Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:38 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 200 Q48 V37
GPA: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Advice needed for a South African applicant! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nrxbra001 wrote:
Hey guys and girls,

So I have taken my GMAT today and although I was about 30 points shy of my target, I still mustered up a little 690 (Q78, V37) (grateful for that because my highest MGMAT CAT was 660!). Now I move on to my next worry, which school will have me!?

My background is in chemical engineering, working for 4 years out in South Africa. My undergrad marks were average. I am looking at applying to some schools in the US (NYU Stern, Columbia, Duke Fuqua, MIT Sloan) and also to some in the UK (Oxford and Cambridge).

I am worried that my GMAT is low and will affect my chances of admission to these schools.

Any advice? The age old question, is it worth a re-take?

It really depends on the rest of your profile, as the GMAT score is just one parameter that the schools look at. So I would want some more details about you in order to answer that. (Especially interested in any unique back story, promotions during your career and extracurricular activities)

So feel free to either write more about that here or contact ARINGO directly with this additional information here: https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/

JL
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
nrxbra001 wrote:
Hey guys and girls,

So I have taken my GMAT today and although I was about 30 points shy of my target, I still mustered up a little 690 (Q78, V37) (grateful for that because my highest MGMAT CAT was 660!). Now I move on to my next worry, which school will have me!?

My background is in chemical engineering, working for 4 years out in South Africa. My undergrad marks were average. I am looking at applying to some schools in the US (NYU Stern, Columbia, Duke Fuqua, MIT Sloan) and also to some in the UK (Oxford and Cambridge).

I am worried that my GMAT is low and will affect my chances of admission to these schools.

Any advice? The age old question, is it worth a re-take?

Thank you for the post and it is a pleasure to meet you. I am working with another applicant from South Africa now and I was just in Cape Town and Joburg a few months ago. I would love to learn a bit more and then would be happy to schedule time to discuss and compare you against my other client and the broader applicant pool.

Undergraduate: What school did you go to and what were your specific grades?
Work ex: Company and role? Did you work for one company or more than one?
Extra-currics: Leadership roles?
Demographics: ??

Truthfully I could give you advice but it would not be well informed until I learn a bit more about you!

Please send your resume and we can chat further. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot