Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1860 [502]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31955 [55]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [54]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [22]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A) Found only in the western hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends ---incorrect because of wrong modification. Hummingbirds should appear immediately after the climate,

B) Found only in the western hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending —correct choice; ‘their range extending’ is a modifier of the birds surviving through extremes.

c.) Hummingbirds, found only in the western hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, with their range extending – a fragment without a verb for the subject humming birds

D.)Hummingbirds, found only in the western hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, their range extending from- same error as in C

E.)Hummingbirds are found only in the western hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends – This choice is running into structural problems and therefore a violation of intended meaning. The range that extends is descriptive of the birds’ survival through extremes of climate and not a disparate feature. Therefore, the range has to be subordinated to the surviving act and not be equated with another action verb
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [6]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
amatya wrote:
Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds' range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sea-level rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.

(A) Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends

(B) Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending

(C) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, with their range extending

(D) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, their range extends

(E) Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere and survive through extremes of climate because their range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Parallelism

• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• The introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “extending” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the phrase “Found only in…climate” to modify “hummingbirds' range”, illogically implying that the range is found only in the Western Hemisphere and survives through extremes of climate; the intended meaning is that hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere and survive through extremes of climate; please remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

B:Correct This answer choice acts upon the independent noun “hummingbirds” with the active verb “survive” to form a complete thought, leading to a complete sentence. Further, Option B correctly uses the phrase “Found only in the Western Hemisphere” to modify the noun “hummingbirds” and uses the clause “hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate”, conveying the intended meaning – that hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, and they survive through extremes of climate. Moreover, Option B uses the phrase “their range extending from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego”, conveying the intended meaning – that hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate because their range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego; please remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “extending” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

C: This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; as “found only in the Western Hemisphere”, “surviving through extremes of climate”, and “with their range extending” are all modifiers, there is no active verb to act upon the subject of the sentence, “Hummingbirds”.

D: This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; as “found only in the Western Hemisphere”, “surviving through extremes of climate”, and “their range extending” are all modifiers, there is no active verb to act upon the subject of the sentence, “Hummingbirds”.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “and their range…Tierra del Fuego”; the use of “and” incorrectly implies that hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate and as a separate action their range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.; the intended meaning is that hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate because their range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participles for Cause-Effect Relationships" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1860 [5]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My main doubt in this question was why C is incorrect because I was confused in B and C only
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
(
Quote:
B) Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending
(C) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, with their range extending

Where is the verb in C? It's a fragment
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [17]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
amatya wrote:
Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.

(A) Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends
(B) Found only in the Western Hemisphere, hummingbirds survive through extremes of climate, their range extending
(D) Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, their range extends
(E) Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends

Press Kudos if you like the post

Hummingbird's range - noun in pocessive form can't be antecedent of "Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate"
Cross out A

Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, their range extends
Remove highlighted modifer, sentence is not making any sense.
Cross out D

Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, survive through extremes of climate, and their range extends
Ungrammatical
Cross out E

Hummingbirds, found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, with their range extending
"With" changin the meaning.

Only Plausible - B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [13]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
HBird's range is not found in.. and is not surviving the extremes. Kick this option out.
Don't see any problem with this one
HBirds with their range..not logical. Kick this option out.
It's an illogical construction - HBirds, modifier, <pronoun> <noun><verb> . Kick this option out.
The third in the list (i.e. 'their range extends') is not parallel with the rest two. Kick this option out.

Option B is the right option.

Cheers. :wink:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [7]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
amatya wrote:
Found only in the Western Hemisphere and surviving through extremes of climate, hummingbirds’ range extends from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, from sealevel rain forests to the edges of Andean snowfields and ice fields at altitudes of 15,000 feet.

the opening modifier should modify the hummingbirds and not their range. incorrect.

looks good. noun+noun modifier used correctly.

birds with their range ... no bonafide verb. so out.
found only - is a noun modifier, and not a verb.

subject, modifier, subject - double subject error here. out.

survive through extremes of climate - looks like a verb, but not properly connected. thus, E is out.

took me 40 seconds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [19]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos