Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 21:35 It is currently 07 May 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: UCLA ($) vs ISB for Mckinsey , Bain , BCG (MBB) recruitment [#permalink]
I did a quick study - There were 18 students from ISB 2016 batch who got thru at Mckinsey (per linkedin)

NIT : 3
IIT : 9
Other (NIT peers) : 6
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bb10 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
bb10 wrote:
Hello all,

I have a decision to make between going to UCLA (with 40K) or ISB for my MBA this year.

I want to join one of the MBB consulting firms. But from my analysis of placements (via linkedin and reports), MBB have a bias for IIT/NIT people when recruiting from ISB.

UCLA is not really a consulting school but still places 10-12 ppl in total at MBB.

My second target after consulting will have been Technology - but from what I understand, both UCLA and ISB offer good chances of employment in this domain?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hi bb10,

If your aim is specifically MBB, then UCLA makes more sense. Although UCLA has not traditionally been considered a 'consulting school', it does have solid relationships with consulting recruiters.

As far as ISB goes re consulting, please note that McK/BCG will recruit small numbers, and while IITians with high GPAs and suitable profiles (operations or consulting backgrounds) may get a look-in, there is no preference for NIT students as such. Bain has started recruiting on campus at ISB fairly recently.

As far as technology goes, the kind of opportunities you would get within that domain at UCLA and ISB will differ a lot too. UCLA, though not exactly in Silicon Valley is close enough to it, and will open up some strong opportunities to work in and around Silicon Valley, and that itself may be a strong enticement for people looking for tech careers. ISB, too offers, excellent opportunities in this domain, including with established IT majors, IT consulting firms, and of course tech-enabled startups.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

Thanks Gyanone!

Appreciate the insights.

W.r.t ISB and recruiting at MBB firms - does the recruitment depend on performance during the ISB program? i.e. most US schools do not disclose grades to recruiters, but at ISB I have heard the top 10% get a preference?

THanks again - I'm open to having a detailed chat online - please PM me a number to reach you at if needed.

Hi bb10,

Yes, the recruitment at ISB does depend on grades + other factors such as background, networking, and achievements and leadership during the program. The dean's list/merit list holders at ISB do get preference.

Our contact details are available on our website and you are welcome to contact us.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
bb10 wrote:
I did a quick study - There were 18 students from ISB 2016 batch who got thru at Mckinsey (per linkedin)

NIT : 3
IIT : 9
Other (NIT peers) : 6

Seems quite accurate. LinkedIn should give you a pretty good view on that front in this case. Also, don't judge these people too much by only their academic backgrounds. Other factors such as grades, experience, leadership, networking etc would also have been play (more significantly) here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi bb10,
Good to know you've made it to UCLA and ISB.
My views are similar what Gyanone has already mentioned. Overall UCLA makes more sense. Though MBB is tough from every school but chances r more from UCLA. Also in a 2 year program you get more time to prepare. Also consider that UCLA batch is slightly smaller at 300 something compared to traditional 4xx in most US schools. As such you'll get a better chance of targeting specific recruiters as compared to 800-900 batch strength of ISB.

Let me know what you finally choose :-D You already have my number...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Rohit6 wrote:
Hi bb10,
Good to know you've made it to UCLA and ISB.
My views are similar what Gyanone has already mentioned. Overall UCLA makes more sense. Though MBB is tough from every school but chances r more from UCLA. Also in a 2 year program you get more time to prepare. Also consider that UCLA batch is slightly smaller at 300 something compared to traditional 4xx in most US schools. As such you'll get a better chance of targeting specific recruiters as compared to 800-900 batch strength of ISB.

Let me know what you finally choose :-D You already have my number...

Hey man - Not sure if I have your number - but I just Pm-ed you mine.

bb Narenn
Any thoughts gentlemen?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51488 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would pick UCLA if I had the same situation, but it really depends on your age, goals, and what you really want to do in an MBA program. The UCLA MBA, above all, gives you access to the lucrative US market and is a more traditional 2Y program. ISB, on the other hand, is a great way to fast track your career for a 100-200% increase in your salary. I would argue that getting into consulting, especially MBB, will be difficult for both (except if you get into the Dean's list at ISB, you have a fair shot), but I would much rather pick UCLA for the variety of options, including the bay area vicinity.

All that being said, I know a few people who went to great B Schools (think Booth, Darden etc) and have exhausted their options after OPT to come back to India with a huge debt, and of course, that is a very unfortunate position to be.

In conclusion, I'd pick UCLA and take the risk, but it is your call.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
I would pick UCLA if I had the same situation, but it really depends on your age, goals, and what you really want to do in an MBA program. The UCLA MBA, above all, gives you access to the lucrative US market and is a more traditional 2Y program. ISB, on the other hand, is a great way to fast track your career for a 100-200% increase in your salary. I would argue that getting into consulting, especially MBB, will be difficult for both (except if you get into the Dean's list at ISB, you have a fair shot), but I would much rather pick UCLA for the variety of options, including the bay area vicinity.

All that being said, I know a few people who went to great B Schools (think Booth, Darden etc) and have exhausted their options after OPT to come back to India with a huge debt, and of course, that is a very unfortunate position to be.

In conclusion, I'd pick UCLA and take the risk, but it is your call.

Thanks for the input mate!

I'm curious about your contacts who didn't get a job after Booth (since Booth boasts a 99% employment of international students within 3 months of graduation).

Which industry were they in post grad? What was the roadblock?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51488 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
They all get job offers after graduation. But that does not take into account H1B woes a year after graduation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
On a similar note, may be we can discuss this in more detail here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-concerns ... 33213.html

souvik101990 wrote:
They all get job offers after graduation. But that does not take into account H1B woes a year after graduation.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts