Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all DeGroote (McMaster University) MBA Applicants: 2017 Intake [#permalink]
Kudos
hi guys
greetings and a late Merry Christmas!

I have applied to Mcmaster Coop MBA in 2017 and I have received the invitation for interview on 5th Jan.
As stated in the invitation email, the interview is supposedly a behavior based interview lasting for 30 minutes.
However, I gathered from experience in the past years that there were 2 interviews, one general and another behavioral.
The second one is said to be over 1.5 hours.
Is there a change of policy? or there will still be a second interview coming depending on my performance on the first one?

Really grateful if anyone with relevant knowledge could throw some lights upon my confusion.

Thank you!!!

Originally posted by KatastroficR on 27 Dec 2016, 02:26.
Last edited by KatastroficR on 06 Jan 2017, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all DeGroote (McMaster University) MBA Applicants: 2017 Intake [#permalink]
Dear KatastroficR

I completed my Behavioral Interview with DeGroote and then the college closed for Christmas holidays. So i am still waiting for the result. As for the interview, like stated in the invitation letter , it was lasted for 30 mins. The format has changed this year and only one 30 min interview will be conducted after which you hear the final result. The interview questions were basic behavioral quests like , tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership skills , When have you failed to complete a task assigned to you , one thing you had to do without your willingness , where have you helped a co-worker or classmate , and some situational questions . There were almost 10-12 questions overall.

I hope this helps solve your confusion !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
applicant19 wrote:
Dear KatastroficR

I completed my Behavioral Interview with DeGroote and then the college closed for Christmas holidays. So i am still waiting for the result. As for the interview, like stated in the invitation letter , it was lasted for 30 mins. The format has changed this year and only one 30 min interview will be conducted after which you hear the final result. The interview questions were basic behavioral quests like , tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership skills , When have you failed to complete a task assigned to you , one thing you had to do without your willingness , where have you helped a co-worker or classmate , and some situational questions . There were almost 10-12 questions overall.

Dear Applicant19,

Thanks for your sharing and happy new year!
I've already started to prepare my interview under your kind instructions.
Mcmaster used to offer a fulltime seat to the applicant failed to perform well in the coop interview, so I guess this year Mcmaster has canceled this practice with only one interview taken.

Anyway, I hope that we could both get enrolled and we could see each other in september in Degroote!
Best Regards,
KatastroficR
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Schools: DeGroote
Send PM
KatastroficR wrote:
applicant19 wrote:
Dear KatastroficR

Dear Applicant19,

Mcmaster used to offer a fulltime seat to the applicant failed to perform well in the coop interview, so I guess this year Mcmaster has canceled this practice with only one interview taken.

Anyway, I hope that we could both get enrolled and we could see each other in september in Degroote!
Best Regards,
KatastroficR

Just wanted to see if we can get a breakdown on how your interview went today
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jeevan93 wrote:
KatastroficR wrote:
applicant19 wrote:
Dear KatastroficR

Dear Applicant19,

Best Regards,
KatastroficR

Just wanted to see if we can get a breakdown on how your interview went today

Hi Dear Jeevan93

Sorry to reply it so late.

Actually I think I can say that the interview went pretty well.

I received the offer one week upon the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear KatastroficR

Did you get into co-op or full-time?I got into full time and now i am a little confused whether i should go with it or not. Any suggestions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
applicant19 wrote:
Dear KatastroficR

Did you get into co-op or full-time?I got into full time and now i am a little confused whether i should go with it or not. Any suggestions?

I am admitted to the Co-op program.
Can I know what other offers do you have now?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
I applied in only two Colleges - Sauder School of business and DeGroote school of business. I was not shortlisted after the final interview round in Sauder. And, as you are aware, i have a full-time MBA offer from Degroote.So my only other option is to take GMAT again and gain some more work experience during that time.
GMAT Score - 650
Years of Experience - 2
Intern
Intern
Send PM
applicant19 wrote:
I applied in only two Colleges - Sauder School of business and DeGroote school of business. I was not shortlisted after the final interview round in Sauder. And, as you are aware, i have a full-time MBA offer from Degroote.So my only other option is to take GMAT again and gain some more work experience during that time.
GMAT Score - 650
Years of Experience - 2

Understood.
Considering the resemblance of our background (GMAT 670 full time work experience 2 years), I suggest you as follows:
1. If you are a permanent residence of Canada or feel like on a critical year of attaining this MBA degree, choose Degroote since it's your only offer.
At the end of the program there's a four-month period for internship so if you make enough effort in networking and using the career resources Degroote offers, I think it's not very hard to get employed after graduation. Degroote may not be a top business school but it's considered locally a good one.
2. If you are still employed and can wait for another year, you might as well rewrite your GMAT and shot for schools in a tiered manner. But GMAT is not the key indicator Business school considers.
3. It's still not late for applying for some other schools. You also could do both. Shot for some other schools while rewriting you GMAT. I think you could still catch some top schools.

My email is Zhangran0919@hotmail.com

If you do decide to accept the full time offer, we could get to know each other before the semester starts!

Good luck dear

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Can anybody please share thoughts on FT MBA placements statistics.
All I can find is co-op placements,

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: DeGroote (A$)
Send PM
Hi, I am a current FT MBA student at Mcmaster.

Class Size Co-op = 120 students (Majority from Canada, rest mostly from India and China, there are 2 or 3 students from south america)
Full time - 40 to 50 students (currently 40% canadians, 15% indians, 25% Chinese and rest from other)
Classes of Co-op students and FT takes place together except for the second semester.

Originally posted by scorpionmba on 19 Jan 2017, 23:13.
Last edited by scorpionmba on 02 Feb 2018, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prateek720 wrote:

Guys don't even consider the FT program as the class profile of students is not worth the fees you will pay and the School focuses more on Co-Op students.

Anybody applying for FT program just doesn't bother, I feel like I have wasted my time and money.

There are no stats available for Job placements of FT students. The school doesn't help FT students to get jobs as they do for Co-op students.

Remember the school and Employer has an incentive to hire Co-op students for internships as the Govt of Canada provides Tax rebates/Credits up to $7k for every Co-op student hired by the employer. Whereas on hiring FT student, there is not tax benefit for the employer.

So, if anybody wants to apply then only consider Co-op option in case you are okay to study with young graduates between 22 to 24 years old. There are some older students,you will only find Indian and Chinese over 24 years old age in the Co-op program however Canadians who opt for Co-Op MBA are young graduates or students with up to 2 years of experience.

Class Size Co-op = 120 students (Majority from Canada, rest mostly from India and China, there are 2 or 3 students from south america)
Full time - 40 to 50 students (currently 40% canadians, 15% indians, 25% Chinese and rest from other)
Classes of Co-op students and FT takes place together except for the second semester.

Thanks Prateek for the information.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Hi everyone!

I got an offer for the Co-op program and thought I should share some insight on my application process.

Application submitted: November 30th
Video interview completed: December 5th
Co-op interview: January 6th
Received offer: January 20th

I did horribly on the video interview because I was really nervous and ended up not answering the questions well. Make sure you get enough practice talking into a camera as I think that would really help!

My in person Co-op interview was a very positive experience. The questions I received for the Co-op interview were very similar to the ones 'applicant19' has provided and the interviewers were extremely friendly and courteous.

My applicant details:

GMAT: 650
WE: 2.5 Years in Financial Services
CGPA: 3.35
Domestic Applicant

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prateek720 wrote:

Guys don't even consider the FT program as the class profile of students is not worth the fees you will pay and the School focuses more on Co-Op students.

Anybody applying for FT program just doesn't bother, I feel like I have wasted my time and money.

There are no stats available for Job placements of FT students. The school doesn't help FT students to get jobs as they do for Co-op students.

Remember the school and Employer has an incentive to hire Co-op students for internships as the Govt of Canada provides Tax rebates/Credits up to $7k for every Co-op student hired by the employer. Whereas on hiring FT student, there is not tax benefit for the employer.

So, if anybody wants to apply then only consider Co-op option in case you are okay to study with young graduates between 22 to 24 years old. There are some older students,you will only find Indian and Chinese over 24 years old age in the Co-op program however Canadians who opt for Co-Op MBA are young graduates or students with up to 2 years of experience.

Hi Prateek,

I have few questions. I sincerely hope you can help me with these, and I will be highly obliged for the same,

1. How much work experience did you have before MBA?

2. Are you an international student?
Your specialization?

3. As per my understanding from your previous post, more than 80% full time students have to find their jobs themselves because college does not help finding jobs. Is this what I should consider?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,

I have got an admit from John Molson and DeGoorte . I have Engineering Degree and worked in Software for 7 years.

I am inclining towards John Molson as its cheaper than DeGroote but my apprehension is about the job market post graduation. Ontario has a lot of opportunities but I am not quite sure about Montreal. Can someone please advise !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingsa wrote:
prateek720 wrote:

Hi Prateek,

I have few questions. I sincerely hope you can help me with these, and I will be highly obliged for the same,

1. How much work experience did you have before MBA?

2. Are you an international student?
Your specialization?

3. As per my understanding from your previous post, more than 80% full time students have to find their jobs themselves because college does not help finding jobs. Is this what I should consider?

1.) I have 4 years of work experience before starting the MBA course.
2.)Yes, I am an International student. I haven't decided on my specialization yet as I am in 2nd semester.
3.) I am not where 80% comes from. If you are an international student then you should consider it as you will be investing over 100,000 dollars in 20 months which is not worth it for DeGroote. If you are canadian then your investment us 40,000 dollars + living which is okay if you dont have any other better options.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pbrar17 wrote:
Hi,

I have got an admit from John Molson and DeGoorte . I have Engineering Degree and worked in Software for 7 years.

I am inclining towards John Molson as its cheaper than DeGroote but my apprehension is about the job market post graduation. Ontario has a lot of opportunities but I am not quite sure about Montreal. Can someone please advise !

Are you an admit for Co-op or FT MBA at DeGroote

Check out the link. You can't go wrong with the Globe and mail for Canada. Apply to other schools as well.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e33614633/

Global Elite (Top Four)

Desautels (McGill)

Ivey

Rotman

Sauder

Top-Tier Employability

HEC Montréal

Schulich

Smith (Queens university)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts