Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 20:12 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 20:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas Full Time Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: An MBA Trek across the Andes, Into the Heart of Chile & Peru
Student-organized treks are a longstanding tradition in theFull-time Berkeley MBA ProgramProgram—many students say they are a highlight of their time at Haas.

Over the past two years, students have organized treks to Morocco, Japan, Tanzania, Southeast Asia, Ireland, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru. They’ve bonded while climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, riding camels through the desert, and traversing the Andes on horseback. 

For Victor Pucci and Sebastian Amenabar, both MBA 16, organizing a trek through Chile and Peru for 40 classmates was a test of their leadership  skills—and a chance to share a part of their homeland that tourists rarely see. Here's what they have to say:

Victor's account of the trip:

“We started the trek with a barbecue at my parents’ house in Santiago. We invited all the new Haas admits in Chile, as well as the alumni who live in the area. It was a wonderful chance to meet the Haas community in Chile.

We took a flight to the south where my family owns a ranch. We had organized our expedition with about ten gauchos from the ranch who would take us into the mountains. You wouldn’t believe the logistics of taking 40 people on horses into the mountains. It’s a very remote area in Southern Chile, on the edge of Patagonia.

We made everyone who went on the trek take at least three horseback riding training sessions before we left. We crossed some difficult mountains. It was very technical, and we had to get off the horses many times. The first day I was very, very nervous. When we got to the first camp, we celebrated that we got there without major trouble. We got to share many stories and conversations with the gauchos and we all grew close. Finally we arrived at this place at the top of the mountains. It think not more that 100 people from outside the area have ever been there. It was a big deal for everyone.”

In organizing the trek, Victor and Sebastian worked closely with Peruvian classmates Maria Teresa “Mate” De Quesada and Joyce Barua, also MBA 16. After leaving the mountains, the group flew to Lima and made side trips to Cuzco and Machu Picchu. They also spent time on a large Peruvian rancho with its own school and pisco distillery. 

"We learned a lot. It was really hard to organize everything—especially the horse trip—but what I really liked was the whole connection between the locals and the visitors. We had that feeling of being close to people in a way that usually takes much longer."  

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas Full Time Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Do we know if Haas calls accepted candidates in R3 or from the waitlist?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10101 [0]
Given Kudos: 4547
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
NS13983 wrote:
Do we know if Haas calls accepted candidates in R3 or from the waitlist?

Last year, applicants received calls from adcoms. Hope they will follow the same procedure this time too. How many applicants are waiting for the decisions?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Evening & Weekend MBA Finds Support for Balancing MBA and Family
“To make sure that I give my family the ‘return on investment’ that they’re putting into this, I need to put my best foot forward in the classroom setting.

With his wife as a PhD candidate at Stanford and their first child on the way, Corey Weathers found the Berkeley Evening & Weekend MBA while looking for options that would meet his lifestyle and location. His top priority is always family, so his ideal program was a top-tier school with flexible scheduling. “I wanted to make sure that I was able to still give them time, while at the same time still provide for our family.”

For Corey’s family, the part-time MBA program has been ideal. While enrolled at Haas, Corey continues working and still has the ability to spend at home. “When I was looking at the decision between part-time and full-time programs, I continued to think a part-time program is probably a better fit.” Now in his second year at Haas, Corey confirms, “It’s been a fantastic.”

As a consultant in the software industry, Corey came to Haas after working for years with customers in technology and software support. “My passion area has always been in education and technology, and I’ve always tried to find a way to mix the two,” he says with a smile.

“I’d always known that I wanted to get a good solid business background – and explored the idea of MBA programs,” says Corey. “I felt like Haas would be the best fit – not only cultural and personality fit – but also as a career move for me.”

Learning in a supportive community has made balancing MBA and family possible for Corey. Professors know that all EWMBA students are juggling many responsibilities and priorities. Classmates are understanding and quick to help.

“If you need to get additional time to do some reading, you take that time. If your classmates recognize things are going on they say, ‘What can we do to help you? Maybe we'll pick up the slack this week, so you can go focus on family for a little bit.’”

The coursework itself has expanded and deepened Corey’s understanding of business, helping him to see the bigger picture and think more holistically. Other students in the program have also contributed, sharing their experiences and perspectives from many different backgrounds and professional fields.

“My classmates are as varied and diverse as one would imagine... It makes the classroom discussions a lot more interesting.

Corey is impressed with the quality and diversity of professors in the Haas school. “The professors are very dynamic and engaging,” says Corey. “I’ve found them all to be very different in how they approach teaching, excited about their craft, and very passionate about the subject area for which they teach.”

When he talks with other Haas students, he notices that classmates and alumni always coming back to a core idea: how they’re striving to live and exemplify the four defining principles of the Haas School –Question the Status Quo; Confidence Without Attitude; Students Always; and Beyond Yourself. “The four defining principles of Haas really identified with my personal values — who I am and how I show up in the world,” says Corey.

Completing his second year in the program, Corey is confident in his decisions and commitments—both in growing his family and in earning his MBA. “I walked into business school thinking that there would be a lot more work and a lot more competition,” says Corey. He has been happily surprised by the encouragement and support of the Haas MBA community.

“What I have found is we do as much as we can to support each other so that we all succeed.”

Corey and his family—along with his classmates and professors—work together to maintain a sustainable rhythm and balance, so they can all continue growing and learning together. As Corey states, “We all propel each other forward. I really love that experience.”

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Interviewed but dinged in Round 3. Hurts like hell but I'll live. :|
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Berkeley MBA Mic Drop: Students “rap” Up their Experience

From FOMO to consumption functions, two graduating students (and one dean with some serious moves) recapped their Berkeley MBA experience this way: 

This YOHO* celebration landed full-time MBA students Anthony “Anthony “Ace” Patterson and Bomi Kim (and their video) on Poets & Quants, which observed, “No longer may you argue which world class MBA program houses the best rappers. It’s UC-Berkeley’s Haas School of Business.” 

*You Only Haas Once

What else happens in the Full-time Berkeley MBA Program? We invite you to find out.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Has everyone that was rejected received calls from the evening/weekend or executive program at Haas?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hola! This is only relevant for admits from Spain & Portugal (or with high interest in working mainly in these markets based in Madrid!). I have just seen in Facebook the following:

Bain & Company Madrid Office is planning a Pre-MBA event at 19:30 in June 23rd and would like to invite the Berkeley Haas Class of 2018 admits. It is a unique opportunity to understand what we do in Strategy Consulting very early on!

Please **send an email to Patricia Miralles (patricia.miralles{@}bain{.}com, I can't write it as a normal email address, but you only have to delete the brackets) ** if you would like to attend, and she will answer back to you, or you can follow the instructions in the web page of Bain Madrid, where you also have more information.

If you are interested in Bain Madrid, even if you can't attend, also let her know!

Congratulations on your admission!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Your Berkeley Executive MBA Classmates

In the Executive MBA program at Berkeley-Haas, your classmates possess talent, a drive to excel, and deep—and diverse—experience. They also embrace the Berkeley-Haas Defining Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself.

Here’s what students in the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program have to say about their classmates:

“One of the best surprises was how quickly my classmates felt like old friends. We could immediately engage on a deep level on questions of substance,” says Harold Allen, site supervisor in global operations for Air Products and Chemicals, Inc..

Michael Boos, a first officer for Southwest Airlines
, observes, “There is such diversity among professional backgrounds. It’s like having a class full of subject-matter experts, all eager to share stories and their passion for what they do.”

“It seems that for every case study we discuss, someone in the class has direct, personal experience or a similar story to relate,” says Kelly Brashear, director, HR Business Partner for McKesson, who calls being able to blend theory and practice in this way “invaluable.”  

Robert Ford, executive vice president of Medical Devices at Abbott
, says most of his classmates were from industries that, “until now, I didn’t have an in-depth knowledge of,” and says he learned from everyone and expanded his network “in every direction.” 

“My classmates are all at the same level in our careers, but that we all bring something different to the table,” says Destiny Arts Center Executive Director Cristy Johnson Limón. “In our Statistics and Financial Accounting classes, others had stronger quantitative skills, but I contributed facilitation skills that helped us complete our assignments.” 

Adam Kerin, mobile product marketing manager with Qualcomm in San Diego
, says a class visit “was all it took to convince me that Berkeley was the right place for me; I felt so welcomed.” And once the class got started, he says, “The energetic back-and-forth discussion blew me away.” 

“My classmates energize me,” says Karin Lion, associate program officer, Global Agricultural Development, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “There’s this feeling that we all are investing in each other as much as in our selves.” 

In addition to amazing students, you'll find rigorous academics, immersive learning, and a truly on-campus experience in the Berkeley EMBA. 

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: We Came To Haas To Dream: EWMBA Class Of 2016
When Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA 2016 student speaker Luis Bellon wrapped up his commencement speech at the Greek Theater last week, he produced a pair of scissors from under his gown. 

"Join me in throwing away our old boxes, the ones that are now too small...and here's shedding boxes!" And with a flourish, snipped off his trademark long ponytail. 

It caught the crowd's attention—they roared with laughter and applause—but it was not a mere attention-getting stunt. Bellon's heartfelt  speech captured what many of his classmates have expressed: three years in the Berkeley-Haas Evening & Weekend MBA program was transformative.

"We came to Haas to dream," Bellon said, quoting classmate Iris Korovesi. "What has united us all from the first was that original nagging feeling; that knowledge clawing at us from inside: that there was more to life, and to us, than what we were before Haas."

A week earlier, students in the EWMBA Class of 2016 gathered for a graduation celebration. "The energy throughout the night was amazing," said Assistant Dean Courtney Chandler, who directs the program. "The buzz in the room showed clearly that they had bonded throughout their time here." 

Most of the graduates, who came in with and average of eight years of work experience, completed the program while balancing day jobs and other life demands. Many left having transformed their career trajectories or taken on new roles within their organizations. More than a few are launching their own ventures—by an informal count,
15 companies have been started by students while in the program. One member of the class, Megan Mokri, founded two startups (her 2nd startup,
Byte, was recently 
featured in Fast Company).

At the same time, students didn't hit pause on their lives. Chandler said at there are at least three new couples within the class—one couple has already gotten married. And more than 30 babies were born to students over their three years at Berkeley-Haas. (Check out some of the beautiful babies and children at commencement!)

The class didn't slack on academics, either. Graduate
Sara Narayan won the Outstanding Academic Achievement award, having earned a GPA of 3.956.

And several others were singled out by their classmates for stand-out contributions to the class. At commencement, the five graduates received the program's inaugural Defining Principles awards, given to those who embody the each of the school's four defining principles—and to one student who embodies all four:

Question the Status Quo: Elvina Hewitt 

We lead by championing bold ideas, taking intelligent risks and accepting sensible failures. This means speaking our minds even when it challenges convention. As leaders and creative thinkers, we thrive at the world’s epicenter of innovation.

Confidence Without Attitude: William Morgenstern

We make decisions based on evidence and analysis, giving us the confidence to act without arrogance. We lead through trust and collaboration.

Students Always: Angela Cheng

We are a community designed for curiosity and lifelong pursuit of personal and intellectual growth. We know that there is always more to learn. We strive to engage with others in continuous pursuit of knowledge and growth.

Beyond Yourself: Melissa Althea Tsang 

We shape our world by leading ethically and responsibly. As stewards of our enterprises, we take the longer view in our decisions and actions. This often means putting larger interests above our own.

The Berkeley Leader Award: Jack Shao-Wei Song 

Award winnders William Morgenstern, Elvina Hewitt, Angela Cheng, Jack Shao-Wei Song, Melissa Althea Tsang, and Sara Narayan, and student speaker Luis Bellon

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Berkeley MBA Bloggers Start Sustainable Business Conversations

Berkeley MBA voices reached broad audiences this spring in the Strategic & Sustainable Business Solutions course, which examines the role of business in society.

Instead of simply sharing writing assignments with their professor, some students are opting to post their work as blogs on LinkedIn. The result has been both surprising and beneficial in a number of ways.

Sonya Hetrick, MBA 16, received more than 4,000 views, 700 likes, and 60 comments on her post, “Misunderstanding Milton Friedman.” 

“At first, I was a little nervous to put myself out there, but by blogging, we were able to jump into the wider debate on the role of business in society,” says Sonya, a graduate of the Berkeley Full-time MBA Program and now a sector analyst, services, for the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board.  “I got a lot more comments than I ever expected, and it was interesting to hear people’s thoughts.”

Students in the class spend part of their time working directly with companies on sustainability and corporate social responsibility consulting projects, and part of their time examining these concepts on a more philosophical level, according to Robert Strand, the instructor for the course and Executive Director of the Haas School’s Center for Responsible Business.

The optional public blogs are written responses to questions posed in class such as, “What is the purpose of business?” or “What is your take on Michael Porter’s concept of creating shared value?”  

“We want business students to become accustomed to and engaged in discussions and debates about business in society,” says Professor Strand, who also posts on some widely read blogs. “By bringing in some of the comments and criticisms posted on LinkedIn, it helps facilitate the dialogue in the classroom.

“Blogging to a wider audience also encourages students to think more deeply about the opinions they are forming,” he says, adding that Haas defining principles, such as Question the Status Quo and Confidence Without Attitude, are embodied in many of the posts.

James Cho posted several blogs for class, including “Rubber Bands and the Purpose of Business,” which received more than 1,700 views and close to 200 Likes. “Seeing people respond to what I have to say—whether they agree or challenge me—is pretty validating and makes the learning more real,” says James.

Both James and Sonya also see benefits to blogging that reach beyond the classroom. “I think the greater visibility has renewed some connections and helps people think of me,” Sonya says. “Recently, a recruiter reached out to me who had received a referral from someone I haven’t talked to in years, but who I believe saw my post.”

“It’s definitely brought visibility to my LinkedIn profile from people who wouldn’t have necessarily looked at it,” James says. “I started doing this for a class, but I’m now considering what this means for the future. I think there is value in me establishing a point of view or expertise in a particular area that is associated with my professional brand.”

Interested in conversations about corporate social responsibility and sustainable business? Check out the Center for Responsible Business.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: How to Know When You're Ready for an MBA

If you’ve been considering whether now is the right time for an MBA, you’ve probably thought about timing, family, career path, your partner—the list goes on.

Because there’s never just one thing happening in life, and the question, “Am I ready for an MBA?” can produce varied, if not conflicting, answers. Many Berkeley MBA students have asked this question and considered the same factors.

Read how students from each of the three Berkeley-Haas programs (Full-time MBA, Evening & Weekend MBA, MBA for Executives) knew they were ready.
For
executive MBA student Alejandro Maldonado, founder and CEO of Flow Studios, realized pursuing an MBA was essential to 
advancing his company. As an entrepreneur and CEO, he knew that an MBA would be good not only for himself, but also for his business.

“I have been running my company for eight years. I didn’t have a formal business education, and I knew that scaling would be challenging with our B2B service. I knew an MBA would help me be better prepared to make the best possible decisions for my company and further develop my entrepreneurial career,” he recalls.

Plus, Alejandro knew the EMBA program’s class schedule would allow him the freedom to keep running his company while getting his degree. As it turns out, business school grew not only his skills, but also his network.

“I quickly found that all the classmates and alumni are really tightly connected, and are some of the most amazing people you will get to know. It’s pretty easy to find your next co-founder inside your cohort!”

Similarly, full-time student George James knew it was time to get an MBA when he felt he’d plateaued in his role at an oil and gas company and wanted to explore other industries.

“The company was doing well and I had been successful in accomplishing several initiatives, like creating an inventory control system, developing and implementing an export strategy, and revamping overall operations. But I had peaked and wasn’t feeling fulfilled by the industry. I knew I wanted to work on bigger projects [in tech] that touched the lives of millions,” he says.

George also has a wife and three children, so his family situation contributed to his decision to pursue an MBA. “When I started the program we had an 18-month-old and a new born who were young enough to not miss me if I was busy studying a lot,” he says.

Sydnie Reed of the full-time MBA program
 also knew the time for an MBA had come when she needed more from her career—and a new place to call home. “I felt I needed the skills and knowledge that an MBA could provide, particularly with regards to understanding all aspects of a business, from HR to accounting to financial reporting and how that affects your ability to execute on strategic priorities identified within different parts of the organization.”

Plus, she continues, “I was also living abroad before coming to Haas, and going back to school was an excellent way to ‘re-enter’ the US.”

Robert Kazmarek of the Evening & Weekend MBA Program, who relocated from an abroad position in Japan, decided it was time for an MBA after getting inspired by the UC Berkeley executive education classes he took. 

Timing and a lack of fulfillment in his job also moved him to make the leap. “I realized my growth, which I am so passionate about and dedicated to, was on the wrong end of the S-curve. I had always aspired to join the Berkeley-Haas community, and, as is the case in many aspects of my life if I find something that attracts or interests me, I don’t often challenge that feeling—instead, I run towards it.” 

Still, not everyone knows when they’re ready for an MBA, like evening and weekend MBA student Anca Popovici, senior manager of global demand generation for RES Software. “For me, being ready for the next big challenge is usually mental; it's the difference between being prepared and being ready,” says Anca.

“I was waiting for the 'right' time and was lucky to have someone in my life who helped me see the opportunity ahead,” she says. “In this case, it was my manager. He recognized that the timing was in fact right for the next big challenge.

“His trust helped me understand that waiting was not good enough for me anymore, and I had to play my cards or else I would regret not trying. And he was right. The Berkeley MBA allowed me to grow professionally without pressing ‘pause’ on life.”

Is it the right time for you? If you are considering all the factors in your life and want more guidance, download our free e-book,
Five Signs You're Ready for an MBA

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: 7 Reasons to Choose an EMBA Program for your MBA

If you’ve decided to pursue an MBA, you’re probably considering all the factors that go into choosing the right program: location, timeline, academic culture…the list goes on.

We here at the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program know that there is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to selecting a business school, because every student has his or her own reasons for getting an MBA—and there are many paths to choose from.

If you’re looking for a program with a unique schedule and student body, an Executive MBA may be the perfect fit. Here are seven reasons to consider an EMBA program.

1. Work and learn at the same time

EMBA programs let you to work while you’re in school, allowing you simultaneous growth in both your career and your degree. Another benefit of this dynamic is having opportunities to take what you learn in the classroom and directly apply it to your professional life. 

2. Complete your MBA on an accelerated timeline

Many experienced professionals choose executive programs because the timeline acknowledges students’ vast work experience by moving at an accelerated rate. You’ll be able to earn your degree faster than you would in a full-time or part-time MBA program.

3. Live, learn, and work with flexibility

These programs are designed for working professionals to have a choice in how, when, and where they study. With classes meeting less frequently, you don’t have to uproot your life and relocate to your program’s location—many EMBA students commute from their home location to the program.

4. Explore any and every interest

Ever had your eye on a project at work but didn’t get involved because you didn't feel you knew enough? In an executive MBA program, you’ll get hands-on experience with all types of work, from startups to consulting. This wide range of work exposure keeps you adaptable and well-rounded.

5. Show your newfound strengths

There’s never been a better time show what you’re learning to your colleagues—they’ll be thrilled with the newfound knowledge that you contribute, and you’ll build the credibility to take on new projects and responsibilities.

6. Build the best bridges around

In an EMBA program, you’ll learn as much (if not more) from your classmates as you will from your studies. The relationships you build with others in your program will teach you, guide you, and build a lifelong network of students, faculty, and alumni who have broad experience and expertise.

7. Take the next step in investing in yourself
Deciding to pursue an MBA demonstrates your commitment to advancing your career and strengthening your skills. Your boss and others around you will see that you are dedicated to continued growth and learning, and stepping back into the classroom will be like hitting “refresh” on your passions and pursuits.

Think an executive MBA might be the right fit for you? Not all programs are the same—we encourage you to discover what distinguishes the MBA for Executives Program at Berkeley-Haas. 

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: "Best & Brightest" in FTMBA Class of 2016

Leading changes in MBA culture to make it more inclusive for women and minorities; launching the Nairobi office for a mobile micro-lending startup; serving as student government president; creating a "Hot Topics" discussion series focused on hard-to-talk-about issues; and piloting a new leadership program for 1st-year students.

Those are just a few of the accomplishments of four students in the full-time MBA Class of 2016 recently featured by Poets & Quants in their lists of The Best & Brightest MBAsin the Class of 2016 and 2016 MBAs to Watch

During their two years at Haas, these students—Sarah TaitDan Fishman, Angela Steele, and Jen Fisher (pictured clockwise from top left)—racked up a long list of leadership accomplishments while successfully completing the rigorous program. All of them were nominated by the program for their stand-out contributions.

Poets & Quants described the students on their "Best & Brightest" list like this: 

"They were leaders, volunteers and problem-solvers, who started conversations, challenged conventions, rallied peers, and inspired change. Lauded for their passion, ingenuity, and humility, they were tagged with labels like the 'cream of the crop' and the 'total package.'"

Haas faculty members and senior staff also sang their praises in nominating them for the list. Adj. Assoc. Prof. Kellie McElhaney had this to say about Tait: 

"Here is why Sarah is such a powerful leader: She asks smart, great, clear, concise questions and there is no way you cannot answer. She collects data, presents it clearly, analyzes, and develops the best strategy mdireoving forward. She understands the problem, but spends far longer on developing a fleet of solutions. She presents these solutions with so much gravitas, data, and logic- and mixes it with emotional intelligence, grace, charm and persuasive communication acumen. We will see her on a national ballot some day.”

Amy Hornstein, director of student affairs for the full-time MBA program, said Steele impressed her from Day One—a feeling that only increased as she moved through the program. Steele was 

"I have worked with many bright and accomplished student leaders for over a decade and Angela stands out for her exceptional creativity and vision accompanied by the tenacity, organizational and project management skills to accomplish the ambitious goals she set for the year. From my very first meeting with Angela in early 2015, I was impressed by her thoughtfulness and the breadth of her strategic vision for expanding diversity programming and enabling students from all backgrounds to learn from each other and develop as people and as leaders."

Steele and Fisher were also honored by classmates at commencement with The Berkeley Leader Award, given to a student who embodies the four Haas Defining Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself; Fischer won the award for Confidence Without Attitude, and Tait won for Students Always. 

Read their full profiles, including their favorite professors, biggest lessons and biggest surprises, and why they chose Haas:

Sarah Tait

Dan Fishman

Angela Steele

Jen Fischer

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Part-time MBA or Executive MBA? Two Berkeley-Haas Programs at-a-glance

If you've decided you want to continue working while you earn your MBA, then you are likely looking at evening MBA, weekend MBA, and executive MBA programs. Here at Berkeley, you'd be considering our Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program and our MBA for Executives Program

How are they alike?  All three confer a degree respected worldwide. And they share an emphasis on leadership, innovation, and on-the-ground learning, a world-renowned faculty, and our Berkeley-Haas culture and Defining Principles of Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself.

How do they differ? Compare these two programs at at glance: 

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: The Berkeley MBA Behind Pokémon Go
Haas alum John Hanke first put the earth in your pocket, then released pocket monsters on planet Earth. Hanke, MBA 96, is CEO of Niantic Labs, the innovator behind Pokémon Go.  

Haas Alum/Niantic CEO John Hanke pays a surprise visit to a Berkeley Executive Education class

The “augmented reality” game put millions on the hunt for animated Japanese characters—which pop up with the help of location services. The New York Timesdeclared it a moment “when a new technology—in this case, augmented reality or A.R., which fuses digital technology with the physical world—breaks through from a niche toy for early adopters to something much bigger.”

It is not the first time Hanke has taken breakthrough technology mainstream; he co-founded Keyhole, which developed the technology that became Google Earth, Maps, and Street View. After Google acquired Keyhole, Hanke led the “geo division” until 2010, when he launched Niantic Labs inside Google to focus on next-gen games. He spun Niantic out as a separate company in late 2015.

As a Berkeley MBA, Hanke redefines the way we do business by living the Berkeley-Haas Defining Principles. This includes questioning the status quo on a global scale and going beyond himself to serve as a Berkeley-Haas Executive Fellow. In this role, he shares wisdom with students from time to time: he recently  surprised students in an executive education course who were analyzing a new case study on Niantic's spin-off from Google.   

Hanke credits Berkeley-Haas for helping him cultivate not only the skills, but also the mindset to become a professional entrepreneur. For him, the success of Pokémon go is a realization of the vision he came to Haas to achieve.

“My essay to Haas was written about the opportunity in the space of interactive gaming and technology,” Hanke said in 2014 Haas video. “I wanted to build applications that would deepen people’s involvement in their town or community, to encourage people to actually meet up in the real world.”

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73527 [0]
Given Kudos: 19083
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All Berkeley Haas Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All Berkeley Haas Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All Berkeley Haas Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated Berkeley Haas Forum to dive into all things related to Berkeley Haas's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts