It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence Correction is a nightmare!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 33

Sentence Correction is a nightmare! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 10:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey, Everyone!

I am having trouble in increasing my verbal score. My previous GMATprep score was 660 Q49 V31. And strangely (Or not), out of 18 Q's, which I got wrong in verbal, 10 were SC questions.
I have virtually done all the official questions that are available. Also, I got 8 out of last 9 questions wrong. That's pretty bad. I am not sure, how to keep the concentration going on until the end of the test. And that's really hampering my performance. Hoping for a response from you all.

Cheers!

Tushar

3 KUDOS received
D

Kudos [?]: 464 [3], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Sentence Correction is a nightmare! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tusharrgarg93 wrote:
Hey, Everyone!

I am having trouble in increasing my verbal score. My previous GMATprep score was 660 Q49 V31. And strangely (Or not), out of 18 Q's, which I got wrong in verbal, 10 were SC questions.
I have virtually done all the official questions that are available. Also, I got 8 out of last 9 questions wrong. That's pretty bad. I am not sure, how to keep the concentration going on until the end of the test. And that's really hampering my performance. Hoping for a response from you all.

Cheers!

Tushar

Hi tusharrgarg93,

Are you done with all the verbal questions from the following list:

1. OG-10,12,13,15,16,18
2. Verbal Review
3. GMATPrep (All the questions of default CAT 1&2)
4. Question Pack - 1
5. Exam Pack - 1
6. Exam Pack - 1
7. GMAT Paper tests
8. MGMAT
9. Powerscore GMAT CR & RC
10. LSAT (Relevant questions)

There are so many questions to do. Frankly Official questions are no less in numbers. So why is there no improvement? here are the things to focus:

Concept learning phase:

1. Learn a concept
2. Apply it on 10 questions
3. Learn a new concept
4. Revise the earlier learnt concept & Review the learnings from the errors you made
4. Practice 10 questions based on the new concept along with 5 questions on previously learned concept
5. Follow 1-4

Practice Phase:
1. Do set of questions in timed manner
2. Do them again without time
3. Matched the choices with & without timer and give unmatched ones thought
4. Now check the answer
5. Note down learning from each and every question that you got wrong/right but took more time/ even from the correct ones if there anything new

CAT taking phase:
1. Start taking CATs
2. review them properly
3. Find out areas of improvement

Keep following the above phases to:
1. work on the areas that needs your attention
2. Practice CAT taking skills
3. Betterment in your strategies
4. Also to let the 4 hour thing be your favorite game.

The most important: Do less but learn more

so do not think that you're done with all the study material. Students take GMAT multiple times but they have same questions to go over. what so different they do for their successful attempt? nothing but they learn all that is possible from a question and revise that again and again until that learning become their second nature.

All the best. Feel free to shoot a followup question.

Hope it helps you :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 464 [3], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 11:09
Dear HKD1710,

Thank you for such an amazing response!
The only thing that I am not sure about how is how to get conceptwise or topicwise questions. Is there any website or material that I can refer to? Also, I was thinking of subscribing to E-Gmat verbal course. What do you think, is it worth the time and money?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1869 [1], given: 448

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tusharrgarg93 wrote:

Awesome response, HKD1710!

I just have a couple of small things to add:

• Sometimes test-takers make the mistake of thinking that SC is all about memorizing a half-billion grammar rules, and that's not really what SC is all about. This may or may not apply to you, but this article might help a little bit: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-sc- ... 44623.html
  • If stamina is an issue, you might consider putting verbal earlier in your test. Here's a long discussion on section order: https://gmatclub.com/forum/big-gmat-cha ... 42718.html
  • I'd argue that SC is the easiest thing to improve once you figure out how to think about your weaknesses properly. So you're not necessarily in a horrible spot, if you can figure out what's causing the trouble.

Good luck with your studies!!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1869 [1], given: 448

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 12:49
Tushar verbal sentence correction is a very tricky thing. It is not just about rules but about the meaning and logic. I personally found the egmat really helpful. If you need any specific tips message me

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 42

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 13:17
Hi Tushar,

SC is generally the most frequent Verbal question type that you'll see on Test Day, so if your goal is to score at high level overall, then you cannot afford to be weak at SC. That having been said, SC is based on a handful of grammar rules and a variety of idiom/style rules that could show up on the Exam - so the knowledge that you'd have to gain would be limited. While you don't have to be a 'grammar ace' to deal with most SCs, you DO need to know the major rules and learn to take advantage of the built-in patterns that exist in SCs (in that way, it's similar to Geometry - while you need to know the math rules involved, there are often Tactics and patterns that you can use to get to the correct answer faster).

You also bring up the issue of a 'lack of concentration', which is a different subject altogether. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3510 [0], given: 173

1 KUDOS received
D

Kudos [?]: 464 [1], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
tusharrgarg93 wrote:
Dear HKD1710,

Thank you for such an amazing response!
The only thing that I am not sure about how is how to get conceptwise or topicwise questions. Is there any website or material that I can refer to? Also, I was thinking of subscribing to E-Gmat verbal course. What do you think, is it worth the time and money?

Please make use of the following URLs:

Look at the URLs on the following link. Scroll down on those URLs to see questions presented in a table concept and difficulty wise. So this covers all your OGs and verbal review questions :D
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-official-guides-the-master-directory-links-all-you-need-228566.html

Here is EVERYTHING that you'd need:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php

I have only heard the positive response about e-gmat till now. If you have no course then you may go for it for sure.

P.S: A course can take the score to a certain level but to become a V40+ guy, it's all one's hardwork (not only practice but REVISION).

GMATNinja - Thank you for the additional points and your notice :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 464 [1], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 21

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 15:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Tushar,

I was in the same boat as you are. Have you ever tried any Thursdays with Ron videos on SC, if you haven’t, I recommend that you check out at least one. In my opinion, it is The best source to learn SC, you can confirm this by watching one of his videos on any given SC topic, lets say, parallelism and then attempt all SC official questions on parallelism on Gmatclub and see your accuracy. I would also recommend you to read Mgmat sc book once completely to ensure you have all the basics covered as far as SC is concerned. Let me know how it goes.

Regards
Ravi

Posted from my mobile device

If the post helps, kudos please.

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 21

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 20:53
Hi Tushar,

I scored a 47Q/31V on my first exam, so I feel like we're in a similar boat. What has helped me immensely is pulling the "blinders" off on SC. The videos from Thursday's with Ron really preach this message. Once I started focusing more time with the original sentence (~80% of my time on the problem), I was able to better understand the meaning and structure of the sentence. This alone has helped increase my accuracy and speed quite a bit. Just search for his videos on google and check out the ones on meaning. Hope this helps and feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!

Best of luck!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 56

Re: Sentence Correction is a nightmare!   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 20:53

Sentence Correction is a nightmare!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap