECT

I hope it clears your doubt!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
I dont get it , stem asks How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible where A is not adjacent to B and D is not adjacent to E?

and not OR, , having said that in my opinion sol should be 5! - 3!*4 = 96 option A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
jp001 wrote:

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 30
(E) 1

Similar question to practice: how-many-different-arrangements-of-a-b-c-d-and-e-are-pos-106764.html

Bunuel Can you please explain why we are considering an OR scenario. We should find out the no. of cases where A and B are together as well as D and E are together.

Hence AB C DE = 3! *2*2 = 24

This should now be subtracted from 120 and the answer should be 96.

Can you please explain what am i missing here?
Thanks.!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 794
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible [#permalink]
bethebest wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jp001 wrote:

(A) 96
(B) 48
(C) 32
(D) 30
(E) 1

Similar question to practice: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-many-diff ... 06764.html

Bunuel Can you please explain why we are considering an OR scenario. We should find out the no. of cases where A and B are together as well as D and E are together.

Hence AB C DE = 3! *2*2 = 24

This should now be subtracted from 120 and the answer should be 96.

Can you please explain what am i missing here?
Thanks.!

I have the exact same question.
Can Bunuel/ VeritasPrepKarishma / mikemcgarry / Abhishek009 /
chetan2u or any other expert please confirm why we are using the Or condition when the question clearly states:

If the question was :

How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible where neither is A adjacent to B nor is D adjacent to E, then the OA does make sense.

Could you please confirm if my understanding is right?
A reply will be much appreciated.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
darn wrote:

chetan2u or any other expert please confirm why we are using the Or condition when the question clearly states:

If the question was :

How many different arrangements of A, B, C, D, and E are possible where neither is A adjacent to B nor is D adjacent to E, then the OA does make sense.

We need two cases in which X doesn't happen and neither does Y happen.
X - A is not adjacent to B
Y - D is not adjacent to E
So any case that has X but not Y should be included. Similarly, any case that has Y but not X should also be included.
Hence Or is the correct way.

Had the question been "X and Y do not happen simultaneously" then we would have used "and".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 794
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
darn wrote:

If the question was :

We need two cases in which X doesn't happen and neither does Y happen.
X - A is not adjacent to B
Y - D is not adjacent to E
So any case that has X but not Y should be included. Similarly, any case that has Y but not X should also be included.
Hence Or is the correct way.

Had the question been "X and Y do not happen simultaneously" then we would have used "and".

Hi Karishma
Appreciate your quick response!
Unfortunately, I am not able to follow what you are trying to say. Is there any other way you could help me understand this better?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28581 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos