Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 21:20 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 21:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [21]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Tanner: The public should demand political debates before [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Tanner: The public should demand political debates before any election. Voters are better able to choose the candidate best suited for office if they watch the candidates seriously debate one another.
Saldana: Political debates almost always benefit the candidate who has the better debating skills. Thus, they don't really help voters determine which candidate is most qualified for office.

The dialogue provides the most support for the claim that Tanner and Saldana disagree over which one of the following?

The two highlighted sentences talks about the voter and the scenario wherein they choose the candidate for office.

Option B makes sense. very subtle English wording indeed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: CBS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
lMarial wrote:
Tanner: The public should demand political debates before any election. Voters are better able to choose the candidate best suited for office if they watch the candidates seriously debate one another.
Saldana: Political debates almost always benefit the candidate who has the better debating skills. Thus, they don't really help voters determine which candidate is most qualified for office.

The dialogue provides the most support for the claim that Tanner and Saldana disagree over which one of the following?

(A) Political candidates with strong debating skills are more likely to win elections than those with weak debating skills.
(B) A voter who watches a political debate will likely be better able, as a result, to determine which candidate is more qualified for office.
(C) Debating skills are of little use to politicians in doing their jobs once they are elected to office.
(D) The candidates with the best debating skills are the ones who are most qualified for the political offices for which they are running.
(E) Political debates tend to have a major effect on which candidate among those participating in a debate will win the election.

It was between B and D, and I chose 'D', which turned out to be wrong.

I should have used the pen & paper for this one.

Tanner (premise): Debates help Voters decide better
Tanner (conclusion): Public should demand debates

Saldana (premise): Debates help better debaters (not most qualified)
Saldana (conclusion): Debates don't help voters decide better

So, yes - Saldana's conclusion disagrees with Tanner's premise. So, (B)

In D, Saldana's premise is mentioned. However, we don't have any info on Tanner's opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
I don't understand the question. Could someone please explain what is being asked here?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
I don't understand the question. Could someone please explain what is being asked here?

Hi rekhabishop ,

I would read this question as

"The above information supports which of the following conclusion? "

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:

Hi rekhabishop ,

I would read this question as

"The above information supports which of the following conclusion? "

Does that make sense?

Yes, it does! Thanks. Though, out of curiosity, is the question stem grammatically correct?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Tanner: The public should demand political debates before [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rekhabishop wrote:
Yes, it does! Thanks. Though, out of curiosity, is the question stem grammatically correct?

Yes, it is. I mean I couldn't find anything wrong. Let me know if you find any.

Remember: Awkwardness is NEVER a reason to say the sentence is not good. :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
lMarial wrote:

(A) Political candidates with strong debating skills are more likely to win elections than those with weak debating skills.
This is never the case debating skills is putting forth the matter better therefor eout

(B) A voter who watches a political debate will likely be better able, as a result, to determine which candidate is more qualified for office.
THis is exactly what they necessarily disgree upon therefore out

(C) Debating skills are of little use to politicians in doing their jobs once they are elected to office.
This is out of context and doesn't have the slightest implication therefore out

(D) The candidates with the best debating skills are the ones who are most qualified for the political offices for which they are running.
This may not be the ideal case always , however there is a possibility also that best debating candidate is also the better of the two which they might agree upon therefore out

(E) Political debates tend to have a major effect on which candidate among those participating in a debate will win the election.
This may or may not be the case therefore out

THerefore IMO B
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts