Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:24 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [7]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [20]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Sentence Correction is a nightmare! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tusharrgarg93 wrote:
I am having trouble in increasing my verbal score. My previous GMATprep score was 660 Q49 V31. And strangely (Or not), out of 18 Q's, which I got wrong in verbal, 10 were SC questions.
I have virtually done all the official questions that are available. Also, I got 8 out of last 9 questions wrong. That's pretty bad. I am not sure, how to keep the concentration going on until the end of the test. And that's really hampering my performance. Hoping for a response from you all.

Awesome response, HKD1710!

I just have a couple of small things to add:

• Sometimes test-takers make the mistake of thinking that SC is all about memorizing a half-billion grammar rules, and that's not really what SC is all about. This may or may not apply to you, but this article might help a little bit: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-sc- ... 44623.html
  • If stamina is an issue, you might consider putting verbal earlier in your test. Here's a long discussion on section order: https://gmatclub.com/forum/big-gmat-cha ... 42718.html
  • I'd argue that SC is the easiest thing to improve once you figure out how to think about your weaknesses properly. So you're not necessarily in a horrible spot, if you can figure out what's causing the trouble.

Good luck with your studies!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Tushar verbal sentence correction is a very tricky thing. It is not just about rules but about the meaning and logic. I personally found the egmat really helpful. If you need any specific tips message me
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Tushar,

SC is generally the most frequent Verbal question type that you'll see on Test Day, so if your goal is to score at high level overall, then you cannot afford to be weak at SC. That having been said, SC is based on a handful of grammar rules and a variety of idiom/style rules that could show up on the Exam - so the knowledge that you'd have to gain would be limited. While you don't have to be a 'grammar ace' to deal with most SCs, you DO need to know the major rules and learn to take advantage of the built-in patterns that exist in SCs (in that way, it's similar to Geometry - while you need to know the math rules involved, there are often Tactics and patterns that you can use to get to the correct answer faster).

You also bring up the issue of a 'lack of concentration', which is a different subject altogether. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [2]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
tusharrgarg93 wrote:
Dear HKD1710,

Thank you for such an amazing response!
The only thing that I am not sure about how is how to get conceptwise or topicwise questions. Is there any website or material that I can refer to? Also, I was thinking of subscribing to E-Gmat verbal course. What do you think, is it worth the time and money?

Please make use of the following URLs:

Look at the URLs on the following link. Scroll down on those URLs to see questions presented in a table concept and difficulty wise. So this covers all your OGs and verbal review questions :D
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-official-guides-the-master-directory-links-all-you-need-228566.html

Here is EVERYTHING that you'd need:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php

I have only heard the positive response about e-gmat till now. If you have no course then you may go for it for sure.

P.S: A course can take the score to a certain level but to become a V40+ guy, it's all one's hardwork (not only practice but REVISION).

GMATNinja - Thank you for the additional points and your notice :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Tushar,

I was in the same boat as you are. Have you ever tried any Thursdays with Ron videos on SC, if you haven’t, I recommend that you check out at least one. In my opinion, it is The best source to learn SC, you can confirm this by watching one of his videos on any given SC topic, lets say, parallelism and then attempt all SC official questions on parallelism on Gmatclub and see your accuracy. I would also recommend you to read Mgmat sc book once completely to ensure you have all the basics covered as far as SC is concerned. Let me know how it goes.

Regards
Ravi

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Tushar,

I scored a 47Q/31V on my first exam, so I feel like we're in a similar boat. What has helped me immensely is pulling the "blinders" off on SC. The videos from Thursday's with Ron really preach this message. Once I started focusing more time with the original sentence (~80% of my time on the problem), I was able to better understand the meaning and structure of the sentence. This alone has helped increase my accuracy and speed quite a bit. Just search for his videos on google and check out the ones on meaning. Hope this helps and feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!

Best of luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos