Last visit was: 29 May 2024, 01:27 It is currently 29 May 2024, 01:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: IESE '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16745 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11700 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A score drop from 660 to 540/ Need at least 710/ Please help! [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your answers. Sorry for not responding earlier, but for the past 2 weeks I've been extremly busy (not only because of the GMAT),

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tomasz,

The one score that appears legitimate is the 650, but since that's the only score, we don't have any proof about how consistent your actual 'ability level' is.
Rich

Rich, You were right - yesterday I took the exam and scored exactly 650 Q39,V40. (partialy my weak Quant score was a result of stress - I was 1min late from the 8min break and because of bad timining I had to almost quess that last 2 questions). Supprisingly my Verbal score was relatively high - during the last 4 days before the exam I had focused only on the questions from my error log and I think this helped a lot.

Of course I plan to retake the exam. Although, I haven't scheduled it yet. I plan to take it before 15th of June. I don't know if I should focus only on quant (my score range is between 39-44, although I scored once 49 when I retook one of the GMAT Prep exams) or quant and verbal (my recent score of V40 was satisfying, but as you can see my previous scores ranged between 33-40).

I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to create a strategic plan for the following weeks.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,
Tomasz
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: A score drop from 660 to 540/ Need at least 710/ Please help! [#permalink]
MrT wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your answers. Sorry for not responding earlier, but for the past 2 weeks I've been extremly busy (not only because of the GMAT),

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tomasz,

The one score that appears legitimate is the 650, but since that's the only score, we don't have any proof about how consistent your actual 'ability level' is.
Rich

Rich, You were right - yesterday I took the exam and scored exactly 650 Q39,V40. (partialy my weak Quant score was a result of stress - I was 1min late from the 8min break and because of bad timining I had to almost quess that last 2 questions). Supprisingly my Verbal score was relatively high - during the last 4 days before the exam I had focused only on the questions from my error log and I think this helped a lot.

Of course I plan to retake the exam. Although, I haven't scheduled it yet. I plan to take it before 15th of June. I don't know if I should focus only on quant (my score range is between 39-44, although I scored once 49 when I retook one of the GMAT Prep exams) or quant and verbal (my recent score of V40 was satisfying, but as you can see my previous scores ranged between 33-40).

I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to create a strategic plan for the following weeks.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,
Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

I think that because you took 3 or 4 CATS from different exam providers (GMAT Prep then GMATClub) you're score cannot be compared. You need to do 3 or GMAT Prep for an apple-to-apple comparison. From my experience, and I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me, the GMAT Club Quant section is very tricky. So don't expect the same score.

Similarly the Manhattan Quant section is exceptionally long so I take this into consideration whenever I take an MGMAT test and score below my target score for the Quant. I hope this helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tomasz,

First off, a 650 is a strong overall score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. The Q39 might be seen as a 'red flag' at certain Programs though, so it's understandable that you'd want to retest.

That Q39 means that you made lots of little mistakes throughout the section (meaning that you either don't know the content well enough OR "your way" of approaching questions leaves you open to making those little mistakes). In addition, you would have missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' questions. Thankfully, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improving, but you'll have to make some significant adjustments to how you handle the Quant section.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level - and it appears that this has happened to you as well. As such, you'll likely need to invest in some new non-book resources.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Abulsirr wrote:
MrT wrote:

Hi Tomasz,

I think that because you took 3 or 4 CATS from different exam providers (GMAT Prep then GMATClub) you're score cannot be compared. You need to do 3 or GMAT Prep for an apple-to-apple comparison. From my experience, and I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me, the GMAT Club Quant section is very tricky. So don't expect the same score.

Similarly the Manhattan Quant section is exceptionally long so I take this into consideration whenever I take an MGMAT test and score below my target score for the Quant. I hope this helps.

Abulsirr, thank you. You are right, as the those CATs really seemed to be very different - especially the one from GMAT Club seemed to be much more difficult than the other ones.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tomasz,

First off, a 650 is a strong overall score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. The Q39 might be seen as a 'red flag' at certain Programs though, so it's understandable that you'd want to retest.

That Q39 means that you made lots of little mistakes throughout the section (meaning that you either don't know the content well enough OR "your way" of approaching questions leaves you open to making those little mistakes). In addition, you would have missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' questions. Thankfully, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improving, but you'll have to make some significant adjustments to how you handle the Quant section.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level - and it appears that this has happened to you as well. As such, you'll likely need to invest in some new non-book resources.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Thank you Rich for your answer. I quess that 650 is not a terrible score, but for the schools I'm aiming 710-720 would much better. I fully agree that there must be something wrong with my current approach, especially considering the fact that I always felt that math is my strong point (I'm a trader so I work with big numbers everyday).

Regarding your question, below is my current study plan:
Monday - a day off
Tuesday - 1,5h of learning
Wednesday - 1,5h of learning
Thursday - 1,5h of learning
Friday - a day off
Saturday - 4-5h of learning
Sunday - 4-5h of learning

Btw, below is an updated list of CATs I did (including the "real" GMAT):
- Veritas 630 (Q43, V33)/Date: 11 March - Verbal and Quant done 1 day apart, no IR, nor AWA
-GMAT Prep 660 (Q41, V40)/Date: 19 March/ IR7, no AWA
-GMAT Prep 650 (Q44, V35)/ Date: 2 April / IR8, AWA included
-GMAT Club 540 (Q36, V28)/ Date: 6 April/ no IR, AWA included - had a rough week at work so it might have some impact on the scor
-GMAT Prep 640 (Q46, V33)/ Date: 14 April/ IR6, AWA included
-GMAT Prep 700 (Q49, V36)/ Date: 20 April/ IR6, no AWA - it was the same test I did a week earlier so the score is inflated
-GMAT 650 (Q39, V40)/ Date: 25 April/IR 6, AWA included
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi Mr. T i would like to hear about your GMAT experience. Alot of people complain that the verbal part is actually harder than the GMATprep tests, did you find this to be the case? It looks like you did better on the verbal part than on your mock tests.

Look forward to hearing from you. Also I think its possible that you're overthinking the quant part, you may have made some silly errors due to anxiety or stress. Try rethink how your test went and learn from the experience. I think if you re-write in 3-4 weeks you can definitely score 700 if you focus on Quant.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tomasz,

If you think that the Quant section of the GMAT is a 'math test', then that's part of the problem. It's actually a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. As such, to significantly improve that Q39, you have to change how you 'see' (and respond to) that section of the GMAT. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. So now, the question is really how 'flexible' a thinker you are - can you commit to learning and practicing the proper Tactics or are you going to continue to treat the Quant section in the same ways as before?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jkolachi wrote:
Hi Mr. T i would like to hear about your GMAT experience. Alot of people complain that the verbal part is actually harder than the GMATprep tests, did you find this to be the case? It looks like you did better on the verbal part than on your mock tests.

Look forward to hearing from you. Also I think its possible that you're overthinking the quant part, you may have made some silly errors due to anxiety or stress. Try rethink how your test went and learn from the experience. I think if you re-write in 3-4 weeks you can definitely score 700 if you focus on Quant.

Good luck!

Hi jkolachi,

Thank you for your support:) I will give myself a bit more time (6-8weeks) and hopefully this would be enough.

To be honest I was supprised by my verbal score, because I managed to score this high only in one mock test and, what is more important, I'm a non-native english speaker. Regadring your question, I haven't seen any difference between the difficulty level of the GMAT Prep and the real test. CR and RC were always my strong points so I haven't prepared for them much (although I can definitely work on timinig as I spend to much on time reading the passages). SC was my weakest spot in the GMAT so I focused on this type of question most, especially in during the final days before the exam. I think it helped a lot, as I've started to understand how to reject most of the answer choices.

Regarding my quant score, as you can see, I scored in most of my CATs between 41-46 (excluding the GMAT Club test) so definitely my low score on the exam was partially due to anxiety and bad timing (I was 1min late from the brake and didn't have enough time for the last 2 questions).

If you have any further questions about my GMAT experience please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Tomasz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tomasz,

If you think that the Quant section of the GMAT is a 'math test', then that's part of the problem. It's actually a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. As such, to significantly improve that Q39, you have to change how you 'see' (and respond to) that section of the GMAT. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. So now, the question is really how 'flexible' a thinker you are - can you commit to learning and practicing the proper Tactics or are you going to continue to treat the Quant section in the same ways as before?

Rich

Hi Rich,

You might be right. I think my low score is due to bad tactics and bad timing, although as you can see from my mock CATs, usually my quant score is a bit better and ranges between 41-46. I am difinitely willing to do everything necessary to achieve my target score so I would be very happy to hear about any new tactics or approaches to solving the GMAT questions:)

Regards,
Tomasz
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tomasz,

Based on everything that you've described, and your performance on the Official GMAT, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot