Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 18:38 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Fractions/Ratios/Decimalsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38848 [82]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [41]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The harvest yield from a certain apple orchard was 350 bushels of appl [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Total yield by x trees = 10x
So, fraction of the harvest yield from these x trees = 10x/350 = x/35
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [3]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: The harvest yield from a certain apple orchard was 350 bushels of appl [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
AbdurRakib wrote:
The harvest yield from a certain apple orchard was 350 bushels of apples. If x of the trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushel of apples, what fraction of the harvest yield was from these x trees?

A) \(\frac{x}{35}\)

B) 1–(\(\frac{x}{35}\))

C) 10x

D) 35–x

E) 350–10x

OG 2017 New Question

What fraction of the TOTAL harvest 'x' trees yield. That means harvest from x trees/total harvest

harvest from x trees= 10x (each of x trees yield 10 bushels)
Total harvest= 350

ratio= 10x/350= x/35

A is the answer
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3133 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Total harvest =350
For x trees => yield = 10x
now let the fraction be p => p*350=10x=> p=10x/350=x/35
Smash A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.76
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Yield of x trees = 10 bushels * x = 10x bushels
Yield of orchard = 350 bushels

Fraction yield of x trees = 10x/350 = x/35

Ans. A
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35501 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
The harvest yield from a certain apple orchard was 350 bushels of appl [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:
The harvest yield from a certain apple orchard was 350 bushels of apples. If x of the trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushel of apples, what fraction of the harvest yield was from these x trees?

A) \(\frac{x}{35}\)

B) 1–(\(\frac{x}{35}\))

C) 10x

D) 35–x

E) 350–10x

OG 2017 New Question

I did it algebraically but wanted to check accuracy.

Let x number of trees = 7. (I wanted a round result with 350 in the denominator. 70/350 works.)

Each tree produces 10 bushels. Total for x trees is 70 bushels.

Fraction of total (from these 7 trees) is 70/350 or 7/35.

Using x = 7, find the answer that yields 7/35. That is Answer A.

Others can be eliminated quickly. Answer C, D, and E don't yield fractions. With x = 7, Answer B can be calculated quickly; it equals 93/100. Incorrect.

Answer A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 676 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
x of the trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushel of apples
means x*10,
total there are 350 apples
so answer should be x*10/350
so answer should be x/35
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) \(\frac{x}{35}\)

B) 1–(\(\frac{x}{35}\))

C) 10x

D) 35–x

E) 350–10x

We are given that the harvest yield from a certain apple orchard was 350 bushels of apples and that x trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushels of apples. Thus, those x trees yielded 10x bushels of apples, and therefore, those x trees yielded 10x/350 = x/35 of the harvest.

Answer: A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
The harvest yield from a certain apple orchard was 350 bushels of appl [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) \(\frac{x}{35}\)

B) 1–(\(\frac{x}{35}\))

C) 10x

D) 35–x

E) 350–10x

OG 2017 New Question

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to respond. This kind of word problem intimidates many people, but the actual calculation here is quite straightforward.

A fraction is a part over a whole. The whole is 350 bushels.

Of this set of x special trees, special for some unknown reason, each tree produced 10 bushels. That's 10x bushels from the lot of them. That's the part.

fraction = \(\frac{10x}{350}\) = \(\frac{x}{35}\)

Answer = (A)

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

hey Mike :-) these word problems with variables drive me insane :) here is my solution,

let number x of the trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushel of apples BE 10X

Let the total number be Y

total number 350

10x+y = 350
10x= 350-y (divide both parts by 10)
x = 35-y

so I where am I wrong ? :-) can you advice some materials for word problems ? :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
hey Mike :-) these word problems with variables drive me insane :) here is my solution,

let number x of the trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushel of apples BE 10X

total number 350

10x+y = 350
10x= 350-y (divide both parts by 10)
x = 35-y

so I where am I wrong ? :-) can you advice some materials for word problems ? :)

Dear dave13,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Point #1: My friend, in word problems, each word has to be regarded with the same precision that we use on numbers in math. Everything about math is precision, both the words and the numbers. Here is the prompt again:
I think you did not read the prompt question carefully. It was asking for a fraction, for a part over whole. It was NOT asking you to solve for x. If you go looking for something other than what the question asks, you will not be successful on that question.

Point #2: don't introduce new variables when you don't have to. You can introduce a variable for a quantity for which you are going to solve, but don't introduce variables for extra pieces of the problem. Think about it. If the bushels from the x trees is 10x bushels, and the total number of bushels is 350, then if we needed it, the number of bushels from the remaining trees would be (350 - 10x). No need for a new variable. Be very stingy with introducing variables: don't introduce a new one unless you absolutely have to.

Point #3: when you introduce new variables, also strive for precision. Here's what you wrote:

total number 350

You have two different "total numbers" specified there, and it's not clear their referents: total number of what?? It's not clear to me that you yourself are 100% clear on what the Y is, what the 350 is, and how they are different even though they are "total numbers."

One piece of advice is to be as precise as possible in every step. Read the prompt slowly, maybe two or three times, to double-check that you understand exactly what it is and isn't asking. Make sure every variable you use in your solution is identified with surgical accuracy.

A whole other category of advice I am going to give is as follows: research and practice mindfulness. Mindfulness is a set of practices that will slow you down, allow you to release stress, and make you better able to focus on exactly what is in front of your face. A friend of mine offers these services:
Mindful Test Taking
Those skills will help you a great deal on math, and they also will make you happier overall.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This question can be solved by TESTing VALUES.

We're told that the total yield from an orchard or trees was 350 bushels. We're also told that X of the trees yielded 10 bushels each. We're asked for the FRACTION of the total that was yielded from the X trees.

IF... X = 2... then 2(10) = 20 of the 350 bushels came from those X trees. Thus, we're looking for an answer that equals 20/350 = 20/35 when X=2. There's only one answer that matches...

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
pushpitkc niks18 Hatakekakashi
amanvermagmat Bunuel chetan2u

Quote:

Can question be simplified to:

If each of the trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushel of apples, what fraction of the harvest yield was from each of these tree?

Seems a bit more easier to understand. ;)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

If each of the trees in the orchard each yielded 10 bushel of apples, what fraction of the harvest yield was from each of these tree?

Hi adkikani

I am afraid we cannot say that "Each" of the tree yielded 10 bushel. The question mentions the yield of only "x" trees, remaining tree can have different yield for e.g remaining tress could yield 9 or 11 or any other bushels each
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Agree with what niks18 had to say

For this question harvest of x trees is asked

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) \(\frac{x}{35}\)

B) 1–(\(\frac{x}{35}\))

C) 10x

D) 35–x

E) 350–10x

OG 2017 New Question

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option A

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2290 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) \(\frac{x}{35}\)

B) 1–(\(\frac{x}{35}\))

C) 10x

D) 35–x

E) 350–10x

OG 2017 New Question

There's a variable that is repeated in the answer choices, so I'm going with Plugging In. x=35 looks like it'll make things easy to work with. If we use x=35, all the apples come from those trees, so 100%. We want a fraction equal to 1.

A) \(\frac{35}{35}\) Keep it.

B) 1–(\(\frac{35}{35}\)) Eliminate.

C) 10(35) Eliminate.

D) 35–35 Eliminate.

E) 350–10(35) Eliminate.

A is the only one that works.

Answer choice A.

ThatDudeKnowsPluggingIn
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92959 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts