Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 11:31 It is currently 02 May 2024, 11:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: ISB applicants - Ask GyanOne!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Avishek2004 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
Avishek2004 wrote:
Hi Gyanone

When are interview calls for Mumbai expected to go out for Round 2 applicants for ISB?

Thanks, Avishek

Hi Avishek

Interview calls for some locations (Delhi included) have started to go out now.

Hi gyanone

Is it possible to defer admission at ISB? How do you go about doing it?

Avishek

Hi Avishek

Yes, it is possible to defer, but you need to state a compelling reason for doing so, and it will certainly be subject to ISB accepting that reason.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:

Hi Avishek

Yes, it is possible to defer, but you need to state a compelling reason for doing so, and it will certainly be subject to ISB accepting that reason.

Thanks gyanone, I have few more questions on this. Can I contact you directly on this?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Avishek2004 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:

Hi Avishek

Thanks gyanone, I have few more questions on this. Can I contact you directly on this?

Sure, but in case you have general questions, please do post here too so that others can benefit from the responses as well
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
All the best to all our clients (as well as non-clients :-)) who are joining ISB soon and will be part of the Class of 2017!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi

When will ISB start their admission process for next year?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
gemsidhu wrote:
Hi

When will ISB start their admission process for next year?

Hi gemsidhu

Should be early May. The ISB app last year opened in the first week of May and we covered the changed essay topics and deadlines on the same day. Will be doing the same this year as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks. Can you please evaluate my profile? I have GMAT of 690 and 4.5 years of work experience. My extra curriculars are not very good but I have some certificates for NGO work.

Apart from this I also want to ask whether my GMAT is enough? Do people get calls with 690? Also, do you think I should take CAT for IIM because I have too much experience already and most people come there with zero work experience.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
gemsidhu wrote:
Thanks. Can you please evaluate my profile? I have GMAT of 690 and 4.5 years of work experience. My extra curriculars are not very good but I have some certificates for NGO work.

Apart from this I also want to ask whether my GMAT is enough? Do people get calls with 690? Also, do you think I should take CAT for IIM because I have too much experience already and most people come there with zero work experience.

Hi gemsidhu,

Thanks for posting. It is not possible for us to evaluate your profile at much depth with only the information you have provided. Please include further details on your work (domain/company/key responsibilities), your career goals, and your extra-curricular activities and achievement.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
ISB deadlines for 2016-17 apps announced. The dates remain the same - Oct 15 (R1) and Jan 15 (R2) - as last year.

More information here: ISB deadlines 2016 announced.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
gemsidhu wrote:

Hi gemsidhu,

Thanks for posting. It is not possible for us to evaluate your profile at much depth with only the information you have provided. Please include further details on your work (domain/company/key responsibilities), your career goals, and your extra-curricular activities and achievement.

Hi

Sorry for late reply. Here is more information about my profile.

GMAT:- 690
10th - 92%, 12th - 87%

4.5 years of work experience at TCS. I have been a coder but I have also been part of CSR and have also been onsite for 6 months in between. I am in the domain of insurance in TCS. Sometimes, I lead a team of 3-4 people, but sometimes I also work alone. My career goal is management consulting with McKinzy.

Extra curriculars I am not very strong. I played football in college, and I have also played some matches for a local club. I have represented TCS in a local corporate cricket tournament. I know how to play guitar but I don't have any achievement in it.

Let me know if you need more information
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
gemsidhu wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
gemsidhu wrote:

Hi gemsidhu,

Hi

Sorry for late reply. Here is more information about my profile.

GMAT:- 690
10th - 92%, 12th - 87%

4.5 years of work experience at TCS. I have been a coder but I have also been part of CSR and have also been onsite for 6 months in between. I am in the domain of insurance in TCS. Sometimes, I lead a team of 3-4 people, but sometimes I also work alone. My career goal is management consulting with McKinzy.

Extra curriculars I am not very strong. I played football in college, and I have also played some matches for a local club. I have represented TCS in a local corporate cricket tournament. I know how to play guitar but I don't have any achievement in it.

Let me know if you need more information

Hi gemsidhu

You come from a competitive pool of IT applicants. A 690 could work, but if you have time, try and raise that a bit. Coding experience is pretty common, so you will need to work hard on ISB essay 1 to differentiate yourself in the applicant pool, focusing on qualities beyond technical. The CSR experience helps a little, but overall your extra curriculars are just about average. Look at taking up more leadership or firm contribution experiences at work. You dont necessarily need to have achievements in every extra curricular activity you take up, but you do need to show involvement across different areas (this is for the Activities section of the ISB app).

Management consulting may not be an easy bet from where you are right now (also please note that the firm's name is McKinsey), and you will really need to have clear and focused career goals. Look at other career options as well, including those closer to technology itself. Returning to TCS in a different role may also be a possibility.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:

Hi gemsidhu

You come from a competitive pool of IT applicants. A 690 could work, but if you have time, try and raise that a bit. Coding experience is pretty common, so you will need to work hard on ISB essay 1 to differentiate yourself in the applicant pool, focusing on qualities beyond technical. The CSR experience helps a little, but overall your extra curriculars are just about average. Look at taking up more leadership or firm contribution experiences at work. You dont necessarily need to have achievements in every extra curricular activity you take up, but you do need to show involvement across different areas (this is for the Activities section of the ISB app).

Management consulting may not be an easy bet from where you are right now (also please note that the firm's name is McKinsey), and you will really need to have clear and focused career goals. Look at other career options as well, including those closer to technology itself. Returning to TCS in a different role may also be a possibility.

Thanks for your assessment gyanone. I have started preparing for GMAT again, and hoping to cross 700 this time. What will be a safe score for me? For goals I had just said McKinsey without thinking that much about it, but yes the other options you mention are not bad. I think I have to seriously research this otherwise it can harm my application. Will come back to you on it later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,
I am yet to give my GMAT. I am a working Management Consultant with 8yrs of experience.

Can anyone tell me how much time will it take from getting the application form to submitting it (the process of recommendations, essays etc - Total time)

I fear I might miss the deadline as after 3 mocks I have reached 600. I am targeting 730- 740 and I have plans by end of June to get this on the real GMAT
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT : not taken yet .

10th : 85
12th : 93.2
B.tech (Mechanical ) : 64.6

Work : Design Engineer : 42 months in a German firm (Loesche) . I work as a design engineer in Loesche , we actually design cement Mills , we are doing it across the world , and I now I am presently doing it for a firm based in Nigeria . it's actually 3D design . Have also worked in Dusseldorf Germany

Extra Curriculars:
Prefect in class 10th
prefect in class 12th
School football team
Topper in class 11th and 12th in various subjects .
1st in Paper Presentation in college
Represented college in Paper Presentation
College team football captain .
Have won 4 football tournaments .
Organised the first futsal tournament in college .
Presently coach at the school of soccer , Delhi during weekends .
Taught students of an NGO for 3 months .

Mock GMAT : 680 ( from mba.com) . Planing to give my gmat , july end , aiming for 740
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
akshay_ramsey wrote:
GMAT : not taken yet .

10th : 85
12th : 93.2
B.tech (Mechanical ) : 64.6

Work : Design Engineer : 42 months in a German firm (Loesche) . I work as a design engineer in Loesche , we actually design cement Mills , we are doing it across the world , and I now I am presently doing it for a firm based in Nigeria . it's actually 3D design . Have also worked in Dusseldorf Germany

Extra Curriculars:
Prefect in class 10th
prefect in class 12th
School football team
Topper in class 11th and 12th in various subjects .
1st in Paper Presentation in college
Represented college in Paper Presentation
College team football captain .
Have won 4 football tournaments .
Organised the first futsal tournament in college .
Presently coach at the school of soccer , Delhi during weekends .
Taught students of an NGO for 3 months .

Mock GMAT : 680 ( from mba.com) . Planing to give my gmat , july end , aiming for 740

Akshay,

Good profile there, though a bit technical. Still, there is differentiation that you have by dint of the fact that you have international exposure and the work you do is very niche. The international experience gives you a definite edge. Your ECA is pretty strong, and will help. The college academic scores are somewhat average, but you can compensate through a good GMAT score. If you want to continue in the same domain post-MBA, you have well-established credentials and should be able to find good roles. In case looking for a career shift (to say something like consulting), that may be possible too, but will require you to be very clear in terms of how you will make that transition + why you wish to make it, through your essays.

Overall, you have a strong profile Akshay. Keep working hard on the GMAT, and even if you can get to 700 or 710 on the GMAT, you should be well placed to make it. Hope this helps and please feel free to come back with further questions as needed.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Hello

Please evaluate my profile

10th- 95%
12th- 92% (CBSE)
Electronics and Communications Engineering from NIT, Calicut. (cgpa- 7.2)

Work ex- 3.5 years in Deloitte Consulting

2 years as a technical developer for Oracle eBS applications and 1.5 years as a marketing and communications analyst where my key role was pipeline management of over 140 technology solutions, industry and service area portfolio management, creation of monthly and quarterly sales reports for leadership and manage intra company communication for solutions.

International exposure- grew up in the middle east, also worked for close to 2weeks in Atlanta (not sure if this counts) for a Deloitte leadership meeting

Quit work recently to devote few months to teach in a rural school.

Extra curricular activities- Won awards for singing at school, college and work

Short term goal- Move back to Deloitte as a strategy & operations consultant

GMAT- 690 (Q50 V34) IR6 AWA4
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Gyan One,
I have appeared for GMAT and secured a score of 690 ( Qa50, Va33).(2nd Attempt)
10th Standard 92%
12th Standard 84%
Graduation: B.E. in Mechanical Engineering : 8.25
Job:
Company: Larsen & Toubro ltd.
Profile: Started career in Sales & Marketing of Construction Equipment Business and catered both retail and corporate customers. Now I have moved to divisioal marketing team. I joined in 13th July'2012.( 46 Months ).
Extra Curricular : Average
Do I stand a chance for ISB R1?
Do I need to retake & will a good GRE score will be helpful?????
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21