Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1900 [59]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [12]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi KS15,

Option D: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

If you notice, the "which" relative pronoun is not at all required in the above sentence. The reason:there are two relative pronouns "which" and "that" in the same clause.kind of like a run-on.: which causes X that causes Y.

Option A: ", sometimes benign and sometimes severe" is a non-defining clause which can be completely omitted and still the sentence makes complete sense.

Option A corrects the error of D.

Regards,
Dom.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Send PM
Re: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
dominicraj wrote:
Hi KS15,

Option D: Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

If you notice, the "which" relative pronoun is not at all required in the above sentence. The reason:there are two relative pronouns "which" and "that" in the same clause.kind of like a run-on.: which causes X that causes Y.

Option A: ", sometimes benign and sometimes severe" is a non-defining clause which can be completely omitted and still the sentence makes complete sense.

Option A corrects the error of D.

Regards,
Dom.

Hi Dom,

Thanks for explaining. But is it a rule that 'which and that' can't be used in the same sentence? I have not seen this anywhere. Also, it is not which causes X that causes Y. If you read the sentence carefully it says something else.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
A works for me. The reason why I removed D is that when i removed the modifer clause, the sentence didnt make sense at all. The "which" brings in non-restrictive clause which can be removed without alterning the meaning of the sentence, so if we remove the which from D, it looks like "Arterieviruses are ...... in humans..." . This looks completely non-sensical as these viruses dont exist in humans but affect humans. I hope you get the point behind D elimination.
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1900 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Dear KS15

Dominic Raj has correctly explained the situation at hand.
There is no such rule as which and that cant co-exist.
The rule is Which just gives additional info , whereas that gives necessary info.(Check out mgmat sc book)

The concept this question tests is quite apparent , the difference between That and which

Does this all make sense?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Send PM
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Dear KS15

The rule is Which just gives additional info , whereas that gives necessary info.(Check out mgmat sc book)

The concept this question tests is quite apparent , the difference between That and which

Hi Waterflowsup,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the which and that rules that mgmat sc has. But, I am not able to understand what you/Dom mean here. In D, which is used as a non essential modifier along with a comma and this is a correct usage. Also, D says that it is the infections that are benign whereas in A, even though it uses that correctly as an essential modifier, it does not clearly mention what is benign etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
KS15 wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Dear KS15

Hi Waterflowsup,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the which and that rules that mgmat sc has. But, I am not able to understand what you/Dom mean here. In D, which is used as a non essential modifier along with a comma and this is a correct usage. Also, D says that it is the infections that are benign whereas in A, even though it uses that correctly as an essential modifier, it does not clearly mention what is benign etc.

Hi KS15,

I eliminated D for another reason altogether. Hopefully this can help you. Consider the below with option D
Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms, which cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and birds.

If you remove the modifier clause, you get a sentence which makes no sense at all. The sentence does not intend to say that Arteriviruses are present in humans, other mammals, and birds; but it intends to say that Arteriviruses causes digestive and respiratory infections in them.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
noTh1ng wrote:
Whats the matter with C?

Hi,

Consider Option C as below:

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

Here, the pronoun "that" is used to refer to 2 different items:
- genus of microorganisms
- digestive and respiratory infections

However, as a rule, a pronoun can only refer to one and only one antecedent. Hence this choice is eliminated for pronoun error.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: MBS '18
Send PM
sagar2911 wrote:
noTh1ng wrote:
Whats the matter with C?

Hi,

Arteriviruses are a genus of microorganisms that cause digestive and respiratory infections that are sometimes benign and sometimes severe, in humans, other mammals, and in birds.

However, as a rule, a pronoun can only refer to one and only one antecedent. Hence this choice is eliminated for pronoun error.

if the above analysis true what about that?? Does the first that does not refer to microorganisms and the second that refer to infections?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pictureperfect wrote:
sagar2911 wrote:
noTh1ng wrote:
Whats the matter with C?

Hi,

if the above analysis true what about that?? Does the first that does not refer to microorganisms and the second that refer to infections?

Correct, the first that refers to genus of microorganisms and the second that refers to digestive and respiratory infections.
The point I am trying to make is that you cannot use the same pronoun in a sentence to refer to 2 different items. You should use different pronouns to refer to different antecedents.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
sagar2911 wrote:
pictureperfect wrote:
sagar2911 wrote:

Hi,

Correct, the first that refers to genus of microorganisms and the second that refers to digestive and respiratory infections.
The point I am trying to make is that you cannot use the same pronoun in a sentence to refer to 2 different items. You should use different pronouns to refer to different antecedents.

thanks, thats exactly what i was also wondering about. You say "you should use different pronouns", does that mean I have to or is it just better to do so?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Send PM
noTh1ng wrote:

thanks, thats exactly what i was also wondering about. You say "you should use different pronouns", does that mean I have to or is it just better to do so?

You have to and its better to do so. It is a rule, and GMAT strictly follows all the rules :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Can someone explain what is wrong with option E ? Is it the "In birds vs Birds" at the end of sentence ?

Regards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [4]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos