Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 22:50 It is currently 04 May 2024, 22:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8821 [66]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15280 [16]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 511 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Skywalker18 wrote:
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel , measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights up to five pounds.
a.measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights

b. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighing

c. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing

d. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , weighing

e. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs

Answer is E) since it maintains the Parallel structure
which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs

+1 for kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
Re: Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel , measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail,
with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half
, and it weights
up to five pounds.

a.measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights - The sentence has 2 modifiers inserted between a clause where. Correct

b. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighing - Here it tries to create parallelism between non existent parallel element. Also a wingspan... is a noun modifier. Due to its placement it modifies tail. The third element which is a phrase ain't parallel to the first element which is a clause.

c. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing - Here it converts the second element into a clause that is connected inappropriately with the first. Also , it connects a clause with a phrase with the help of and which anyway connects 2 parallel elements.

d. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , weighing - It converts it weighs which is part of the main clause into a modifier as a third element causing a shift in meaning.

e. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs - Grammatically correct option but creates parallelism between elements which weren't parallel causing a shift in meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Daagh,

I had the following questions in bold to your responses:

Option A: is there a transcription typo in saying ‘it weights”? Let’s take that the corrected version says “, and it weighs”. Even then, it runs into problems.

We m first have an IC and then two back to back modifier phrases modifying the first IC and then a another IC conjoined by a coordinator ‘and’ . Ok apparently fine; but the problem is that the back-to-back modifiers should themselves be separated by another ‘and’. - If we use and here then the modifiers need to be parallel. The issues is one is a verbing and the other is a prep phrase. That will not be parallel. Do you think that's right?

Secondly, assuming that the second IC’s ‘it’ refers to the squirrel, we can do without the pronoun and the sentence will still be grammatical as the same subject can be elliptically used in the place of the stated pronoun. Many times, it has been felt that it is redundant to state the pronoun yet again. - If you look at the subject it is a noun phrase saying among the many....I think a pronoun simplifies it and refers to the squirrel instead of the entire noun phrase. What's your thought on this?

If we are referring to the squirrel with three features, it is best to put them all in// structures as does E.[/quote] - For the reasons stated above I think E changes meaning by changing the focus of the sentence.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
nishatfarhat87 wrote:
If we use and here then the modifiers need to be parallel. The issues is one is a verbing and the other is a prep phrase. That will not be parallel. Do you think that's right?

Hi nishatfarhat87, I believe what daagh sir meant was that at the very least, there should have been an and (not that the sentence would have been completely correct in that case).

Quote:
If you look at the subject it is a noun phrase saying among the many....I think a pronoun simplifies it and refers to the squirrel instead of the entire noun phrase. What's your thought on this?

Actually the subject is the Japanese giant flying squirrel (that's also the reason for singular verb is). Such constructs are called inverted constructs; test-takers should be comfortable with these constructs.

Quote:
For the reasons stated above I think E changes meaning by changing the focus of the sentence.

Actually E puts equal focus on the three features, because of this parallelism: ....which measures <something>..., has <something>, and weighs <something>

So, Parallelism is between three verbs: measures, has, and weighs.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Inverted construct, its application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I think this is a remake of OG question about flying reptile. The same wording))
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Hi,

I just learnt the concept of Verb-ing Modifiers today and tried to apply the same here.
According to me :-
in A/ B < measuring > , needs to modify the entire clause <Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel >

This Modification of the Entire clause by < measuring > seems incorrect to me.

C > which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing <<< Seems to be Parallelism Issue to me>>

D > "AND" should be there before "Weighs"

E > which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs

< Seems good to me >

Kindly note that I have laid my hands on Verb-ed/ Verb-Ing Modifiers only today.Kindly correct me if I have said something incorrect.

Regards,
Abhishek

EducationAisle wrote:
nishatfarhat87 wrote:
If we use and here then the modifiers need to be parallel. The issues is one is a verbing and the other is a prep phrase. That will not be parallel. Do you think that's right?

Hi nishatfarhat87, I believe what daagh sir meant was that at the very least, there should have been an and (not that the sentence would have been completely correct in that case).

Quote:
If you look at the subject it is a noun phrase saying among the many....I think a pronoun simplifies it and refers to the squirrel instead of the entire noun phrase. What's your thought on this?

Actually the subject is the Japanese giant flying squirrel (that's also the reason for singular verb is). Such constructs are called inverted constructs; test-takers should be comfortable with these constructs.

Quote:
For the reasons stated above I think E changes meaning by changing the focus of the sentence.

Actually E puts equal focus on the three features, because of this parallelism: ....which measures <something>..., has <something>, and weighs <something>

So, Parallelism is between three verbs: measures, has, and weighs.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Inverted construct, its application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel.

is weighs didn't make sense to me. is there anybody who can breakdown the sentence?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
is weighs didn't make sense to me. is there anybody who can breakdown the sentence?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel , measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights up to five pounds.

a. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and it weights

b. measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighing

NOW YOU READ THE LAST THREE AT ONCE

c. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , its wingspan is more than a foot and a half , and weighing

d. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , weighing

e. which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail , has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half , and weighs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi, can anyone enlighten me why B is wrong?

Is it because ",measuring...." modifies a clause and not the noun before it, which in this case "measuring" is modifying the squirrel, hence the comma is excessive?

Ing modifier performs as a noun modifier without a comma in fron
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
tanww1987 wrote:
Hi, can anyone enlighten me why B is wrong?

Is it because ",measuring...." modifies a clause and not the noun before it, which in this case "measuring" is modifying the squirrel, hence the comma is excessive?

Ing modifier performs as a noun modifier without a comma in fron

Hi tanww1987,

let me try

Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel
, measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, - here 'measuring' is correctly modifying squirrel (note it is not just separated by a comma but a pair of comma)

, with a wingspan of more than a foot and a half,

and it weights up to five pounds.

B is wrong because parallelism is not maintained.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This is a question based on parallelism.
A. “it weighs” is not parallel to “measuring”. So, A is out.
B. “a wingspan” doesn’t give a clear picture that flying squirrel has a wingspan.
C. “which measure”, “its wingspan” and “weighing” are not parallel.
D. “which measure”, “with a wingspan” and “weighing” are not parallel.
E. It has a complete parallel structure. Hence, E is the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
This is a question based on parallelism.
A. “it weighs” is not parallel to “measuring”. So, A is out.
B. “a wingspan” doesn’t give a clear picture that flying squirrel has a wingspan.
C. “which measure”, “its wingspan” and “weighing” are not parallel.
D. “which measure”, “with a wingspan” and “weighing” are not parallel.
E. It has a complete parallel structure. Hence, E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
E) which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half, and weighs

Why relative pronoun is not repeated here?
I thought the right option should be : which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, which has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half, and which weighs
That's why I crossed out option E.
Experts your input is required.
In Manhattan Book Page : 91 , . Parallelism Question No. 12. We have relative pronoun repeated.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
E) which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half, and weighs

I thought the right option should be : which measures two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, which has a wingspan of more than a foot and a half, and which weighs
In Manhattan Book Page : 91 , . Parallelism Question No. 12. We have relative pronoun repeated.

You can go thru this post on when the relative pronoun should be repeated.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, if all the elements in a list take the same relative pronoun or preposition, it does not need to be repeated throughout the list; one use of the preposition or relative pronoun at the beginning of the sentence can be held common for the entire list.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1048 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Hi AndrewN,

Would (B) be correct if it were written like this:

Among the largest of the flying squirrels is the Japanese giant flying squirrel, measuring two feet from the top of its head to the tip of its tail, having a wingspan of more than a foot and a half, and weighing up to five pounds.
Three coloured verb-ing modifiers modifying the noun giant flying squirrel.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts